• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod vs. Bag Stability

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Just curious and looking for opinions. As I’ve said before in other posts, I’m more of a hunter than tactical shooter, and generally hunt from 20 foot tower stands with shelves built in for a shooting rest. Here’s my issue. My shots at deer can be as long as 900 yards on my longest field. In the past I’ve usually used a front bag under my rifle, like my wiebad mini fortune cookie, pulled my stock firmly into my outside shoulder pocket and braced my stock against the side shelf for elbow support. This can be very solid. However, after being trained in a professional two day long range shooting course earlier this year, I’ve restocked my 280ai with a vertical grip benchmark ibex stock, and now shoot using medial stock placement, center pec just inside the nipple. Now my issue is what to do for rear support on the rifle. I obviously can’t use the side shelves with the rifle so close to midline. I really need something directly in front of my chest, under my rifle to support a rear bag. Any suggestions? Also, as far as stability on the gun, would my mini fortune cookie bag under the front be more stable, or would a atlas bipod with the mini fortune cookie as a rear bag be a more solid rest? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome and would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Generally from a stand I just use a bag. Also my shots are maybe 200 yards. If I was shooting to 900 I’d want a bipod and rear bag. But that’s also what I practice with more. Practice with both and see what works best.

Reactions: DMP
I built a table on our buggy for this very thing. I have learned from quality shooters who make me look silly that a rear bag is a must. Consider as another option the carbon fiber tripods that will support the rifle. Usually at 100 yds most bullets don't fly far enough and are fast enough for your position not to cause a miss. 900 yds your getting close to a .5-1 second of flight time till POI. Alignment matters a lot. The Pro's hear can explain much better than this hillbilly. There's a reason snipers shoot prone and/or are great position builders before they call their shot. I'm fortunate to have a friend who has forgot more about shooting than I'll ever know. He uses a bipod and a rear bag or front and rear rest for a reason. Nothing these guys who know what they are doing happens by accident. JMHO

Hard to give advice without seeing your blind setup. But, I’m of the opinion that there is the ideal shooting form, then there is the position that is built taking into account practical considerations.

It doesn’t sound like your blind is designed to support your new shooting style. If this is the case, why are trying to shoehorn it into a box that doesn’t fit? You already know what works...

Tripod and a bag to fill the dead space under your arm to stabilize it. I’d personally practice the ever living hell out of shooting from that tripod.

Reactions: YotaEer
seems to me that if you have a barrier or shelf, and time use them, a bag on both ends is theoretically more stable and will keep you on target through recoil more than without (when used properly).
i have used a bipod pointed backward, and a bag under the grip to get a platform off a short shelf.
that said, i can't speak to anything about taking game at 900 yards.

If you have the space inside of your set up, maybe keep the bag in the front and use a trekking pole, BOG stick or similar device to help stabilize the rear of your rifle.

I don't hunt, but I shoot long range. I use a bipod on the front and a bag on the rear along with an adjustable bag base made by Mark and Sam in Australia. He makes his own products and shoots out past 5000 yards with awesome accuracy. It has adjustable elevation and windage so you can reduce a lot of guesswork on your shots. It has improved my MOA at 1000 yards from .5's to mid to upper .3's consistently!