• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Binocular questions..

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So right now in my kit I have a set of Minox 8x43s that I really like a Razor 4000 range finder, and am running a AB Link Kestrel 5700. I also have a Mark 4 spotter with H36 retinal I don't typically pack around.

And now that I have finally got out and shot my first PRS match, and looking at doing more PRS matches and some NRL Hunter matches. I have thought of getting a set of higher power binos or possibly simplifying my kit and getting a set of rangefinding binos.

What are you-alls opinion on the subject, I have been reading and trying to decided between just buying a set of higher power binos or slightly more powerful rangefining binos that connect to my Kestrel.

Spend the coin on some good range finding binos. I've went the spotter route. And while it worked great when tech wasn't as good as it is now. You have better options now. Most competitions I've been to you see binos with built in RF. I do see spotting scopes and binos separate. But I think if your starting fresh buy a good set of used RF/binos off the px and call it good.

Love my Leica RF binos. Would hate to have to manage two devices in the future, it’s just too easy.
I just walked over to Sportsmans Warehouse while or flight is delayed and looked through the Furry 5000HD AB, Leica and Swaros... I think the Leica were my favorite. The Furry, were awful nice for the deduction in price though, even better when you get a Mil/Le deal in them.

I think I may try to scrape the cash together for the Leica though, or Swaros if I wait a bit longer.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have a set of Sig 10K ABS binos on order. The theory is that they provide 3 pieces of equipment in one; binos, LRF, and ballistic app with environmental sensors. They are not on shelves yet so the jury is out.

I have a set of Sig 10K ABS binos on order. The theory is that they provide 3 pieces of equipment in one; binos, LRF, and ballistic app with environmental sensors. They are not on shelves yet so the jury is out.

I was just our a Sig Sauer Academy for the last 2 weeks and they didn't have a example of them there yet either.

IMHO am all for LRF binos, but... Binos suck at environmentals because they travel in a case...and often close to the body.

Its not like a kestrel you twirl around to acclimatize :ROFLMAO:

Counter-argument is you can work around it, but its worth knowing the limits

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I was still intending to use my Kestrel for the environmental data, just use the Binos for connectivity to the kestrel and as binos. Replace 2 device with 1.

Reactions: ma smith
Agreed that temp is always off with the binos, and it can’t compensate for RH. Inside say 4-500 yards, though, it makes almost no difference at all, so it’s useful at least out to those ranges. It’s also really useful for quick shots on steep angles, where the environmentals have far less impact on dope than the shooting angle.

That’s actually the scenario that most recently came up for me; was hunting hillsides and was surprised at how much a 30° slope reduced the dialing (like, by half). Would be nice to have that quickly thrown up in the binos instead of having to pull out the app.

Love my Leica RF binos. Would hate to have to manage two devices in the future, it’s just too easy.
I agree. Two devices is too much. One day it will all be in the scope or maybe Alexa, “Alexa find target and set turrets.”
Until then, would you rathe have Binos or spotting scope? Are you mounting binoculars on tripod?