• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin BDL Issues

rootacres

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2020
Hello All,

This is my first post here at snipers hide, I hope all of your expertise will help me with a rather frustrating deal.

So I am going down the road of my first build and jumped in feet first. This is a designated hunting rifle, axial precision stock, bighorn origin SA, McGowen 22" barrel, timney HIT etc.

Heres my problem, this is a 7mm WSM in a BDL setup. With 2 rounds in the mag box upon cycling the bolt the first round will pop straight out of the box into the chamber and when pushing the bolt forward it will pick up the second round. Basically its trying to chamber 2 rounds at the same time. I can't seem to figure this out. The bighorn has a Rem Mag cut.

What should I be looking at?

I have a Wyatts CFE-6 kit on order. This could make it a mute point but I still would like to know why this happening.

Does the gun currently have a WSM mag box and follower installed?

It does, I couldn’t tell you which one. I scooped it up used. I’ve tried two different WSM followers with the same results.

Does your mag box have windows on the side? I believe the WSM boxes have windows like the RUM boxes in long action.

The issue you are having sounds like the round is not staying "underneath" the action feed lip and popping up prematurely. Running a different mag box or spreading yours will allow more of the round to stay under the action feed lip.

Does your mag box have windows on the side? I believe the WSM boxes have windows like the RUM boxes in long action.

The issue you are having sounds like the round is not staying "underneath" the action feed lip and popping up prematurely. Running a different mag box or spreading yours will allow more of the round to stay under the action feed lip.

Mine does not have the windows on the sides. It does appear the round is not staying below the action feed lips. My C.A. Ridgeline 300 WSM has the mag box with the windows cutout but it is also the extended box they use on their rifles. It won’t fit a standard WSM action. (This was news to me, I figured C.A.was just a standard short action)

Sounds like you are on the right track by swapping the mag box. This will most likely solve your issue.......however you may still need to tweak it here and there.

WSMs and BDLs can be a finicky combo.

Ern