• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod Options

I’m far from an expert, but decided on the Magpul for my bipod. The prices seemed reasonable, and my other Magpul products have been rock solid.
I like the magpul more than the Harris.
It’s a decent AR option but I found it lacking on my bolt guns.

@whiskeytower ... What Does a Harris Bipod go for these days? $75ish?

Atlas is like $225 ish? Depending on options.

So a couple of extra bucks ($250-$275 ish) isn't out of the question, but I'm with you on the $800 bipods.

Exactly this^^^^^^. This is exactly what I was trying to articulate. Thanks

I went with the TBAC bipod. Feet have never rolled on me. It is very quick to deploy and extremely solid. I am going to get a CAL-Atlas for another rifle next just to have options. I have accumulated four Harris bipods over the past 15 years and they work, but man the TBAC one is so much more versatile!

It's just surprising to see so many tripods.

I guess it makes sense when they are 3# and can hold a 30# rifle locked in almost any position.

LOL, a 11 ounce bipod can"hold" the same 30# rifle... again, it comes down to application.

So, let me ask you a question;

What is your application that requires a bipod?

the thunderbeast looked interesting until he got to the part where the feet roll...that was one of the things that i did not like about the first atlas i owned.

The Atlas V8 models, (BT10's) ALL have feet that roll, this was changed to non-rotating when SOCOM requested this change along with 6 other modifications that resulted in the Atlas PSR models (BT46's and BT47's. the BT46-LW17 was selected for the SOCOM Precision Sniper Rifle "PSR" program thus the PSR moniker.) We kept the V8 alive as the majority of shooters did not have an issue with this...

.........It has five positively locked positions, two for stowage fore or aft; and three more for deployment, vertical and 45 degrees fore or aft........

Greg

Hi Greg,

Just as an FYI, I don't believe this to be the case with current production.

LOL, a 11 ounce bipod can"hold" the same 30# rifle... again, it comes down to application.

So, let me ask you a question;

What is your application that requires a bipod?

What I meant by the #3 tripod is that it's relatively light for the height and convenience I'm seeing.

I just am not a Tripod guy....?

Bipod. is just some Range shooting, prone, bench stuff. Out to 1000 max (most i can get access to) and then the occasional hunt for Hogs or Coyotes or whatever else.

I just want a bit more stability than the standard 6-9 Harris. Also, would prefer locking at 90. but i want it to quick deploy to 90, and then button back.

Leg adjustments on the Harris are quick. I just hold the rifle level and hit the button and they pop out and I lock em in the slot as close as i can to level.

I'd like quick leg adjustments, and stuff that I can extract/retract one handed.

I'm not "SOCOM" so the leg rolling doesn't really bother me?

"What I meant by the #3 tripod is that it's relatively light for the height and convenience I'm seeing." Understood, but keep it on the roster as for pigs and coyotes, it might be your best call and like bipods, pricing is all over the MAP.

"Leg adjustments on the Harris are quick. I just hold the rifle level and hit the button and they pop out and I lock em in the slot as close as i can to level.

I'd like quick leg adjustments, and stuff that I can extract/retract one handed."

Harris always wins leg deployment race. Keep in mind most all "pop-out" quick leg extending systems require two hands to retract back to lowest setting or awkwardly using ground to do so which is also using two hands. Atlas uses "Hold what you move" technology so leg movement and extension/retraction is done by holding what you are moving... i.e. intentional.

I'm not "SOCOM" so the leg rolling doesn't really bother me? Understood.

So based on everything I read here, your needs are addressed with an Harris (except legs locking). Maybe not the best at 1K, but it'll work and there's plenty of people doing it. Just MHO.

This thread is cringe.

But to summarise, Harris are the lowest common denominator and don’t belong on a precision rifle.
The tolerances and manufacturing are not precise, they’re not square, they introduce issues into your system which mostly revolve around angles, recoil management, consistency etc.

If you don’t get it, which you don’t seem to, read any of the million threads made before this one on the topic and brush up on the fundamentals. A new bipod thread pops up every week.

Dude.

You got personal quick.

Maybe step back and not take a thread about "what bipods exist?" To mean "whats the best bipod?"

I will make my own opinion about what's best for me.

Your choice of bipod isn't "right" or the Only choice. So chill out.

Thanks.

There are several new high end bipods on the market. The Tactical NoNo from www.talonadvanced.com is a very rigid option that will handel heavy recoil. They are made in Modena Italy.
20200420_151626.jpg
20200420_151611.jpg

My personal experiences for what they are worth:
I’ve been running a Harris 6-9 BRMS with Pod lock on a QD pic mount for the last couple of years but I have always had the itch to get an atlas, specifically the CAL as I didn’t think Pan was ‘for me’.

I duly ordered one on Tuesday and my Gen 2 Cal arrived from Sporting Services (in UK) yesterday. Initial impressions are positive, it seems much more robust and stable under my AI AT than the Harris. I can see the ‘press to move‘ button / feature on the atlas taking some practice (to retrain the brain) but of course this feature stops any unintentional deployment or retraction.

When the COVID Situation settles down I am looking to getting some rounds through the rifle and testing this sturdy and well designed bit of kit.

Reactions: SN13
Seems that there is a new bipod coming out from Spartan Precision Equipment with some unique features...

Valhalla Bipod

V2SigRange_2048x.jpg

V2Sentinel_2048x.jpg

When I first clicked on the link I had to check the name of the company. Thought a fellow hider was holding out on showing us something sweet.
SpartanLong_8e096e5b-bb33-46b4-aeaf-03330aec6e9b_280x@2x.png

VS @THEIS company Hoplite Arms. Btw I like your logo better.
cropped-HLA-logo-003.png

Comparing the Warne Skyline to the Atlas, the only downsides I‘m seeing with the Warne are:

1) Reduced height adjustment range ~3” vs ~4”

2) The Atlas can be attached directly to, for example, the KRG Spigot or can have a pic/arca clamp attached, whereas you’re married to either pic or arca only with the Warne

Otherwise I’m seeing the Warne as the better option between these two — am I missing something?

Assuming you want both pan and cant btw.

Reactions: whiskeytower
Comparing the Warne Skyline to the Atlas, the only downsides I‘m seeing with the Warne are:

2) The Atlas can be attached directly to, for example, the KRG Spigot or can have a pic/arca clamp attached, whereas you’re married to either pic or arca only with the Warne

Otherwise I’m seeing the Warne as the better option between these two — am I missing something?

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your points, but I'm hoping to keep this thread about "What Bipods Exist" and not so much about what anyone thinks is better.

But obviously the Warne and Atlas offer different options, we as individuals have to look at those options and choose what suits our own style best.

😊👍

If you don't mind, please explain why this makes the Warne a better option?

If you don't mind, please explain why this makes the Warne a better option?

Mindful of the “not a comparison” intention of the thread so I’ll keep it short: faster deployment (straight to 90), fast one handed height adjustments, 7 degrees more cant and 29 degrees more pan, plus a little more weight and heft. General consensus from those who have tried it and the Atlas PRS (all of like two sources, ha) is that it’s not worth trading in your Atlas for...but if you don’t already have one and are in the market for an Atlas-like bipod (i.e., me) it might be the better option for you.

Short YouTube Review

I think by now that the info on bipods in LL's new book are beginning to circulate among those of us who aren't deeply immersed in the competition circuit

I agree that the Harris, while a long trusted legacy, is approaching obsolescence. I have used the Harris for decades, both tilt lock and non-tilt versions; and I much prefer the non-tilt because it's not going to unlock on me. Unfortunately the mounting itself tends to loosen up way too easily; and getting it properly realigned with the stock axis can be troublesome. That's something I have experienced repeatedly, occasionally during an already stressful situation.

I value economy , and also USA sourcing; with UTG Leapers currently offering what I consider a useful Recon-Flex Bipod line that incorporates M-Lok mounting, and an utterly rigid support, adjustable for tilt on a gross scale via notched legs.

Currently below $50, it's not an expensive experiment.

It has five positively locked positions, two for stowage fore or aft; and three more for deployment, vertical and 45 degrees fore or aft. It's rigid in all positions. When stowed, the bottom of handguard is unencumbered; allowing rest, bag, or ruck support. The stowed position allows the forend to provide a far broader and more steady hand grip.

I have the long and the short version and am setting up to get out and test them once the local quarantines are lifted (actually, I tested one already on my PA-10 308, but only ten rounds to verify function with IMI 168 Razor Point. The bipod demonstrated no flex at all, which I suspect could simplify or completely eliminate bipod preload).

I have already encountered one Con, the folded bipod leg may interfere with pop-up ABUIS mounting and stowage. I may need to reposition the ABUIS or the bipod mounting, or both. Testing will tell. (ETA - Reworked the mounting, and the problem was easily resolved).

When shooting from the bench, there is no tilt issue as long as the bench is level and the scope is set up with the reticle level. You open the bipod, emplace the rifle; and you're GTG.

Greg
Non tilt Harris? Do you ever leave the bench/range?

Mindful of the “not a comparison” intention of the thread so I’ll keep it short: faster deployment (straight to 90), fast one handed height adjustments, 7 degrees more cant and 29 degrees more pan, plus a little more weight and heft. General consensus from those who have tried it and the Atlas PRS (all of like two sources, ha) is that it’s not worth trading in your Atlas for...but if you don’t already have one and are in the market for an Atlas-like bipod (i.e., me) it might be the better option for you.

Short YouTube Review
Thank you for your reply, I'm a bit slow but now I understand.