• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipods, bipods, bipods!

IDbound

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
I have never had much luck shooting with a bipod. As I am reading more and more, I am finding out new secrets (i.e. need to "load" a bipod, not shooting off hard surfaces, etc.). I have a portable folding table I planned to shoot from and am looking for a good bipod. I have read so much on here and viewed so many YouTube videos that I think my head will explode. There are so many bipods, each claiming to be better than the next. I like the Atlas line but am open to other ideas as their bipods "don't appear to keep the rifle below the apex" as one YouTuber claimed was the secret to making a bipod more accurate. Money is an object and would really like to not exceed $300. What advice does anyone have?

Last edited:
You are going to get a lot of opinions. I prefer Atlas but there are many other good ones out there. Question, are you physically able to shoot prone? I ask because it’s the most stable position. Also, what rifle/chassis, caliber, chassis/stock, distance you are shooting at, what are you trying to achieve or improve upon, etc. it will help with replies. Also, what are your mounting options?

I own an Atlas and several Harris bipods and both work great. Personally I find the notched leg Harris the easiest to adjust from behind the rifle. I feel the Atlas is tighter and I run it on my AI chassis with a spigot mount. I can’t speak to the rest of the market but I feel these are two very good choices.

Reactions: 260284
Unless your folding table is really strong and stable (read "heavy"), your results will suffer. Additionally, if you wish to develop any practical skills with a rifle, a folding table isn't something you'd be carrying with you into the field.

As already stated, unless you are physically unable to do so, build your skills from the prone position. You could also look into using a tripod, but the investment there is two to three times of a good bipod.

Bipods - I use a Harris for my .22 LR and an Atlas 5H for my 14-pound precision bolt gun.

Thanks for the input. Yes I can shoot prone but just have never done so. I have shooting blinds on my farm so typically I was shooting at shorter distances just resting the rifle on the window sill and maybe a small sand bag. However, with the newest blind, most every shot will be 450 yards + and I quickly realized that I can't hold a rifle steady enough for a shot of that length. (Thus the idea of building the table which I think will be plenty sturdy unless I has miscalculated.) My plan was to shoot off the table and a bipod might make more sense than a Bull shooting bag. Or maybe not?

I'm an Atlas guy. I do about half of my shooting seated off of a concrete bench and the other half prone on ground-always been happy with it. Have only played with the Magpul one and never shot. Have not used any other one so not much help on the best one for you-just my small amount of data with Atlas. Very well made and aesthetically pleasing as I don't like the looks of the Harris and the springs.

In your scenario seems like you would need to pan and cant-and for a hunting rig going 450yds-you'd be looking at the PSR-heavy duty with pan and cant and the mounting interface of your choice-might be a little over $300. Good luck.

Tough to beat the stability of shooting off a solid bench with bags. Also for many of us, sitting at a bench with the rifle on bags is a far more comfortable position to hold for long periods of time. For the hunting purpose you describe, I think the bench/bags approach would be the ticket.

Atlas CAL is my current bipod but I will be seriously looking at the new options coming at Shot Show. I've got an empty ARCA rail begging for a bipod.

Reactions: Changed
Just wondering how does the atlas work with a heavy gun..like 18lbs heavy? Im curious because I find with the harris I cant get it tight enough to be solid with that much weight

Just wondering how does the atlas work with a heavy gun..like 18lbs heavy? Im curious because I find with the harris I cant get it tight enough to be solid with that much weight

Not sure about the other Atlas models, but the 5H is rock solid compared to the Harris. Large and spendy, but definitely up to the task of stabilizing heavy rifles.

Reactions: Gunnutz7
Before releasing our new bipod. My choice out of everything out there was a Harris with slotted legs and aftermarket feet. IF not running one of our new ones that is still what I would run. I think they are a great deal for the price.

Reactions: alaskalanche
TBACRAY: “Before releasing our new model.” I am not sure I understand your comment. I have in fact used a Harris in the past but my older models didn’t allow for “loading”. It is good for pinching my fingers when the legs spring closed!

I would like to hear any feedback on the Accu-Tac FC-G2. I had planned on an Atlas PSR due to the pan and tilt combo that the previous Accu-Tac did not offer. I really like the looks of Accu-Tac. It felt super sturdy in the store (previous FC model). I have not shot off one though. The rifle I am intending using the bipod is fairly heavy. Any info would be appreciated.

If your shooting out of a blind and resting the rifle on a window ledge I would get a game changer style bag before a bipod.

If your shooting from a bench or a table see if you can rig a 1X2 or some ledge in the table to load the bipod on.

I have and have used the Harris, atlas v8, atlas cal gen1, sako trg, evolution, and ckye.

My favorite is the TRG bipod because the apex of the legs is above the barrel line, it’s wide, and very stable. Unfortunately it fits my TRG only. For more universal bipods I’m loving my atlas CAL, it does not have the pan feature like the rest of the atlas bipods which is one of the reasons I got rid of my V8. I don’t like panning bipods. The CAL is very stable and simple.

Here is a small write up I did a while ago on the different bipods I have.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...more-bipods-mini-review.6895107/#post-7147345

I have never had much luck shooting with a bipod. As I am reading more and more, I am finding out new secrets (i.e. need to "load" a bipod, not shooting off hard surfaces, etc.). I have a portable folding table I planned to shoot from and am looking for a good bipod. I have read so much on here and viewed so many YouTube videos that I think my head will explode. There are so many bipods, each claiming to be better than the next. I like the Atlas line but am open to other ideas as their bipods "don't appear to keep the rifle below the apex" as one YouTuber claimed was the secret to making a bipod more accurate. Money is an object and would really like to not exceed $300. What advice does anyone have?

So I'm not going to assume anything....on the Harris, mounted legs folding forward, when the legs are deployed, you can load this bipod. And yes, the legs can be accidentally folded when bumped or snagged which is an operator error. On the "Apex" this is the point where the two center lines of the legs would meet above a given bipod in the air.

I appreciate you considering the Atlas bipod line, they have several patented features often copied by others as there is solid value in them. All use "Hold what you move technology" which means all of the leg movements, length and position are intentional. The Atlas PSR version was selected for the SOCOM PSR program (thus the bipod name), the original BT10 was also selected for the SOCOM MK14 MOD 2. So there's a couple of Atlas bipods under 300.00 that the US Military validated as worth shooting off of. All of that to say Atlas bipods and the materials used in thier manufacture are a tested and proven design. The new CAL is a solid, Cant only, bipod choice, with a wide footprint, patented leg positions, an Apex about 1.3" above the the bottom of the mounting rail and weighs about 13 ounces. The ready to mount BT65 is about 240.00, with the ADM lever mount BT65-LW17 is almost 300.00 while more than an Harris, it seems a great value on todays market when compared to other bipods options costing alot more.

But to your question, if you are shooting off a bench and out of a blind with walls and windows, I'd use one of those "X" shaped sand bags, no brainer from bench and then let the lower V of X stradle the blind window sill it'll be quiet and better than a bipod in that application. If your using a blind without walls and windows, like a netted one, and your sitting, The Atlas outer legs, the part that moves, are 1/2" ID, so you can remove the feet and insert 1/2 dowel rod and get it to whatever heigth needed (another benefit to the "hold what you move technology").

Again, thanks for considering Atlas, don't let you head explode over a bipod, reading the wind will do that! :)

I've ran Harris bipods for years. Always preferred the notched leg versions. I recently bought an Atlas to run on my heavy rifles. I really like how I am able to load the bipod on my Atlas vs Harris.
Definitely each has there place, but for those long shots, I will go with my Atlas.

KASEY and others. Thank you so much for all of your insights. Kasey I really appreciate your interaction with us non-technical types. You are a real stand up guy, acknowledging when someone else has a well designed bipod as was mentioned in a recent bipod from a certain Wyoming company. It makes me feel very confident in your company should I decide to get the CAL 2 bipod (even though I really need to give my x-bag more of a chance). The problem is that it is just not as sexy as your line of bipods!!

Any reviews on the Ckye pod?
I've only ever owned a Harris due to a limited budget but thinking of upgrading.

Any reviews on the Ckye pod?
I've only ever owned a Harris due to a limited budget but thinking of upgrading.

What type of shooting do you do? And what are you hoping to gain by upgrading to the ckye? I have a Harris and a ckye.

KASEY and others. Thank you so much for all of your insights. Kasey I really appreciate your interaction with us non-technical types. You are a real stand up guy, acknowledging when someone else has a well designed bipod as was mentioned in a recent bipod from a certain Wyoming company. It makes me feel very confident in your company should I decide to get the CAL 2 bipod (even though I really need to give my x-bag more of a chance). The problem is that it is just not as sexy as your line of bipods!!

You are welcome! There are a lot of really good people here on Snipers Hide, with a lot of experience that they are willing to share, it remains my "go-to" website. I did not know you were going for "sexy", so by all means, get the CAL!! :)

I have a harris (base model) and have a buddy that has an atlas and after using the atlas they are not in the same league. if you can afford the atlas by once cry once. If not you will still do fine with a harris.

on a side note
Do they have bipods that bolt right up to keymod or square mod (the strange hand guard that comes on the 700 PCR)?

i use a Harris on my 18.3 lb .300 RUM with a 32 inch barrel and after tightening the adjustment screws with pliers it holds very well. could not get it tight enough with only my fingers.

Reactions: Gunnutz7
What type of shooting do you do? And what are you hoping to gain by upgrading to the ckye? I have a Harris and a ckye.
I shoot PRS type matches and have heard a few people say the Harris is now an entry level bipod. Mine has definitely served me well, but I've noticed there are fewer of them at my club.
How would you rate the Ckye in comparison?

I have some Harris’, i like em if you file down the backside of the plate where the legs hit when extended you can get just a few degrees of cant to them which helps them not dance across the ground when shooting off concrete. I put the hawk hill talons on one and now it digs in great!