• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binoculars tripod plate mount

southerngolfer

HACHIE CHACHIE DUNKIRINI
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
SWMO
Can you tell me your experience on tripod plate mounts. I’ve been using the tripod stud mount for my binos and I’ve always thought it was my tripod making the binos shake. After this weekend and talking to a few people in our group, it looks like my stud mount was the shaking issue with the high winds.

Can you show me either factory options you would recommend or homemade alternatives for the tripod plate mount for binos

thank you

Rrs just came out with their bino setup. Looks slick.

The RRS setup looks promising. When I've been dealing with a shaky platform (due to wind or vibration) I've had the best results from throwing my GameChanger on top of my tripod head and putting the binos on the GC.

The RRS setup looks promising. When I've been dealing with a shaky platform (due to wind or vibration) I've had the best results from throwing my GameChanger on top of my tripod head and putting the binos on the GC.
I see some dudes do that but what I dislike about that is, I would have to pack up my binos every time we move stages. I would like a tripod mount option so just one less thing to mess around with.

I see some dudes do that but what I dislike about that is, I would have to pack up my binos every time we move stages. I would like a tripod mount option so just one less thing to mess around with.

Yeah, for matches where you're moving around a lot, a fixed mount is the way to go. I use the GC when I am pulling RO duties since I am parked in one place all day.

I’ve used them all and the most vibration free is
an abel table with a solid ball head.

this is my setup and used at the top of the hill during the NF ELR where we had 60mph winds
A458E33D-472C-4B4B-BE60-A5C9843AB0B1.jpeg

the wind speed right before I shot
7CAFFC1F-D752-47E3-B643-6E1BD621E682.jpeg

the RRS cinch is great for quick on off in a hunting scenario but for allday spotting I like the binos being centered on the ballhead

Reactions: southerngolfer
I’ve used them all and the most vibration free is
an abel table with a solid ball head.

this is my setup and used at the top of the hill during the NF ELR where we had 60mph windsView attachment 7362512
the wind speed right before I shot
View attachment 7362514

the RRS cinch is great for quick on off in a hunting scenario but for allday spotting I like the binos being centered on the ballhead
this is what I'm using, tripod with ballhead. I see the table youre using, but how are you mounting those binos' to that table?

Last edited:
perfect. that's ideas I'm looking for. thank you. what Leupold binos is that?
Leupold bx-5 15x56
5EF7250D-C4B7-4E28-9054-C1FDC59BC774.jpeg

Very nice!! WTG on the setup. What's the RRS Arca on the left for?

Best,

JAS

few things, sometimes I’ll mount my spotter 45 if I need more magnification and a reticle for calling corrections. The other thing I’m making right now is a 3d printed mount to hold my shot timer so I can see it out of the corner of my eye while ROing
D85284DB-13E2-42FA-94AC-AF874E354DF7.jpeg

Leupold bx-5 15x56

few things, sometimes I’ll mount my spotter 45 if I need more magnification and a reticle for calling corrections. The other thing I’m making right now is a 3d printed mount to hold my shot timer so I can see it out of the corner of my eye while ROing
View attachment 7362661

Great setup! Back in the day there were no manufactured binoc tables, so I had to make my own. I was using some really heavy binoculars and nothing you could buy would hold them steady. I used a 1/2 plank of teak (I had that on hand) with slots on the sides for buckled straps. I connected to my carbon fiber large tripod by using two screw in 1/4"- 20 female taps on the wood to install this:

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mpr-1

I have tons of RRS stuff. Best quality in the world when it comes to that kind of stuff and yes, you get what you pay for.

I made the table for the binocs below. Fujinon 16x70 5-6 pound binocs nothing else would work. And by the way spectacular optics, can see galaxies with those! Not for our sport though. just too heavy. Here's the pic next to my goto Nikon Monarch 10x36 binocs. Long story on those but they are mainly used for astronomical stuff on the fly.

i-5ScMs59-XL.jpg

Reactions: 338LMAI
Great setup! Back in the day there were no manufactured binoc tables, so I had to make my own. I was using some really heavy binoculars and nothing you could buy would hold them steady. I used a 1/2 plank of teak (I had that on hand) with slots on the sides for buckled straps. I connected to my carbon fiber large tripod by using two screw in 1/4"- 20 female taps on the wood to install this:

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mpr-1

I have tons of RRS stuff. Best quality in the world when it comes to that kind of stuff and yes, you get what you pay for.

I made the table for the binocs below. Fujinon 16x70 5-6 pound binocs nothing else would work. And by the way spectacular optics, can see galaxies with those! Not for our sport though. just too heavy. Here's the pic next to my goto Nikon Monarch 10x36 binocs. Long story on those but they are mainly used for astronomical stuff on the fly.

i-5ScMs59-XL.jpg
wow, those binos look like a woman with Double D's standing next to a woman with B cups!

• Haha
Reactions: JAS-SH
Leupold bx-5 15x56
View attachment 7362660

View attachment 7362661
thank you for chiming in and giving me some ideas @hic28 . that's gives me a start of what I'm looking for

I realize you started with a stud style mount and are looking for greater stability, but I have found this mount to be quite stable:

Another option in the table/platform style would be:

Reactions: southerngolfer
I'm a big fan of the RRS Cinch. I keep mine on my Kilo 3000s permanently. Still fits in my bino harness but quickly and easily attaches to my Anvil-30 or to my home-brew co-aligned adapter on top of my spotter.

I'm a big fan of the RRS Cinch. I keep mine on my Kilo 3000s permanently. Still fits in my bino harness but quickly and easily attaches to my Anvil-30 or to my home-brew co-aligned adapter on top of my spotter.
Any chance you have a pic of your Sig3000BDXs with the cinch mounted?

I’d recommend the Outdoorsman Bino adapter. Has a stud that screws in the front of your binos and allows you quick release function.

Reactions: bunsen27
I’d recommend the Outdoorsman Bino adapter. Has a stud that screws in the front of your binos and allows you quick release function.
How solid/steady of a mount is the Outdoorsman? I'm seriously looking at going to one for my Sig3000BDX LRF binos. I'm currently using a BOG bino cradle on a ballhead works fine but trying to cut weight and bulk in my pack. I wish that I had initially gone with the Precision Rifle Solutions Universal Optics Tripod Mounting Plate but forgot all about them. That plate looks small enough that it would fit in the 5.11 pouch that I carry my Sigs in without having to remove it.

How solid/steady of a mount is the Outdoorsman? I'm seriously looking at going to one for my Sig3000BDX LRF binos. I'm currently using a BOG bino cradle on a ballhead works fine but trying to cut weight and bulk in my pack. I wish that I had initially gone with the Precision Rifle Solutions Universal Optics Tripod Mounting Plate but forgot all about them. That plate looks small enough that it would fit in the 5.11 pouch that I carry my Sigs in without having to remove it.

It's not going to be a solid as bino's strapped to a plate. The bino stud is round, as is the post hole it goes into, thus it will be able to rotate a little even with the tension knob tightened down (knurled top piece). That being said I've found it to be extremely stable in normal conditions, but have not tested it in higher winds.
1595260344298.png

Attachments

• 1595260342222.png
    1595260342222.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
It’s very stable. I have the adapter screwed to a ARCA plate that I use with my ball head. The main reason I went with this was weight savings. I too had the bog pod and made a homemade bino cradle but after carrying it around all day at a match I had enough. Went with a Leofoto tripod and ball head, and with the bino adapter and binos I cut my weight by more than half. I’m running the Viper 12x50 HD binos. I’m very happy with the setup plus it’s a quick disconnect. I’d suggest getting one and trying it and if you don’t like it send it back.

Reactions: Boxerglocker