• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BigJimFish V22 Review and back to barrel twist

FromMyColdDeadHand

40X Mafia
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
CO
We had a thread about barrel twist and Mike/RAVAGE88 hasn't posted for awhile in that thread after talking about some of his experiments with barrel twist. BigJimFIsh's review talks about barrel selection and mentions that a 1:9 twist from Voodoo is available.

-Does this mean that that experiments are over?
-From what I read in the other thread was that the barrel length for Mike's favorite “single digit twist", didn't work as well with the 18 inch barrel as longer (22?) barrels. Is that still true?

So where are we on barrel twist- now that I'm all spun up on a V22 action...

Last edited:
Reactions: Leon A and Asared
I'd be really interested in any reports on the faster twist barrels also. Not that I'll be shooting long range but simply from an nerdy interest in this sort of thing.

A Rim-X retailer is offering a 1:12 twist barrel and states:

The increased twist rate aids in long range stability and helps with group sizes at distances past 200yd. There has been no evidence of lower performance at shorter distances but we have seen improvements of 20% or more in group size past 200yd

Can't find any reports on faster twist barrels but hopefully they'll emerge in time.

I'm really interested too. To me, it always seemed like there was a Gremlin at about 200 yards that started swatting those little bullets around. I'm surprised that no one has chimed in. They say the best way to get people to respond on the internet is to make a statement that is false, then everyone feels like they have to respond. Maybe I should have titled the thread "Faster twist doesn't work for 22lr" to get more responses...

I’m personally considering a brux barrel in a 9 twist for my B14 just for the fun of it.. It will need to wait until next year, however I have been discussing it with an excellent gunsmith who believes he can get the barrels.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I’m personally considering a brux barrel in a 9 twist for my B14 just for the fun of it.. It will need to wait until next year, however I have been discussing it with an excellent gunsmith who believes he can get the barrels.
I’ve been looking around for a Smith to do a little barrel project for my B14

I'm all down with 'wants' and hunches on twists. I just want to know if they work, and if so, why haven't we heard more about it?

Not to speak for anyone in the industry as I don’t have any first hand knowledge specifically but I would imagine most cool projects such as this is on a bit of a hold right now. The firearms industry as a whole is working hard to just keep up with demand of current product. Add to that the lack of either components and / or raw materials due to the current circumstances and bringing a new product to market seems like a recipe for not being able to deliver (& we all know how that goes for companies :rolleyes:).

I too am anxious to test out some even faster twist barrels than I have in the past (I have built a few faster twist rimfires several years ago and found they were excellent), but we all have to be understanding of their current situation.

We had a thread about barrel twist and Mike/RAVAGE88 hasn't posted for awhile in that thread after talking about some of his experiments with barrel twist. BigJimFIsh's review talks about barrel selection and mentions that a 1:9 twist from Voodoo is available.

-Does this mean that that experiments are over?
-From what I read in the other thread was that the barrel length for Mike's favorite “single digit twist", didn't work as well with the 18 inch barrel as longer (22?) barrels. Is that still true?

So where are we on barrel twist- now that I'm all spun up on a V22 action...

Yessir, the testing has concluded (some time back) and there’s an incredibly interesting path forward for faster twist barrels on 22LR. The testing occurred over the course of nearly three years and as usual, there were lots of ups and downs, but we paid attention to everything we were seeing....not just the stuff that looked good.

Since then, we’ve shipped a few fast twist builds and JBell summed up what has held things back a little. We have tons of things happening right now amidst record interest and launching the new single shot, so we’ve not put a lot of focus into the faster twist stuff just yet. What I’m ultimately intrigued by is the combination of fast twist and the latest heavy solids, so I designed some new tooling that our reamer maker is working on right now.

There’s certainly more to this fast twist thing but to answer your question, yes, fast twist works incredibly well as long as one abides by a few rules. I’ve had other action and barrel makers contact me over the last few months asking specific questions because, you know, it’s always best to use someone else’s hard work, so I’m not yet ready to put the data out there. As the tooling is completed and we get a few things together, I’ll be circling back to this with tons more focus.

MB

Yessir, the testing has concluded (some time back) and there’s an incredibly interesting path forward for faster twist barrels on 22LR. The testing occurred over the course of nearly three years and as usual, there were lots of ups and downs, but we paid attention to everything we were seeing....not just the stuff that looked good.

Since then, we’ve shipped a few fast twist builds and JBell summed up what has held things back a little. We have tons of things happening right now amidst record interest and launching the new single shot, so we’ve not put a lot of focus into the faster twist stuff just yet. What I’m ultimately intrigued by is the combination of fast twist and the latest heavy solids, so I designed some new tooling that our reamer maker is working on right now.

There’s certainly more to this fast twist thing but to answer your question, yes, fast twist works incredibly well as long as one abides by a few rules. I’ve had other action and barrel makers contact me over the last few months asking specific questions because, you know, it’s always best to use someone else’s hard work, so I’m not yet ready to put the data out there. As the tooling is completed and we get a few things together, I’ll be circling back to this with tons more focus.

MB

Thanks Mike. I was starting to get concerned reading through some of the old posts and reading between the lines And factoring in the silence.

Let me parse out some realities and some guesses to see if I’m understanding what a path forward might look like.

we all have VUDU’s or conversions or other guns with slow twist barrels that we shoot 22 subs through.
The new solids will come in at a premium to the premium ammo that is out there now.
it sounds like there will be barrels optimized for solids, and for standard subs.
there is a marginal improvement with standard subs with a new twist barrel. But the real advantage is the solids, the new chamber you reference, the faster twist plus your barrel tweaks.
to me the question that is how do standard subs shoot in the new chamber optimized for solids with a fast twist barrel?
If they don’t shoot, then I see myself adding a whole new rifle. For standard stuff under 150 yards my current gun is more than capable, but once you start getting past that aNd definitely past 200 the solids and the new barrel tech will show a markEd improvement.
and of course, when will the new solids be available? 2022?

Is that how things are kind of looking?

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Thanks Mike. I was starting to get concerned reading through some of the old posts and reading between the lines And factoring in the silence.

Let me parse out some realities and some guesses to see if I’m understanding what a path forward might look like.

we all have VUDU’s or conversions or other guns with slow twist barrels that we shoot 22 subs through.
The new solids will come in at a premium to the premium ammo that is out there now.
it sounds like there will be barrels optimized for solids, and for standard subs.
there is a marginal improvement with standard subs with a new twist barrel. But the real advantage is the solids, the new chamber you reference, the faster twist plus your barrel tweaks.
to me the question that is how do standard subs shoot in the new chamber optimized for solids with a fast twist barrel?
If they don’t shoot, then I see myself adding a whole new rifle. For standard stuff under 150 yards my current gun is more than capable, but once you start getting past that aNd definitely past 200 the solids and the new barrel tech will show a markEd improvement.
and of course, when will the new solids be available? 2022?

Is that how things are kind of looking?

Actually, as it appears at the moment, there are a couple of paths as it relates to fast twist barrels and the optimal projectile for each path. The part I’m intrigued by is related directly to what you’re a asking about one faster twist for lead standard velocity and solids. I know right now that I can do a setup with a fast twist and lead SV bullets that’s superior to standard twist and SV bullets. What I want to play with is what’s the possible next step to getting the best of both projectiles out of the same platform.

I hope I explained this in a way it makes sense because at the moment, it’s mostly spaghetti on the wall until I dig through some details.

MB

Reactions: Drew M
Actually, as it appears at the moment, there are a couple of paths as it relates to fast twist barrels and the optimal projectile for each path. The part I’m intrigued by is related directly to what you’re a asking about one faster twist for lead standard velocity and solids. I know right now that I can do a setup with a fast twist and lead SV bullets that’s superior to standard twist and SV bullets. What I want to play with is what’s the possible next step to getting the best of both projectiles out of the same platform.

I hope I explained this in a way it makes sense because at the moment, it’s mostly spaghetti on the wall until I dig through some details.

MB
Possible testing with gain twist barrels to get the best of both solids and SV?

@RAVAGE88 So when do you think you will be able to parse out the barrel length, twist, chamber along with the interactions with bullet options And putting guns together?

thoughts on the availability of the new ammo? Price? I assume over $20/box50?

@RAVAGE88 So when do you think you will be able to parse out the barrel length, twist, chamber along with the interactions with bullet options And putting guns together?

thoughts on the availability of the new ammo? Price? I assume over $20/box50?

I have no forecast for that at the moment; we need to get to the end of this year having accomplished what we set out to do for the year. I'll be spending a good bit of December organizing the road map for 2021 as there are a lot of things on the "to do" list.

MB

Reactions: 1813Benny