• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binocs - Meopta or Maven 15x

SepticDeath

Live Free or Die!
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
Indiana
I am trying to decide on either the Meopta Meostars plus or the Maven B.5 for 15 power binoculars. Both are around $1,500 and that's as high as would like to go. Will be used for spotting at the range out to 1,300 yards and maybe the occasional glassing for game. I know both will be great binoculars but does one have a distinct advantage over the other or am I trying to compare apples to apples? Thanks.

I have the Meopta’s and have been very happy with them. I have no experience with Maven can’t help you there. And yes I’d call Doug @gr8fuldoug he’s great to work with.

Reactions: SepticDeath
Placed an order with Cameraland today for the Meopta's. Put a couple hondo's down on them until they come back in stock. Should be a buy once cry once with these.
Well, it's never buying once around here lol.

First, 15x is a lot for general-purpose binos. Having spent several days on the Meota Meostars 15x next to my Swaro 15x, I'd say the Meostars are very nice, better in some conditions and not in others. You have to be on tripods to even begin to compare.

That said, I like the viewing experience better on almost all new-gen optics like the ZCO scope Swaro NL Pures, Mavin B.2 and probably will like the new offering like the Meopro Airs. The optics released in the last couple of years just seems to bring the images closer to our eye and deliver a more immersive experience. It's something a res chart can not divulge.

That said as an eyeglass user, comfort often trumps pure resolution, well in my case it always does as long as both are close and bright. That said, I sold my 15x Swaros (I still have some Swaros) but really only use my Mavins B.2 11x, they are just so comfortable to sit behind for hours.

The B.5 you were looking at, is that new-gen design delivering the viewing experience your seeing manufacturers like Swaro and Meotpa moving towards feeling wider edge to edge (it's an illusion in a way), easier to look through than the other two 15x discussed with about 3mm more eye relief, and claims to have better light transmission. Although I didn't have the B.5s I tested next to my Swaros at the time.

Around here Mavin is too new so you will not see the groups of guys using them like you will with the years and years of Swaro SLCs and Meostars already in the shooter stream.

My Mavin B.2 are on my chest rig on every hunt from archery to late season, pig or Elk and what I use at matches. Swaros are gathering dust. That said, if someone gave me NL-Pure 12x I'd be a happy camper as well.

Also Cabela's branded items now only carry a 60 day return policy, and a 1 year warranty.

Meopta Mesostars.....lifetime transferable warranty.

Bass Pro shops has pretty much killed anything good that used to be Cabela's.

Ordered the Meopta Meapro Air 8x42 today to replace my Vortex Talon 10x42. These were in stock and I should have them next week. These will be mainly used for glassing for white tails and coyotes. Still getting the 15x Meostars just waiting for Cameraland to get some more in. Thx for everybody's help. Did some research and I believe I will be happy with both pairs of these.

Reactions: LR1845
Looked through the Meostar 15x56 yesterday spotting shots. While I have nothing nice to compare them to, the picture was great as far as the eye could see.

Why not the Steiner 15x nocs for $999-$1100. Can't possibly be $500 less good...

Reactions: MarkCO
Why not the Steiner 15x nocs for $999-$1100. Can't possibly be $500 less good...
Your probably right. I highly doubt also that the Swaro NL Pure 12x are twice as good with their $3,000 price tag. Most anyone who knows anything about optics realizes there is diminishing returns on high dollar glass. It's worth it to me though. Took my 8x Meopta's out this evening and it is like looking through 3D glasses. Image was super clean. I spent 5 minutes probably looking at a dragonfly and I could see every small detail and color on it. I was very impressed and immersed in the viewing experience.

Last edited:
Your probably right. I highly doubt also that the Swaro NL Pure 12x are twice as good with their $3,000 price tag. Most anyone who knows anything about optics realizes there is diminishing returns on high dollar glass. It's worth it to me though. Took my 8x Meopta's out this evening and it is like looking through 3D glasses. Image was super clean. I spent 5 minutes probably looking at a dragonfly and I could see every small detail and color on it. I was very impressed and immersed in the viewing experience.
You are correct. But at low power, it is almost impossible to tell the difference in top-end optics. At 15x, it is a lot easier.

I've been fortunate enough to compare apples to apples with many high-end optics. While I can tell you, the Cabellas are not the same as Meostars, or that SLC is slightly better than Meostars; that I like the Mavens viewing experience for my use, I can't nor can ANYBODY can tell you if an extra $1500 or 3K is worth it for you.

Is my ZCO or your TT worth the difference in price than his/her Tasco??? No way we can easily quantify "his/her" value system.

Last edited:
Reactions: LR1845
@Diver160651
Can you confirm the Maven B.5 15x56mm work with eyeglasses without lens touching?
Website says 17.8mm eye relief, but I can't find user experience on the B.5 15x.

@Diver160651
Can you confirm the Maven B.5 15x56mm work with eyeglasses without lens touching?
Website says 17.8mm eye relief, but I can't find user experience on the B.5 15x.
Maybe not helpful, but with the Maven B5 18x my glasses never touched the eyepiece glass. I have a quite high rx, -10 to -11.

Reactions: StrayDog