• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Horn Origin

Sam19kilo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 4, 2019
    WY
    I was lucky enough to snag a big horn 50% cert off an origin and already ordered it. What’s the best route for a prefit barrel for it?

If you're looking into a proof barrel, Call Paul Butler @ Evolved Ballistics - 210-872-7790. He'll make you a good deal on them.

Reactions: NVScout
    Lots of shops are offering prefit now. Hunts long range, altus, mile high, patriot valley, Proof has some specific contours and calibers. I'm sure there are WAY more. Check with your local guy...

what he said ^^^^

I've gotten a prefit from Altus that shot fantastic. and now i'm waiting on a prefit from Paradigm Gunworx.

lots of a guys out there will spin up a shouldered prefit for your Origin! and they don't even need your action in hand.

just need a barrel vice and action wrench to install. easy peasy

I’ve installed two remage barrels on my 700 from criterion, they shot sub 1/2, easy load development, just seeing what guys are having good luck with. Thinking of trying s Hawkhill prefit

x caliber barrels has worked great for me, but wait for there %25 off deals that they run 4 times a year. If your mil than you can get steel proof savage prefits on expertvoice.

Last edited:
    My pva barrel is super accurate, but not sure how long you’ll wait to get it.

Mark Chanlynn is my standard since I don't live too far from him but timing is key. He does different calibers during the year. Has has some fast twist 22 centerfire barrels and is starting on 33 caliber. He is doing a 338-06 barrel for me on an Origin action I just picked up from Big Horn.

Bought PVA off this site 6.5 x47 cut rifled. Super accurate and fit perfect on my Bighorn tl3.

basically any smith will do an origin shouldered prefit without seeing the action.

don't hamstring yourself by going with a barrel nut. use that big beefy 1.25" shank

This. I had Caleb at Alpha & Omega spin up a shouldered prefit for this 16.5” .243. Any smith worthy of the title should be able to set you up just fine.

EFDF2D43-26CD-4363-9774-23174F47D6BE.jpeg

Mark Chanlynn is my standard since I don't live too far from him but timing is key. He does different calibers during the year. Has has some fast twist 22 centerfire barrels and is starting on 33 caliber. He is doing a 338-06 barrel for me on an Origin action I just picked up from Big Horn.
    Mark is a great guy who makes a great barrel. I 'm currently builiding 6.5 PRC on a Bighorn TLE with one of Mark's barrels.

Krieger from Keystone Accuracy

Are they up and running? I know they were making a move from Bluebell, PA to north of Scranton but don't know if new shop is operational yet.

TM6

Are they up and running? I know they were making a move from Bluebell, PA to north of Scranton but don't know if new shop is operational yet.

TM6

They never weren't operational. Old shop is still open, new shop is going up as we speak..

Reactions: TM6
    Southern Precision Rifles,(Bugholes), also does the pre-fits for the Origin. Lead time is about 1 month. Greg usually replies to all inquiries (phone/email) within a day or two, as does John from Keystone. Both those guys crank out some barrels and still manage good communications even with a heavy work load.

TM6

Northland shooters supply has a large inventory of Criterion and Shilen prefit barrels on the shelf and ready to ship. I’ve had great luck with all of my barrels I’ve purchased from them

Reactions: John Glidewell

TM6
    He’s definitely still spinning up barrels.
    Got mine from him last week and it’s awesome.

Northland shooters supply has a large inventory of Criterion and Shilen prefit barrels on the shelf and ready to ship. I’ve had great luck with all of my barrels I’ve purchased from them

I’ve gotten two Shilen barrels from them.
    Both have been awesome.

Reactions: Average guy
    He’s definitely still spinning up barrels.
    Got mine from him last week and it’s awesome.

I’ve gotten two Shilen barrels from them.
    Both have been awesome.
    I just screwed on a Criterion prefit from them on a 783. Less than a hundred rounds and 1/2 moa. Glass bedding as we speak. Hopefully .3 is in the future.

x caliber barrels has worked great for me, but wait for there %25 off deals that they run 4 times a year. If your mil than you can get steel proof savage prefits on expertvoice.
    They don’t have a competition contour for the 6.5cm I want I was looking on there

then yours to Bighorn to get timed and your opinion will change
    Hey I’m interested in the trigger timing for the origin. I heard if you send them the trigger they will time it, is it possible for me to do that and adjust the sear engagement?

Hey I’m interested in the trigger timing for the origin. I heard if you send them the trigger they will time it, is it possible for me to do that and adjust the sear engagement?
    Just send the trigger to bighorn and theyll do it before they ship you the action. Easier and cheaper

There's a post somewhere about the measurements you need to make

Hawk Hill with barrel nut. Usually in stock if looking for standard calibers. They shoot as well as anything I’ve tried.