• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binos or Spotting Scope on tripod - PRS shooting.

CageFighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
North NJ
new to the scene, looking to get more into LR shooting and eventually PRS series. Are most of you using binos or a spotting scope as optics on a tripod? why do you prefer one over the other? also, is 10X enuff on binos?

new to the scene, looking to get more into LR shooting and eventually PRS series. Are most of you using binos or a spotting scope as optics on a tripod? why do you prefer one over the other? also, is 10X enuff on binos?

depending on quality 10x is plenty to spot targets and usually enough to spot misses. If i were to bring 1 thing to a match I would chose my 10x42 leica binos over my Swaro spotter. Spotter is great but the binos are faster, better field of view, and unless you are 1000+ you can usually spot misses as well with them.

I could be talked into 12x50 or maybe 15x50 but again I would want quality glass first over magnification.

ummm swaro...maybe Vortex (as much as it pains me to say that), higher end Leupold. I honestly haven't looked through many of the 12 or 15x binos so it is hard for me to say. But I would rather put the bulk of my money if I only have $500 or $1000 lets say to something more on the 10x side than I would to try to stretch to 15x at that price range, but that is just me.

Why not both?

I’ve been going through the same exercise trying to find binoculars for general use / longer range viewing. Ended up narrowing my choices down to the Swarovski El 10x50 or 12x50, with the 12 currently being my #1 choice.

Here’s a link to a great review (2nd page) I’d found on the Swaro’s. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-swarovski-el-10x50-12x50-and-15x56-hd.121537/page-2

Reactions: CageFighter

Swaro 15x56 SLC HD binos on a solid tripod are the gold standard for PRS, you see tons of them out there at matches. Not cheap, but they are amazing. I have a really nice spotting scope that I rarely use, but the 15's come with me to every match.

There are good binos for less money too, lots of choices.

Swaro 15x56 SLC HD binos on a solid tripod are the gold standard for PRS, you see tons of them out there at matches. Not cheap, but they are amazing. I have a really nice spotting scope that I rarely use, but the 15's come with me to every match.

no $$$ for the Swaros, so need to look for alternatives. budget $1-1.5K

10x42s are enough for me, for now. I sunk a ton of money into my tripod, so running some Meopta Meopro HDs from Cameraland, and I'm impressed. Not Swaro bright, but good enough to see hits/misses out to 1k+. Some SLCs would be sick tho..

20190615_105001.jpg

Switched from. Spotting scope to 10x binos this spring and I haven’t found a situation where I regretted it.

Act

Actually, the gold standard is a Swaro 15x56 SLC HD rangefinder bino with a mil reticle. ???

I’ve looked through the swaros the vortex and the meopta meostar HD side by side...all 15x...i bought the meoptas...call Doug at camera land he will get you taken care of and in your budget.
We just got in some As New demos at a super deal on Meopta Meostar 15x56's. Give a call to discuss yours

Reactions: Sheldon N
Some demo Meostars would be pretty sweet indeed, Doug can hook you up with a good deal I'm sure.

Get yourself a tall Outdoorsmans tripod mount too, they are well worth it.

Reactions: Patty
Binos, by far. I've been running the Bushnell Forge 15x56s for a while now, and I wouldn't trade them for any other options on glass, honestly. I've been able to spot 6 Dasher at 1200 yards with them consistently, and everyone that has gotten behind them has walked away saying how impressed they were. Even better, they're a third the price of the Swaros, and (to my eyes) give up nothing on clarity, especially for PRS use. Street price on the 15s is around $800, or you can get the 10x42s for just under $500. I have a set of the 10s as well, and clarity is just as good in match conditions as the 15s, just in a smaller package. I continue to use the 15s, though, due to the higher magnficiation.

Meopta Meostar 15x56 Binos are very close to swaros and can be had from dealers for $1279ish

A more budget friendly option is Bushnell 15x Forge binos, i spent some time with them and they are better than their price point.

Vortex is also about to release 18x Razor binos - not sure on price but MSRP is 2449

I'll also add that if you're just starting out in PRS matches, don't be in a huge hurry to invest in binos unless you have one or more friends you're training with on a regular basis. When you go to a match (especially 2-day matches) you're going to see a practical forest of tripods with various mounted optics on them. Ask to use other people's binos or spotters, see which ones you like, make comparisons, then buy only when you honestly feel like you have to have your own set.

Spent some time with 15x over the weekend at Southington. I personally went with the Forges after looking through anything and everything I could get my hands on, but the following are my top 3 recommendations based on budget.

Gold Stanard: SLC 15x56
Budget Friendly: Forge 15x56
Dark horse: Zulu9 15x56

Spent some time with 15x over the weekend at Southington. I personally went with the Forges after looking through anything and everything I could get my hands on, but the following are my top 3 recommendations based on budget.

Gold Stanard: SLC 15x56
Budget Friendly: Forge 15x56
Dark horse: Zulu9 15x56
I have the SLC 15x56, but man the Meopta Meostar 15x56 Binos are flipping nice, I looked through 47guy and I was amazed. Think they need to be on this list

Binos are easier on the eyes from my experience. I can spot/ro alot longer without eye fatigue with binos than I can with a spotting scope

Reactions: Rondogg
Binos are easier on the eyes from my experience. I can spot/ro alot longer without eye fatigue with binos than I can with a spotting scope

Absolutely. 6+ hours behind a spotter gives me a nasty migraine. Doing the same thing with a good (and good is important) pair of binos and I have no eye strain or headache at all. I used to make a beeline for the Swaros when they handed out glass at matches I was ROing, but now I just stick with my Bushys.

I used my 10x swaro SLC this last weekend. Was fine to spot hits and misses too. I borrowed my friends bog pod bino mount on top of my tripod, that was a really nice set up for budget minded folks.
I bought those SLC binos used for 700 bucks....

tripod set-up is def the route i am going. search for a tripod is next on the list, leabing toward the two vets 40 mike mike. any others? no $$$ for the RRS.

What is the consensus of 7x binos? Doug at cameraland is running a closeout on Steiner M750r (7x50 with reticle). Will that just leave one wanting more magnification at PRS matches?

10x42 binos are enough for a lot of glassing, but when you start getting out there a good distance, you need more power to distinguish a bedded deer that's in shadow. Trying to use a spotter for glassing can give you a raging headache in just a few minutes. That's not what they're for. They are needed to evaluate headgear at long range. Some guys... like me... carry all 3 when prairie hunting. Mountains.... no.

Last edited:
I have been using the Vortex ReconRT 15x50. It is a monocular with a mil based reticle. It has been handy to measure out targets before getting on the rifle. I would highly suggest looking into it.

I’ve been going through the same exercise trying to find binoculars for general use / longer range viewing. Ended up narrowing my choices down to the Swarovski El 10x50 or 12x50, with the 12 currently being my #1 choice.

Here’s a link to a great review (2nd page) I’d found on the Swaro’s. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-swarovski-el-10x50-12x50-and-15x56-hd.121537/page-2
For general use, 10x is the best. I have a pair of 12x and they are just too much for glassing while hunting. FOV sucks for that. Should have got the 10s. L

Binos dude and even better RF Binos. Flea Bay has countless Swaro SLC’s for well under your budget of 2k, and you can find the Zeiss Victory Gen 1 10x45 Range Finding Binos NIB for $1750 with a very easy google search. My dad has the Gen 1 10x45’s and I have the Gen 2 10x42’s. You will NOT be disappointed with either the glass or the RF.

Last edited:
wyoming is high on my list of places to move to. really, there are only 3 places i was considering...new mexico, wyonmng, and idaho. talked to two gents from new mexico, and after talking to them, that has kinda been scratched off the list.

And to the OP, swaros can be had below your budget. Easily. And to my mind, if you are going to spend that much, why not get them? I picked up a pair not too long ago for under that.