• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BigHorn Origin Ejection Issue

midSCarolina

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2012
I recently was able to take my Origin build out for the first time and had some trouble getting proper ejection. It is a 6.5PRC with PVA barrel. The rounds chamber perfectly and the rifle shoots well so no other issues other than the ejection. When using a 3 round Accurate Mag 300 WSM mag, the first round always hangs up in the ejection port. Typically the 2nd and 3rd rounds will clear the port but are only thrown a few inches in the 2 o'clock direction no matter how quickly the bolt is cycled. I adjusted the magazines feed lips so that the rounds are held a little lower in the magazine and that helped some but definitely not 100%. It does not have the same issue when cycling live rounds... live rounds cycle just fine. Even with no magazine inserted, ejection is still pretty weak and if the bolt is cycled relatively slow (not unreasonably) the case will just fall straight through the magwell. Being somewhat of a noob, i'm not sure if this is significant or not, but if i take the bolt out of the rifle, rounds don't seem to be held very tightly to the bolt face... if I invert the bolt, the round falls out of it. Let me know if y'all have any thoughts on this or if this is going to take professional help. Thanks.

BH Ejection.jpg

bhe2.jpg

Is it a Magnum bolt head? Edited to add you can't run the bolt slow with a mechanical ejector.

How much oomph the case gets tossed with is directly related to how quickly you snap the bolt rearward.

I had some feeding problems with my TL3 when I first got it till I learned what it needed to function at full speed vs slow.

It is a magnum bolt head. Disregard the whole running it slow thing then. Those that didn't clear the port (as pictured) happened when running the bolt full speed. I tried to run it with varying degrees of oomph just to see if there was a certain speed it liked and nothing worked.

I had same issue with 6.5prc in an origin, but I was using a 7rd 300wsm mag. With more than 2 rds in the 7rd mag, there was enough mag spring pressure to trap a fired case between ejection port and top rd in mag. It would eject loaded rds, due to weight inertia of loaded rd. Once I got to 2 or less rds in mag it ejected empties good. It would have been issue free if ejection port rear top corner was square instead of a trapezoid shape. The fix for this, from Ray@zermatt, was to bend rear of feed lips in so top rd in mag is a little lower. Its a fine line, cause the top rd needs to be high enough for bolt to strip it from mag. I had a deadline 6.5prc that fed like a raped ape, and I didn't feel like dicking with mags to make origin run and compromise another rifle feeding. Luckily a hell of a deal on a badger popped up and I sold off orogon action and manners to help buy the badger.

I do like the origin, have one again a 6creed. Try tweaking just rear of feed lips to hold rear of top rd down. Go a little at a time.

Check the extractor claw, I damaged one on my origin and it’s was causing issues with extraction where is would barely throw the brass and then chuck it like there was no tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: midSCarolina
When I talked to Ray, he knew exactly what problem was, as did I, and knew what the fix was.

@6brshooter nailed it. Your cartridges in your mag are presenting too high into your chamber. As was said, it's a fine line of too high and too low, but once i got it figured out i can't make it hiccup at all..

Appreciate all the help guys... that makes sense. What are y’all using to bend the feedlips. I couldn’t really get a good angle on them with players so ended up using a light hammer. It definitely improved function but I guess I’ll need to take them down a little further

Appreciate all the help guys... that makes sense. What are y’all using to bend the feedlips. I couldn’t really get a good angle on them with players so ended up using a light hammer. It definitely improved function but I guess I’ll need to take them down a little further

The brass isn’t hitting your windage turret and falling back into the action are they? The razor has large turrets and mounted low they can cause some issues. Check underneath the wind age turret and see if you have brass marks. The live rounds may be heavy enough to keep them from flipping up and into the turret.

Reactions: MarinePMI
The brass isn’t hitting your windage turret and falling back into the action are they? The razor has large turrets and mounted low they can cause some issues. Check underneath the wind age turret and see if you have brass marks. The live rounds may be heavy enough to keep them from flipping up and into the turret.

200 bucks says its doing what I said, lol. I really like the origin, and tl3 actions, I just wish they'd squared up the rear corner of port.

Reactions: wade2big
I always forget about that issue, and now I need to check my setup since well I’m running a razor slammed on a tl3

200 bucks says its doing what I said, lol. I really like the origin, and tl3 actions, I just wish they'd squared up the rear corner of port.

definitely not hitting the turret... it was pretty clear that the brass never left the port. I’m not seeing any brass marks on the turret either but will keep an eye on it

Reactions: wade2big
I got in touch with bighorn and they said that the adjusting the feedlips should solve the issue. I ordered that tool from MPA so am going to wait to get that in and then try to get things 100%

I haven't had any problems with ejection on mine (and I like the ejection port shape). Mine is a BDL type setup in 6.5 PRC, so I will mirror above and suggest you continue to adjust the feedlips. Case diameter on the PRC is a little smaller than the WSM the mags are made for, so some adjustment is to be expected.

Does anyone have this issue with a 6.5CM? What about .308?

Try loading a spent case, then drop the mag and run the bolt. If it ejects without issue you know the mag is involved.

If not, it's something else.

Try loading a spent case, then drop the mag and run the bolt. If it ejects without issue you know the mag is involved.

If not, it's something else.

It was clearing spent cases (ironically... considering that was my initial issue) but would drop live rounds straight through the magwell. Ray at Zermatt ended up just sending a new extractor to try out and that fixed it. I still needed to adjust to feedlips so that the rounds would sit just a little lower in the mag to get some extra clearance but I was able to cycle a few mags through it and there was a big difference in how the action was throwing brass with the new extractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_beardsly
That was a nice easy fix, I had him send me a new extractor after mine got fubar ripping a stuck case out of the chamber, I might of used a hammer on the bolt handle to gently persuade it out. I ran the rest of the match and only noticed an issue after dry firing dummy rounds