• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Horn Origin vs Impact

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    I have a 6mm Creedmoor utilizing an Impact action. I'm wanting to do another build in 6mm Dasher. Thinking of going the Bighorn Origin route this time to save $425. What if anything will i be giving up? Both accept prefits which i like. I hear a lot of good things about Bighorn , but wanted to get some imput. I do like my Impact. Will i notice a lot of difference? Thanks

I was curious about the exact opposite. My Origin is the first custom action I've owned. It's a huge step up from the rifles I've owned in the past including fully worked 700 actions. How much more do I gain if I step up to a 737R? If you lived close we should have a range day and swap rifles. I have 2000 yards worth of private range...

Reactions: Feesh
    I was curious about the exact opposite. My Origin is the first custom action I've owned. It's a huge step up from the rifles I've owned in the past including fully worked 700 actions. How much more do I gain if I step up to a 737R? If you lived close we should have a range day and swap rifles. I have 2000 yards worth of private range...
    that would work for me

Looking to buy my first custom action and considering both. I like that the Origin accepts shoulder and barrel nut prefits as the latter tends to be cheaper. Also, the cost of bolt face changes appears cheaper.

The two really aren't on the same level. The origin is the budget line of actions and the Impact is a top shelf action. That being said, the origin punches far above it's weight so to speak.

I own a TL3 and played with an Impact. It seems to me that the impact doesn't hang up at the rear of the stroke like the bighorn does, and the impact seems to keep the finish better. The DLC on the bolt on my TL3 is pretty worn down and I haven't even had it a year yet. Both bolts run smooth and lock up tight.

My advise to OP, you probably won't be disappointed with the origin if you go into it knowing that it's $425 cheaper and comes with its own little idiosyncrasies.

My advise to anyone new to customs, Bighorn's offerings are much more versatile than the Impact, but they take some getting used to.

All in all, if you're set in the cartridge you want to shoot and the accuracy difference between a criterion prefit and a shouldered barrel is a hindrance (1/8 - 1/4 MOA difference in my experience) then it's probably worth it to spend the extra on an Impact. Otherwise, Bighorn's offerings are a great option at good prices.

Well people in my shooting group have stopped using the big horn and went to impact. We also dropped defiance, Curtis, ARC mausingfield, ARC nucleus. All for impacts lol.

Well people in my shooting group have stopped using the big horn and went to impact. We also dropped defiance, Curtis, ARC mausingfield, ARC nucleus. All for impacts lol.
    Wow, what made you guys drop curtis? I could see the rest because they're 90 degree throws

The two really aren't on the same level. The origin is the budget line of actions and the Impact is a top shelf action. That being said, the origin punches far above it's weight so to speak.

I own a TL3 and played with an Impact. It seems to me that the impact doesn't hang up at the rear of the stroke like the bighorn does, and the impact seems to keep the finish better. The DLC on the bolt on my TL3 is pretty worn down and I haven't even had it a year yet. Both bolts run smooth and lock up tight.

My advise to OP, you probably won't be disappointed with the origin if you go into it knowing that it's $425 cheaper and comes with its own little idiosyncrasies.

My advise to anyone new to customs, Bighorn's offerings are much more versatile than the Impact, but they take some getting used to.

All in all, if you're set in the cartridge you want to shoot and the accuracy difference between a criterion prefit and a shouldered barrel is a hindrance (1/8 - 1/4 MOA difference in my experience) then it's probably worth it to spend the extra on an Impact. Otherwise, Bighorn's offerings are a great option at good prices.
    thank you, this is the response i was looking for. Much appreciated

Wow, what made you guys drop curtis? I could see the rest because they're 90 degree throws

well sometime tried and true get that way for a reason and new kids on the block go through struggles to get there. They might be a great action but we will not pick one up. More for personal reasons honestly though. Just stuff that occurred.

Impact is also 90°.

All the actions are top tier (well, not really the Curtis...), so it would be more a matter of personal preference then anything.

I can find people that prefer any of those actions over an Impact, but that doesn't mean someone should pick any of those actions over an Impact (or vice versa).

Impact is also 90°.

All the actions are top tier (well, not really the Curtis...), so it would be more a matter of personal preference then anything.

I can find people that prefer any of those actions over an Impact, but that doesn't mean someone should pick any of those actions over an Impact (or vice versa).
    Right. I would assume someone would pick the Curtis over the others because of the 60 degree throw, as it's a central feature if the action. Assuming someone likes the short throw I would think it would take a big improvement or a problem to make them switch to a 2 lug.

I don't have an impact but a couple tl3's an SR3 and an origin. The origin has a 6 br barrel with an x calliber prefit and mdt br mags. It is well below .5 moa all day as they say, litterally it shoots 105 bergers with 29-30 grains of varget half inch for as many rounds as you want to fire even with me, who is a self admitted shitty group shooter. It feeds flawlessly which is a big deal with the BR and MDT mags. I thought they all worked that well but the more I see other actions seem to have hiccups with the br based cartridges. I think the control round feed really helps. I'm about to screw on a 6 dasher prefit to one of my tl3's so we shall see if my luck holds out. If it wasnt a BR based cartidge I would definitely say try out the impact but for the dasher I think the origin will make you very happy.

I don't have an impact but a couple tl3's an SR3 and an origin. The origin has a 6 br barrel with an x calliber prefit and mdt br mags. It is well below .5 moa all day as they say, litterally it shoots 105 bergers with 29-30 grains of varget half inch for as many rounds as you want to fire even with me, who is a self admitted shitty group shooter. It feeds flawlessly which is a big deal with the BR and MDT mags. I thought they all worked that well but the more I see other actions seem to have hiccups with the br based cartridges. I think the control round feed really helps. I'm about to screw on a 6 dasher prefit to one of my tl3's so we shall see if my luck holds out. If it wasnt a BR based cartidge I would definitely say try out the impact but for the dasher I think the origin will make you very happy.
    That is one thing I love about my TL3. It just runs with anything you throw at it. I've used almost every AICS mag out there with the exception of AW mags and it fed every time.

Curtis if you want fast and clunky. Impact if you want all smooth errything. Both work, personal preference, yada yada. Impact for me 10/10 times, but the Curtis will do the dance for sure.

Origin, for as good a value as it provides, doesn’t belong in the same conversation as either.

I have both - love both

the origin you will want to get the trigger timed (or take some specific measurements and give them to Ray and he'll send you a custom cocking piece to reduce the cock on close).

my origin is super smooth and broken in nicely.

Were it me, and playing with a short case like a dasher, I'd opt for the Origin with controlled feed. Less headaches with ejection, or cases coming off the bolt face and falling back in the action.

JMTCW...

I love my Impact, aside from AI, it’s my favorite action, just in feel it’s great but also the machining is excellent, I switch barrels and own all 3 available bolts. My smith commented how great it was when he cut a proof barrel for a buddies 6GT.

I wish I could speak for impact feeding 6 dasher but I have absolutely no issues feeding 6GT and 6CR, with stock accurate ordnance and AI mags, I open the feed lips a little and that’s all. With MPA Hyrbid/BA Comp. Between several calibers I’ve yet to have a malfunction that wasn’t me short stroking the bolt.

That being said good friend of mine has the WTO Switch lug on his TL3 and it’s a sub .5, that wins frequently in various comps, places well at Mammoth.

So there’s no wrong answer amongst your options.

Have a TL3 and Impact. Played with an Origin.

TL3 and Impact have similar smoothness of bolt going back and forth. Impact less likely to bind with upward pressure on bolt. TL3 has a nicer feeling bolt close. If I had to choose, it would probably be Impact due to integral rail.

Origin Feel was a little disappointing and not to the level of the TL3.

Reactions: just browsing
    I’d get another Impact. I like the one I have better than the TL-3 I had. The TL-3 is still a great action.

Here’s another idea. If you get another Impact action, you can shoot out a barrel with a Dasher chamber and have that barrel re-chambered in 6Creed and shoot it out again. You may not even need to cut any off the breech end. The 6Creed is such a barrel burner the few hundred rounds saved isn’t worth a whole new barrel.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
    My .02

The Lone Peak Fuzion is at the top of the list. It's about the smoothest I've ever felt and the bolt lift is extremely light.

My buddy got ahold of mine and immediately sold a terminus to purchase his own lone peak. He was pleased with the performance of the terminus but the 60 degree throw just wasn't for him.

I have an Origin with a stainless Proof 6mm Dasher prefit. I knew from the get go that I wanted either a Dasher or a BR. The CRF, extractor and mechanical ejector were all features that I figured would be well suited to the short BR cases. The ability to use prefit barrels and interchangeable bolt heads was a big plus as well. I stuck mine in a Manners PRS1 for now with Hawkins DBM (no mini-chassis). My Timney Calvin Elite timed up great out of the package. I have nearly no cock on close. Its really light and smooth. I have two magazines.. a 5 round AI with a Primal Rights kit and an Altus +2 bottom plate for a total of 6 rounds, and an MDT 12 rounder. Both function perfectly without any tweaking. I am still fire forming right now with Lapua brass, but it will shoot .3-.5 minute at 100 yards as long as I don't blow it. I didn't have a lot of money going into the build, so the amount I saved on an action basically paid for my barrel. I bought a vise and an action wrench and assembled myself.

Reactions: Ben17
    TL3 all day, every day. Haven't heard or seen problems with Impact. Curtis has problems all the time but it's a hip action that sponsors cool kids so it's defended fiercely. Defend it all you want I've been standing there and seen em go down.

I use the same rifle for practice as for matches. Swap the barrel and TL3 bolt head and all my practice reps are on an identical gun without spending money to build a second trainer. Can switch between 6x47L for matches and 223 for practice easy least.

You could do similar with an impact but would have to buy another whole bolt at close to 3x the cost of a Bighorn bolt head.

Reactions: kthomas
    If you this is your first custom, you will be more than happy with either.

I started with a Deviant and Nucleus. Then I got an Impact. Then I grabbed an Origin for a budget build. The Impact is by far my favorite. It is light on bolt open, and does not bind at any point in the bolt cycle. My Nucleus is the same way in regards to no binding. The Origin is smooth on bolt open, but has a little bit of bind at the back of the stroke occasionally. I've played with a couple of TL3s that have the same thing. That said, they are great actions, and if you learn on it, you get used to it and don't even know it's there. I know Area 419 has 15% off (if I remember correctly) in stock actions right now. Might be worth a look, and for the discount you might want to consider a Nucleus as well.

Thanks for all the info. The knowledge put forth in these forums is always educational and it seems i learn something new here all the time. I decided to go with another Impact since i already like the one I have. Figured it was better to go that way , than save a few dollars and get something i may end up wishing i hadn't. I already have a barrel so that isn't part of the factor. David at precision having a corona virus sale going on right now, hooked me up with one and a big thank you to him. All stay well