• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

Mine will be done any day now .
Bighorn tl3 (dlc)
Bartlein 6.5 1-8 heavy Palma
Manners elite tactical t6-a ( elite swamp)
Trigger tech diamond
Badger m5 enhanced dbm
S&B 3-27x56 high power PMii tremor 3
Badger rings
Accuracy 1st bubble level

Same with mine, in the next week or two, if Aarons timetable don't go down the tube again. tl3, sr3 both in eh6a's mini chassis'.. M-10 rings and LRHSi's, TT diamonds. Both with Proof sendero light cf.

Same with mine, in the next week or two, if Aarons timetable don't go down the tube again. tl3, sr3 both in eh6a's mini chassis'.. M-10 rings and LRHSi's, TT diamonds. Both with Proof sendero light cf.

You win.

32EE6993-02D0-48C6-8971-337CAC743E47.jpeg

Pic on bench while it awaits Area 419 IAR, rings/scope and bipod. Rail is installed now, waiting on new Kahles and rings.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 172
Does anyone know if the new Bix n Andy tac sport pro works with the tl3?

Did you have to get the lower sear like you do on the regular tac sport?

Finally got my TL3 action in after 12 weeks, and thanks to you guys about 5k later she’s done. Turned out exactly how I wanted as a lightweight hunting/prs gun. Without a mag and bipod it came in right at 10.5lbs.

View attachment 6928211

Nice looking rifle! Did you have the bolt body and knob cerakoted to match the DLC receiver?? Looks awesome.

Reactions: duramaxed
Nice looking rifle! Did you have the bolt body and knob cerakoted to match the DLC receiver?? Looks awesome.

Sure did, I called bighorn right before my order was fulfilled and they were able to cerakote the bolt body, upper bolt handle, and the bolt release button black for an extra $45. Pretty good price and they inspect everything before it ships to ensure the cerakote doesn’t interfere with any function. Already shooting .2 groups with the rifle, the tl3 and proof cf barrel were a great match.

Sure did, I called bighorn right before my order was fulfilled and they were able to cerakote the bolt body, upper bolt handle, and the bolt release button black for an extra $45. Pretty good price and they inspect everything before it ships to ensure the cerakote doesn’t interfere with any function. Already shooting .2 groups with the rifle, the tl3 and proof cf barrel were a great match.

Wow that is crazy cheap and convenient. I do like the color contrast with the standard bolt knob/body, but the blackout looks great too.

Reactions: gconnoyer
Looks awesome. I wish they were doing/offering that when I built mine. I hate the grey bolt body

@gconnoyer If it really bothers you, give them a call. I'd bet that you could just send in the bolt and have them cerakote those pieces. Without the receiver they wouldn't be able to clearance/function check but the TL3 have pretty good clearance and I bet cerakote won't affect anything. Might be a bit more expensive than $45 but they might be able to help you out.

Cerakote elite actually works in favor of the TL3, considering the clearance. I had my receiver DLCd and barrel cerakoted and now sent the bolt back to have it cerakoted. I love the TL3 and SR3, but my TL3 binds a bit in the rear when running it. Where as my buddies who got cerakoted elite on the entire action does not.

I noticed that on someones bolt as well before I built mine. They had it cerakoted and it definitely takes up a bit of that looseness

Traditionally i'd stray far away from cerakote on a custom action, especially a defiance or something "tight" but i have to give them some credit cerakote elite is pretty slick and for the TL3 it actually works quite well. I'd still stay away from regular cerakote.

For anyone that wants to know, we source our Cerakote work to DC Precision. Dave is a great guy and helps us out part time in the shop. His work is phenomenal and he can do a wide variety of different things. You can see some of his work on our Instagram or Facebook page (bighorn_arms and Bighorn Arms) or you can just follow him (Heavy_Petta and DC Precision LLC).

I just wanted to give everyone following this TL3 thread a heads up that the TL3 will not fit in a MDT LSS chassis. The recoil lug is too wide. A few months ago I settled on the MDT LSS chassis for him due to length of pull and overall weight. I ordered a TL3 for my sons 7th birthday and when it arrived it would not fit in the MDT LSS chassis. And to top it all off he is left handed. ?

Okay, so I’ve decided it’s time to build a new gun on a TL3 action. Here’s what I’m thinking so far...
-TL3 Short Action-DLC Coated
-22” Bartlein LH Gain Twist(8.25-7.25 maybe?) Chambered in 6.5CM
-Still debating on a stock, really leaning McMillan A5, bit the JAE chassis intrigue me also
-I like a 2 stage trigger but don’t like my Calvin Elite so I’m thinking forget 2 stage and go Trigger Tech Diamond
-Really Right Stuff dove tail on the bottom, those rails seem to be the way things are going.
-Harris bipod
-top it off with a 5-25 F1 ATACR if I can scrounge the cash together!
-Also, what Mag system do you guys recommend with the TL3?

What do you all think? I would love to take one of Frank’s classes in Colorado next summer, based on lead times do you guys think I could have this done by mid-spring if I order everything Monday?

Any advice or guildance to a young shooter is appreciated!

Okay, so I’ve decided it’s time to build a new gun on a TL3 action. Here’s what I’m thinking so far...
-TL3 Short Action-DLC Coated
-22” Bartlein LH Gain Twist(8.25-7.25 maybe?) Chambered in 6.5CM
-Still debating on a stock, really leaning McMillan A5, bit the JAE chassis intrigue me also
-I like a 2 stage trigger but don’t like my Calvin Elite so I’m thinking forget 2 stage and go Trigger Tech Diamond
-Really Right Stuff dove tail on the bottom, those rails seem to be the way things are going.
-Harris bipod
-top it off with a 5-25 F1 ATACR if I can scrounge the cash together!
-Also, what Mag system do you guys recommend with the TL3?

What do you all think? I would love to take one of Frank’s classes in Colorado next summer, based on lead times do you guys think I could have this done by mid-spring if I order everything Monday?

Any advice or guildance to a young shooter is appreciated!

Something I forgot to ask, what seems to me the preferred choice on theses guns, shouldered barrel is barrel nut? If I go shouldered barrel, I’d be tempted to have the flats milled in behind the muzzle break like one other gentleman did that I saw in here. Thanks!

ahart, I'm 6 months in waiting on my Bighorn barreled actions. Manners stocks took 5 months. TT triggers, 2 months.

Something I forgot to ask, what seems to me the preferred choice on theses guns, shouldered barrel is barrel nut? If I go shouldered barrel, I’d be tempted to have the flats milled in behind the muzzle break like one other gentleman did that I saw in here. Thanks!

Sounds like a nice build. While I like the concept behind left hand gain twist, I'm not sure what the lead times on custom barrel orders are with Bartlien. Lately I find whatever barrel blank I want in stock, have that shipped to my gunsmith and that cuts off a huge amount of lead time.

Many gunsmiths these days will cut a shouldered barrel for a TL3 without needing the action, so if you go with a chassis rifle vs having a stock bedded you can also speed up the process since barrel orders go much faster than full builds. You will also save on shipping costs (mailing chassis and other parts). I would lean towards ordering a shouldered barrel, then buy yourself a Bighorn action wrench and a barrel vise. Then all you need to order is the barrel and you can assemble everything yourself. Flats would be cool for fast barrel swaps but you'll probably still want an action wrench and barrel vise at some point.

Mags should all feed good for you. AICS is the simplest for plug and play, but lately I'm liking AW mags (if you get an AW cut). Had to bend the feed lips a tiny bit to match the fit to my chassis, but once I did that it feeds like butter.

Okay, I was going to contact my Smith today and ask him what his lead times are once I get the parts to him.

I really want it in either a Manners or McMillan, wish I could put my hands on both to see what I like better. Just not a fan of chassis systems personally.

As far as the barrel, I know the gain twist stuff is kind of new ground. I’ve been listening to Frank talk about it on his everyday sniper podcast, and it seems to have some benefits, even just the LH twist and the recoil impulse for me being a RH shooter. Seems like if I’m gonna build a full custom gun, I might as well go for the cutting edge. If I get it and don’t like it, my smith keeps Hawk Hills on hand dang near. But I might give Mile High a call, the usually keep a good variety of blanks on hand, at least I’ve heard.

Any comments on the TT Diamond or RRS rail? Pros? Cons?

Lastly, where is the best place to order my TL3? Straight from Bighorn? I take it there isn’t any place that would happen to have these in stock? RH Bolt and Eject Short Action Standard Bolt face DLC Coated?

Core has them in stock according to their website.

If you like traditional stocks, look into the jae. Traditional look/feel with the benefits of a chassis and in my opinion, more comfortable than both.

Also, look into a Huber “staged break” trigger.

Last edited:
Lastly, where is the best place to order my TL3? Straight from Bighorn? I take it there isn’t any place that would happen to have these in stock? RH Bolt and Eject Short Action Standard Bolt face DLC Coated?
It depends on what you want for a mag well. We can direct you to one of two places depending on if you want the AI cut or AW cut.

It depends on what you want for a mag well. We can direct you to one of two places depending on if you want the AI cut or AW cut.

What do you guys recommend? I am currently running my budget built r700 in a magpul with AI style Pmags. Seems like people are having trouble making the AW mags feed right, and since I will be buying new mags either way, AICS seems more logical, unless AW’s have some other advantage I am not aware of?

AW’s have some other advantage I am not aware of?

Easier to load. Shorter in height and more compact. Less resistance pushing a round forward with the bolt (drag of round across feed lips of mag).

Fine tuning the feed lips was easy, took 10-15 minutes... and this was to get a tiny little 6BRA to feed. With a 6.5 Creed my guess is they would most likely be plug and play.

What do you guys recommend? I am currently running my budget built r700 in a magpul with AI style Pmags. Seems like people are having trouble making the AW mags feed right, and since I will be buying new mags either way, AICS seems more logical, unless AW’s have some other advantage I am not aware of?
AI's are the easiest to "plug and play." It would be my personal recommendation since there are more options for them on the market.

Sheldon has all the insight you need on AW mags, and Sheldon is a VERY smart individual when it comes to the TL3 and how to feed AW's. Once the magazines are fine tuned, people seem to love them. It will definitely be easier to find what you're wanting with an AW cut mag well. The AI pattern mags run in AW cut receivers, they just have a potential for feeding issues if there is upward pressure on the magazine.

We can cut you anything you want with a 10 week lead time. If you want a receiver faster than that, Core, Southern Precision, PVA or Mile High Shooting all should have a DLC coated receiver on hand.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Well, AW cut seems to be the way to go! So if I do the A5, what bottom metal would guys recommend I have them inlet for?

Dang, with all the help for everyone answering my questions on here, I might get this thing ordered today!!

I run a aw cut TL3 6.5 Creedmoor with a Ruger aics magazine. Works like a champ and only cost $30. The magpul aics mag will not work with the aw cut without modifications.

So here’s an update on my build if anyone is interested. I don’t reload yet so tested with some match factory ammo and am shooting just below .5 moa on average. I Used prime and hornady and it seems to like all of them. I’m about 150rds in and the accuracy out of the proof barrel is about what I expected.

3E9FF472-C5FC-4F05-960E-E645C4447068.jpeg
5664FD0A-8351-499E-B2E9-01FD5068D93A.jpeg

300yd targets, best 2 groups were with the 147eldm ammo. Both just under an inch
FCFD3A39-1BB6-4F0A-8F66-CED9FB8C52AD.jpeg
A95BBB74-18D8-48DA-82EB-0A2E1F310F7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I run a aw cut TL3 6.5 Creedmoor with a Ruger aics magazine. Works like a champ and only cost $30. The magpul aics mag will not work with the aw cut without modifications.

Okay, I’m not worried about the Pmags not working, I’ll just keep them around for my current gun. It’s a good enough gun to keep around as a backup or if a buddy wants to shoot a local comp. with me I’d let them borrow it.

So I have sourced an action, my smith has hawk hill blanks to choose from. And I even found a TT Diamond in stock I can order. The McMillan stock will be the only thing I’ll have to wait on. I have a Magpul hunter stock on my current gun. Would I be able to drop the barreled action in that if I get a wild hair and want to shoot it before the A5 comes in? It’s not that big a deal, just something I was curious of!

My 10rd Magpul AICS works extremely well.

Well, my TL3 is ordered! Smith is checking inventory on barrels to see what he has on the shelf, now the only problem is what Camo pattern I want on my A5 and Heavy Palma vs M24 contour!

So here’s an update on my build if anyone is interested. I don’t reload yet so tested with some match factory ammo and am shooting just below .5 moa on average. I Used prime and hornady and it seems to like all of them. I’m about 150rds in and the accuracy out of the proof barrel is about what I expected.

View attachment 6930632View attachment 6930633

300yd targets, best 2 groups were with the 147eldm ammo. Both just under an inch
View attachment 6930643View attachment 6930644

Is that a Proof research Prefit barrel or did you have some one chamber it as a prefit?

I have a TL3 on the way to me and was thinking about a proof research prefit barrel. Make it a hybrid match/hunting rifle.

I just took apart my creedmoor to make a 6.5 saum out of it for this hunting season. Your going to love the TL3. I also have a new manners stock and Proof barrel for it.

I have a Defiance action in 6.5 Lapua that has served me well. I started out with savage actions so I like tinkering at home. Also I like to support local buisness and bighorn arms is machined about 30 mins from where I live. I am really excited to get this rifle up and going! Might sell my Defiance in the end. What manners stock are you going with?

Sendero profile 26" shouldered install. I just dropped it off yesterday and it should be ready by monday or tuesday. There is not much weight difference between the sendero light and sendero......and I wanted 2 more inches. I almost worry if I am pissing in the wind by not going light sendero for weight savings.
I ordered a Nuclues, but since I am a lefty, it may not be here in time to get it going for hunting season.

I will say that I love the floating bolthead and firing pin removal for cleaning. I prefer it over my defiance also. Your making a good choice. I try to talk peeps into them since they are like lego's. You do have to get used to the mechanical extractor tho. How hard you run the bolt makes a big difference.

I have the manners T6 mini chassis gen2 carbon fiber in Red/gray like what is on Core's site. After she is put together I will post up a pic.

This is my Creed config.
Manners T6A
TL3 lefty cerekoted black
Bartlien 24" med palma 1:7.5 twist for shooting 147's the barrel likes to run them at 2820, but I just retuned it for 2762 to be easy on brass.
Jewel trigger
Dead Air Ti 30 cal

I have a kahles 624i on it now. I like the skmr3 reticle much more than my NF.

007.jpg

Tuning her at the range.
015.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtking