• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bipod recommendations

Aggrofish

Wut
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2013
So I’m in the market for a bipod on a new build. I’ve really only used various Harris bipods before. I’m usually shooting prone out in the desert or off a bench at the range. I may want to try out a local PRS match eventually.

accutac - heavy?
Cyke pod?
Atlas PRS?

I’ve read through previous posts and seem to get the impression that that atlas is good for bench / prone / load development. Does this mean that the Cyke pod isn’t? If going for the Cyke pod is the standard pull more well rounded than the PRS shorter pull? It seems they both get lower than the Harris at 4.5-5.0” so that’s good, 90 degree seems higher though.

so far I have a terminus action, acc elite chassis, a Diamond single stage, and I’m reusing my hd gen II 4.5-27. I have a 26” bartlein (heavy Palma) in 6.5CM on order through bugholes.

shits gonna be heavy. Looking for something strong, sturdy, and good for pretty much everything. What’s your recco?

accutac - heavy?
Cyke pod?
Atlas PRS?

I've got an Accutac 50, the Atlas Cal, and the Super Cal. Every bipod has its good and bad points. I have not used the Cyke. I also have the Elite Iron (hate it) and the Phoenix (love it except it needs a suitcase to carry it around).

The Accutac is solid and has the smallest space between the leg settings of any bipod I've used. What I don't like about it is that it can be difficult to adjust with one hand. When retracting, it can "bite" you if you're not careful. I've had it grab the fatty part of my middle finger right below the first knuckle.

The two Atlas bipods are also very solid. I find them easy to adjust with one hand. The negative is that the space between settings is pretty large - easy for them to have different legs to deal with this - don't know why they haven't.

If I could only have one bipod, it would be the SuperCal. The width of the feet is very nice, yet it's not so wide to be unwieldy. I use the ski feet with it and like it all the way around.

As to the Atlas PSR, my understanding is that it's a panning bipod. Why do you want one that pans?

Reactions: Aggrofish
I own Accutac, Atlas, and Harris. I don't have much of a problem with any of them, but if I were shooting from a fixed position for precision and didn't have to worry about weight or one-handed use... I'd choose my Accutac every time.

Not sure I want one that pans. Looking at the atlas bipods side by side it looks like the psr is narrower and beefier than the Cal. The accutac sounds great for the positions I generally shoot in, but I guess this whole exercise is to make shooting more challenging/ interesting again and do more positional stuff. Appreciate the input

Thunderbeast bipod is awesome I had an atlas psr and hated how it moved and how to get to 90 I had to push the button a lot lol…. Not a big deal but the thunderbeast is just so easy and changing the feet out because I shoot in dirt and rock is super easy and it’s wide so super stable

I’m no competitor, and only shoot off a bench or a tripod.

I’ve used a Harris, CAL, SCAL, LRA LiteTactical F-Class, and an Elite Iron panning model.

If all I ever used a bipod for is the bench (or prone, I suppose) and didn’t care about its idiosyncrasies (long, slow to deploy, prone to catching on things, hard to use one on different type rifles), the EI is hands down the most confidence inspiring with the most natural NPA. Heard it’s not good (clumsy) for PRS.

Will go into a soft case when attached to a rifle. Most like the non-panner…the panner requires what I call the “tactical pool noodle” stuck over the barrel in this situation, as the legs have no pan lock-off (yet) and will flay the barrel/suppressor without it.

They might have a pan lock off either in the works or out now.

Bought the panner as Dale, the owner, said that’s the one to get for colony varmint shooting (my specialty). Just bought their Sako TRG/KRG quick connect interface for my KRG W3 so I don’t have to use the slow two-allen screw pic rail attachment that it came with.

They have many ways to attach the thing to the rifle.

The LRA is second on the NPA front, and it’s usable on anything with a pic rail or Arca (depending which one you buy). Will not fit in most soft cases when attached. Carbon fiber legs feel nice in the cold. Good leg design (see below).

Third is the CAL, which fits in soft cases when attached. Simple, solid, and like the LRA, the legs are built so dirt doesn’t jam the legs. I use a third-party carbon fiber drag washer in it to make the lock-off more lock-y. Not a great NPA.

The SCAL doesn’t do anything better than the LRA. Absolutely will not fit soft cases when attached. Wide boi.

The Harris is light, durable, ok-working, narrow, and simple.

Last edited:
Used a Harris for many years and it worked in matches. Tried an Atlas but not a fan of the ergonomics. I bought a Ckyepod PRS and find it works great for matches and yes it's fine for bench/load development also. It's all I use now in matches. My rifles are similar in size and weight as yours will be and there are no issues.

As to height that would be up to your needs. I find the PRS version goes low enough and high enough for my needs.

Cykepod double pull...my second choice with be an Accutac and if you go Accutac learn to use it because like @Rocketmandb they can bite you.
The Accutac's are super solid great for load development, bench shooting...Cykepod is sloppy but best PRS type Bipod made and super simple to use and unlimited adjustments.

Cykepod is sloppy

Only when holding it. I had a buddy who thought that after holding mine and looking at mine when contemplating getting one. He said it had a lot of play. I let him shoot with it and he said he didn't feel any play and it was very stable. The sloppy feel makes no difference in use.

Reactions: LR1845
Only when holding it. I had a buddy who thought that after holding mine and looking at mine when contemplating getting one. He said it had a lot of play. I let him shoot with it and he said he didn't feel any play and it was very stable. The sloppy feel makes no difference in use.
Reminds me of the GRND-POD. Feels flimsy AF until in use. Lightweight for canyon busting hogs and setting up off the SXS.
The CkyePOD double pull will be my next bipod to FAFO test.
Presently use SCAL with ski feet for belly shooting LR and ELR. Heavy, but stable AF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aggrofish and Rob01
My two are the Atlas Cal (good, tough to lock the cant out) and I am using CykePod now and it is an improvement. It feels flimsy just hanging there, but it is solid when deployed. I like the adjustability and ease.

Reactions: Aggrofish and Rob01
I’ve got an atlas cal and a standard ckyepod.
My ideal would be the atlas feet on a prs model ckyepod.
My standard is too tall and has to be split way out wide for reasonable bench use and my atlas feet don’t actually fit it.
image.jpg

I’ve got an atlas cal and a standard ckyepod.
My ideal would be the atlas feet on a prs model ckyepod.
My standard is too tall and has to be split way out wide for reasonable bench use and my atlas feet don’t actually fit it.
View attachment 8425548
Really? I have Atlas ski feet on all of my Regular CykePods when shooting off the bench, they fit fine. If you have a double there is a place that advertises here that converts them to use Atlas feet. Out on dirt, the Cyke feet are spectacular.
EDIT:

Last edited:
I started with Harris with RRS ARCA adapter. Tried AccuTac but it is great off bench but had issues trying to use it on positions requiring different cants on one stage (car hood, car roof, car trunk). Sold AccuTac. Recently bought a Ckyepod to try.

Took JTAC class in March, interesting that the JTAC crew seems to use Harris majority of time and carries Ckyepod for unique stages.

I am back to Harris with RRS adapter 99% of time.

Harris bipods do well in PRS, most of the top 20 shooters any given year use Harris bipods. Atlas are great, but really don’t do anything the Harris doesn’t - and pan ends up being more of a pain than a pleasure.

An ideal kit for PRS competition coast to coast would be a Harris BRMS plus a double pull Ckyepod. There are times when a 6-9” bipod just isn’t enough - the Raton match, as an example - so the taller Ckyepod is a big advantage at a few places.

Really? I have Atlas ski feet on all of my Regular CykePods when shooting off the bench, they fit fine. If you have a double there is a place that advertises here that converts them to use Atlas feet. Out on dirt, the Cyke feet are spectacular.
Yeah, my little rubber ones in that pic will stick up in side but bottom out before the detent ball catches so they will pull right back out. Maybe that’s why it was a blem/second in Black Friday

Yeah, my little rubber ones in that pic will stick up in side but bottom out before the detent ball catches so they will pull right back
That's weird, mine fit fine. These must be something inside the leg. Twist them around when fully inserted and make sire they are not just slightly out or out of phase by 180 degrees. I edited my previous post with the link to the guy selling adapters that fit the double pull legs.

You are correct I should have been and little more detailed.

Reactions: Rob01
I use the Atlas 5H for long distance and benchrest. It's a heavy beast and has a wide stance, but you can solidly lock up the cant which makes it nice for getting the rifle level and keeping it there. I have to take it off to fit the rifle in the bag.

Issue with bipod is the best bipod for prone/modified prone may not be the best for shooting off barricades and props. Suggest you try multiple bipods at a match to get a feeling for each bipod's pro and cons.

I’ve used Harris (own 6 of them), Atlas Cal Gen 2, Accutac HD50 and TBAC. I now use (2) Atlas Cal Gen 2. Both have hawk hill feet. One has the picatinny clamp and the other has the SC-ARC clamp. The SC ARC one is my favorite

I'd start with something good but versatile, and if you get serious about PRS get a PRS specific bipod.

I've ran many, the Harris, Atlas (Original, Cal, SuperCal, 5H), Elite Iron, Ckye Pod, Accutac (BR4, WB4, FC-5)....like most things they all have their pros and cons. Weight, price, adjustability, stability, ease of use, etc.

For prone and bench if I could only have one and weight/price was not a huge consideration of those I've tried, probably the SuperCal or the WB-5. If I had to pack it hunting, probably the Cal or the BR4, I've almost never ran into situations where a short bipod was critical for hunting. For PRS the Ckye Pod. At the range most times I'm using the Super Cal or the WB-4 (thought I wish I had gotten the longer #5 legs). Accutac does not have nearly the height adjustment of the Atlas options though, so ordering the right height is critical, and it's less versatile due to the lack of height adjustment. In the WB-4 you only get ~2.5" of leg height adjustment where with the Super Cal you get just over 4". There's definitely been situations where I could make the SuperCal work, but the WB-4/5 would not, usually dealing with different range bench heights. Especially if you like running the legs at 45deg. I've never had a setup/shooting situation where I didn't end up with a WB-4 leg at least 1" extended, maybe if you had a range with a really short seat or tall bench. It depends on the model as well, because of the mount height in relation to the legs. A BR4 ends up being 1" taller than a WB4 with the same legs because it's clamp is higher. The same is true of the FC-5, even if you set the WB-4 legs to the same length as the FC-5, the FC-5 is 1" taller because of the height added for the panning clamp. To me the BR-4 is about right, but for the WB I'd prefer the 5 legs, and on the FC-5 the 4 legs. In fact I swapped the 4/5 legs around on the FC-5/WB-4 to do just that shortly after getting them.

I don't love the clamps on the Accutac's, first you have to pick between ARCA and Picatinny when so many now offer both, and no option to use aftermarket. Some of the ARCA/Picatinny clamps with levers work well on a variety of rails, they seem to have some ability to self adjust. For example I run an RRS ARCA/Picatinny lever clamp on my Atlas bipods, and I can move it from gun to gun and it tightens well on a variety of rails without having to mess with it or have it slipping (on picatinny rails). On the Accutac on those same guns, I have to adjust the nut on almost every rifle I swap it to for it to hold tight, and doing so on the bench between rifles is about as graceful as a monkey fucking a football. However, shooting the Accutac WB-4 and Atlas SuperCal back to back, I get slightly better groups with the Accutac and it feels more solid, but it's super close, I would not feel deficient with either. Could be my technique.

With Accutac if you get the panning versions it adds significant height to the gun mount so you lose a lot of the advantages of having wide-set legs compared to the non-panning versions. The WB-4 actually drops you further into the legs than the FC-5 does because of the height added for the panning unit. I wish they made a non-panning version of the FC-5 that dropped the rifle even further into the legs. Both lock up super solid for tilt. I'm not a huge fan of panning bipods for range use, but for comps/hunting I can see their value.

The CkyePods real advantage is it's massive flexibility and adjustability, making it perfect for PRS.

Elite Iron, it's crazy solid, I'm not sure what it is, I just didn't find myself taking it to the range as much as the Super Cal and WB-4. Maybe it was that it's more time consuming to install, especially if you have to swap adapters to go to another rifle. I know they now make QR mounts, but it gets a bit ridiculous how much you have to spend to get all the adapters to accommodate the system across multiple guns. You can very quickly spend $750+ just on adapters to fit different guns if you want to run the QR option.

Last edited:
The ckye-pod is a great bipod, it excels in the field. Works just fine off the bench as well, but if you aren't going to do much field shooting, you will be spending a lot of money on a bipod just to not use it to it's capacities.

I think the Atlas is a great do-it-all kind of bipod that doesn't break the bank. Well built, decent feature set. There's better bipods for field use (ckye-pod) or for F-class/BR, but as a general purpose bipod, it's hard to beat for the price.

People really like the accu-tac. I don't like that it has no slack to it, but that's my personal preference.

TBAC is another contender. More pricey than an Atlas, less than a Ckye-pod. I've never tried one, but it looks like a solid general purpose bipod, with a nice feature set.

$900 for a freaking BiPod? Not - A - Chance

You can buy a good gimbal camera setup for far less.

For as much as I shoot with a BiPod, I'll continue using my Harris.

ETA: Before all the "poors" comments start.....I "could" afford it, I just think that is a ridiculous price point for a BiPod.

Anyone own/familiar with the Sinclair Gen 3 F Bipod? Probably fine for prone and bench, not so for PRS. Interesting in that you do not have to load it.

really the only issue I have with the Harris on my RPR is my bad choice of an mlok mount. It’s sloppy with a lot of play. I should have went with an mlok picatinny rail and mounted to that.

I ordered a Cykepod PRS legs - $85 off $500+ sale at optics planet. I’ll pick up an Atlas Cal to try as well. the atlas will probably end up living on the 338. I haven’t really purchased any new rifles or accessories since arca rails became a thing, although I’ve had arca mounts on camera gear for a while. It really makes switching things a breeze.

appreciate the input

Reactions: kthomas

ETA: Before all the "poors" comments start.....I "could" afford it, I just think that is a ridiculous price point for a BiPod.
I'm in the camp, I'll find something else to get a kneeling or standing support. Like my trigger sticks or a fucken tree. Lol

Reactions: hkguns

$900 is ridiculous for a bipod, especially if you aren't going to use it for what it's designed for.

Sounds like you don't need a ckye-pod, so stick with your Harris.

Reactions: hkguns
That or the atlas. Bit biased as I detested the Harris. More work to deploy legs than the wobbly piece of junk was worth ( of course the last one I used was 26 years ago).

I just hope all the people blowing that kind of cash on a fricken bipod have their 401K's / retirements fully funded.

Real hard to live off the meager pittance SS shells out, assuming it is still around when you're done working. I don't want your hands in my pockets because you failed to do the needful when you could.

Sorry for the thread-jack. I'm done now.

• Haha
I just hope all the people blowing that kind of cash on a fricken bipod have their 401K's / retirements fully funded.

Real hard to live off the meager pittance SS shells out, assuming it is still around when you're done working. I don't want your hands in my pockets because you failed to do the needful when you could.

Sorry for the thread-jack. I'm done now.
lol. I hate spending money unnecessarily. My current build was paid for by amex and chase rewards points as well as selling a couple rifles I hadn't shot in years.

Agreed, it's pretty ridiculous how expensive some accessories have become, at some point it's not a matter of if you can afford it, it's more of a matter of principal. That said, consumers are simultaneously the single most powerful and stupid group. You'll drive yourself crazy thinking of what others spend $ on. I've been sucked into it in the past, but a few years ago I really went through and tried to streamline my gear. It's like some guys will spend $10k on Sig P226's of different color/variations and complain they can't afford the higher end stuff. When I see that I just think "Instead of buying 10 mediocre handguns that are basically the same you could have bought 4 really nice ones.

Not that a bipod isn't a very useful piece of kit, but it's hard to rationally justify $1000 for one unless you are shooting comps. I mean SIG can make a pair of binos that ranges to 6k, has an on board ballistic solver, and connects to other devices like a kestrel etc. for $800 to provide total firing solutions.......SIG must have product meetings that go something like "These idiots are spending $1000 on a bipod, and $750 on an ARCA rail and chassis weights......we need to charge WAY more".

It's rampant in shooting now though, there's likely no going back: guys are spending $500 in chassis weights, $800 for a scope mount....and $500 in offset mounts and levels to hang off it, $1000 for a bipod, $200 for a vertical grip, $100 for rubber dampers, $300 muzzle brakes, $250 ARCA rails, $200 ARCA clamps, $150 bubble levels, $400 for a simple tripod rifle clamp, $300 tripod tables, $225 for a shooting bag rest, $500 for a soft rifle case, $300 for a range bag, $2000 tripods, and lining up to do it with their battle cry "buy once cry once!". 20 years ago we used to complain about the prices of custom rifles and high end optics and Atlas bipods, but these days Atlas bipods are practically budget options by comparison to others. I suppose at the end of the day we all probably spend more on ammo than we ever do on guns/accessories.

Now I get buying and trying gear, it's often the only way to figure out what really works for you, so we all usually cycle through a few bipods, etc. till we find what works, but the pricing is insane for some of this stuff. It's one thing if it's super complex or optics/electronics, but these are fairly simple machined parts and most don't require aerospace level tolerances. The same is true if it offers features/performance no other competitor offers and you have a particular need/desire for that feature. Also totally understand avoiding buying junk, cause you just have to replace it or it fails, but $200 for a machined flat ARCA rail.......insanity.

Last edited:
I 100% recommend the Atlas Cal over the Harris. Personally I don’t care for the prs model atlas as I don’t need panning. That said I can shoot just as well off my Atlas as I can my Harris bipods. So buy what you can afford

I always recommend buying from the px here. You’ll not only save $$ but you can generally sell the item for what you got it for if you want to try something else

You don’t need top end everything to outshoot a guy who has it. There’s much more to it than $$

If you're just needing a bipod to prop up on for shooting prone or from the bench, a Harris will be everything you need and then some.. But if you are in need of something that is truly versatile for multiple situations, whether it be hunting, tactical/PRS, or just shooting on a range.. go with a Ckye-Pod and don't look back. I agree that a triple pull for $900 is ludicrous, and I can only see a select few situations where that model would be necessary, but 900 bucks is just too damn much. I have a PRS length and it is near perfect for anything I can think of doing. It can pan, tilt, get low, prop up high, and the best part is that it comes with the BTC clamp that attaches to both ARCA and Pic rails! I picked one up on here used for 400 and can't live without it honestly. Best piece of tactical equipment I own and money well spent. The others are great options, but I believe that the Ckye is hands down the most versatile and can do pretty much anything you will ever get into. My 2nd pick would be a TBAC but those are still not as well rounded as a Ckye, and are about the same price.

If you're just needing a bipod to prop up on for shooting prone or from the bench, a Harris will be everything you need and then some.. But if you are in need of something that is truly versatile for multiple situations, whether it be hunting, tactical/PRS, or just shooting on a range.. go with a Ckye-Pod and don't look back. I agree that a triple pull for $900 is ludicrous, and I can only see a select few situations where that model would be necessary, but 900 bucks is just too damn much. I have a PRS length and it is near perfect for anything I can think of doing. It can pan, tilt, get low, prop up high, and the best part is that it comes with the BTC clamp that attaches to both ARCA and Pic rails! I picked one up on here used for 400 and can't live without it honestly. Best piece of tactical equipment I own and money well spent. The others are great options, but I believe that the Ckye is hands down the most versatile and can do pretty much anything you will ever get into. My 2nd pick would be a TBAC but those are still not as well rounded as a Ckye, and are about the same price.
I have the cyke pod coming today. Optics planet had $85 off. I went with the PRS model.

I am about to commit blasphemy:

If shooting PRS a Harris or Atlas is what you want. MOST IMPORTANT make sure you can quickly remove it (during a stage). The rest are overkill designed to separate you from your good hard earned money (and Atlas might be even pushing it).

Frank will come in here call me a poser, I'm a big boy, but bipods just aren't worth the investment for PRS. Otherwise, buy a tripod for hunting, and a dedicted front rest for F-Class.

I am about to commit blasphemy:

If shooting PRS a Harris or Atlas is what you want. MOST IMPORTANT make sure you can quickly remove it (during a stage). The rest are overkill designed to separate you from your good hard earned money (and Atlas might be even pushing it).

Frank will come in here call me a poser, I'm a big boy, but bipods just aren't worth the investment for PRS. Otherwise, buy a tripod for hunting, and a dedicted front rest for F-Class.
1717093554840.gif

(I don’t even shoot PRS lol)