• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod or bags?

Tomspanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2013
Well...I know which one looks better in the mirror when I'm posing in my red bandana and plate carrier.....

But which one should I use for load development and to learn prone shooting?

Probably several answers; I'll begin with a popular one. You should develop the load under the type(s) of condition(s) where it will most likely be used; i.e. weather, shooting position, firing cadence, etc. Simply, why do it any different from that?

Another: I'd use the bench/bag, since it eliminates some of the additional elements , i.e. bipod preloading, etc., that can complicate the load development process.

Overall, whatever suppport you use, take care to eliminate as many added complexities as you can from the process. Make the load the key, and if possible only, variable.

Greg

i personally like bipods with a squeeze bag in the rear. the badger bone squeeze bag goes everywhere with me

I am no expert at load dev but in the few times I've done it I've had my better results when Set it in bags front and rear. it seems to isolate it better and take more of "me" out of the equation. Although I still shoot it prone, it is in bags as if it was on a bench.

Personal preference...
I shoot under the same conditions that I would be using the load for. That's typically with a bipod and rear bag on either a bench or shooting mat.

Well...I know which one looks better in the mirror when I'm posing in my red bandana and plate carrier.....

But which one should I use for load development and to learn prone shooting?

To learn how to build the stability of the ground into the position you might want to first practice prone from bone alone.

For what its worth, we were ALWAYS taught to make use of a a rigid structure such as sandbags that provided a lower and more stabile profile, which provided a tighter group. However, if ever a bipod was to be used, it must ONLY be used on ground with no skid surfaces, such as concrete or panel work which are found in ranges.
When used these false surfaces, provide a scattered grouping and many experienced sniper trained operators, blame a heavy night or "Bleary eye" syndrome.
So in short sand bags of any type whether they are filled by you or bought as a rifle accessory are great in the right environment.
My adage for what its worth is, use what God created for the weapon on the right surface the bipod........on the ground with the feet blades seated correctly.
Good Luck

load developement : see benchrest shooters (bags)
prone position : see above (Sterling Shooter's reply)

Last edited: