• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipods

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Atlas Bi pods cost 3X that of Harris ,I want to shoot steel off a bench our prone . Is the Atlas that much better ?

Reactions: 338dude
Depends. First question is what range is your steel at? Second would be what is the rest of the set up? Factory rifle out to 200m is a different animal than a custom build past 1,000m.

Harris is one of two bipods I would be looking at for entry level/general purpose use. The other is MagPul's bipods. Back in the 90s/early 2000s Harris was the go to. But by todays standards they are lagging a bit. Still solid and works, but there are other options now. Atlas is top tier, and if you are really going to stretch the legs of you rifle, then it would be worth it.

Taging for interest--I know there was a heated debate on bipods, but looking at what atlas brings to table. (no doubting Atlas is the top--just wondering what makes them top dog).

The Harris works well it is a little stiff which can cause it to hop but it deploys quickly. The Altas is very nice, expensive and slow to deploy it is probably considered the "Standard" at this point in time. Better than the Harris in most situations. Thunder Beast is new to the show and looks to be a contender but another $100 over the Atlas, worth looking at if you are in that deep already. What's another $100?

Reactions: 338dude
Okay I bought BT10-LW17 . My legs rotate . Is there a fix for this ? Like the Cleat feet ?

Last edited:
Okay I bought BT10-LW17 . My legs rotate . Is there a fix for this ? Like the Cleat feet ?

Shoulda gotta bipod with a panning lockout.

I can’t believe how a lot of these “high end” bipod manufacturers still haven’t yet figured out a way to keep their legs square to the rifle or that a lot of people strongly want a panning lockout option.

Magpul is hard to beat for a budget bipod with panning lockout and will do everything you need it to and more for a fraction of the price of an atlas.

Shoulda gotta bipod with a panning lockout.

I can’t believe how a lot of these “high end” bipod manufacturers still haven’t yet figured out a way to keep their legs square to the rifle or that a lot of people strongly want a panning lockout option.

Magpul is hard to beat for a budget bipod with panning lockout and will do everything you need it to and more for a fraction of the price of an atlas.
That's not what leg rotation is.

Reactions: The Bloke
Atlas Bi pods cost 3X that of Harris ,I want to shoot steel off a bench our prone . Is the Atlas that much better ?

Harris BRMS run $100-120
Atlas BT-10 w/ the fixed clamp is $220, used for $190-200.

While yes, they have $400 ones, you can get the entry level one for about double.

Reactions: Iron Worker

I shoot those positions a lot along with some others when I have a range session, I have 4 atlas’s now for my rifles. Giving my only Harris away to my brother in law for an entry level as he is new to shooting and starting to learn. I wasn’t sold on the price but after my first psr purchase, I knew the investment was worth it. 2 psr and 2 Cal’s later I have not one single regret. Save up the money and buy good quality products is my opinion.

I think its pretty well established that the Atlas is favored. I think the question is what does it provide over the Harris. If one searches, unfortunatly that answer gets lost in the noise (I haven't been able to locate it). Again, not saying I disagree or have any evidence/experience otherwise--just can't seem to find what features Atlas improves over the Harris one.

I think its pretty well established that the Atlas is favored. I think the question is what does it provide over the Harris. If one searches, unfortunatly that answer gets lost in the noise (I haven't been able to locate it). Again, not saying I disagree or have any evidence/experience otherwise--just can't seem to find what features Atlas improves over the Harris one.

Being square and consistent is the biggest difference.

Not to mention an obvious upgrade in quality of materials. I’ve broken damn near every Harris I’ve owned at some point.

Reactions: DocRDS
The Harris works well it is a little stiff which can cause it to hop but it deploys quickly.

Hi,

A bipod cannot cause a rifle to "hop". Only chinks in the recoil and rifle control can cause a rifle to "hop".
It is due more to improper form of the shooter, NOT the bipod.
Most benches are not designed or built to facilitate proper bipod shooting IMO. There is just typically no way to get inline with the rifle and the recoil motion.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

A bipod cannot cause a rifle to "hop". Only chinks in the recoil and rifle control can cause a rifle to "hop".
Most benches are not designed or built to facilitate proper bipod shooting IMO. There is just typically no way to get inline with the rifle and the recoil motion.

Sincerely,
Theis
Ok a bipod doesn't hop, it skips. If you put a bipod on a smooth solid surface it moves under recoil. Before you refuse to believe this get your Harris bipod put it on a smooth bench and film it with a high speed camera, the feet move. You don't want your bipod feet moving, the bipod should flex/pivot at the top to absorb the recoil and keep you on line with the target. The Harris is one of the worst at this because there is very little flex at the top mounting point. Can this be managed by the shooter, yes but it requires that the bipod be loaded which is virtually impossible on a hard smooth surface.

I have used Harris, Atlas, LRA and Accu-Tac. For shooting prone or off a bench the Accu-Tac is the best of the 4. I use the new WIDE BODY series the WB-4 is the shortest with the WB-5 3/4 of and inch or so taller. They are built tough and for my 375CT i use the HD-50.

Reactions: Mr. Worthington
You don't want your bipod feet moving, the bipod should flex/pivot at the top to absorb the recoil and keep you on line with the target. The Harris is one of the worst at this because there is very little flex at the top mounting point. Can this be managed by the shooter, yes but it requires that the bipod be loaded which is virtually impossible on a hard smooth surface.
So says you

These guys say (and demonstrate) otherwise

I have found that pulling the rifle back in the shoulder using only bicep tension is far more important than how much loading one puts on a bipod.

Reactions: 1500varmint
So says you

These guys say (and demonstrate) otherwise

I have found that pulling the rifle back in the shoulder using only bicep tension is far more important than how much loading one puts on a bipod.

Yep first video showed it perfectly bipod feet are sliding slightly to the left with each shot. For the record I don't load my bipod but I use an Atlas which does pivot at the top.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
I feel there same way about benches. I thought it was just me.

Ok a bipod doesn't hop, it skips. If you put a bipod on a smooth solid surface it moves under recoil. Before you refuse to believe this get your Harris bipod put it on a smooth bench and film it with a high speed camera, the feet move. You don't want your bipod feet moving, the bipod should flex/pivot at the top to absorb the recoil and keep you on line with the target. The Harris is one of the worst at this because there is very little flex at the top mounting point. Can this be managed by the shooter, yes but it requires that the bipod be loaded which is virtually impossible on a hard smooth surface.
You’re not always going to be able to avoid the bipod sliding back if you have significant recoil. There’s nothing wrong with that. You you are in a good position and the rifle is attached to you properly you will stay on target. It’s nice to have some play in the bipod to allow it to rock back and forth but it’s not a necessity for recoil management.

I may try that at the next benchrest match. I can just hear them now...
raw

Reactions: Campguy308
Modified prone is the only way I shoot off a bench. Bipod, and rear bag. I fucking hate sitting beside my gun.

Does thr hate for harris relate only to the base models mounted on sling studs, or does it include heavily modified/properly set up harris versions, eg with pod-loc, and something like an MLOK UL pic mount or RRS pic+ARCA rail mount?

Does thr hate for harris relate only to the base models mounted on sling studs, or does it include heavily modified/properly set up harris versions, eg with pod-loc, and something like an MLOK UL pic mount or RRS pic+ARCA rail mount?
It’s the overall design with narrow angle legs and a below barrel intersection.
Harris bipods don’t always suck.
In hunting and situations where speed a concern they offer a good compromise and the magpul is better yet.
For maximum stability the Harris is certainly not a top contender.

You still have some fairly cheap stamped parts. Also, once you kit out a Harris, you might as well buy an atlas.

The “hate” is mainly directed to the “it’s just as good” crowd. It works for what we do, but not just as good when it comes to quality and such.

I’m betting 80% of the people if not more on here have started out with a Harris style bipod.... They can work to ring steel just fine.

It all depends on how far your gonna take the sport... are you planning on shooting PRS style matches, ELR, Benchrest? Or are you gonna be the guy that just goes out and likes to ring steel every once in awhile??

Ain’t that the truth. Bought a drummers stool (Roc & Soc and wow it a very nice bit of kit) and position it behind the bench and this has really helped. Adjusts up and down and I can lean well forward from the hips while on it.

I have owned them all over the years and currently "sold" on elite iron, got rid of the rest, but, like IrishWind said, depends on your specific application.

I did the exact same - sold every bipod I had to replace with an Elite Iron Revolution.

Reactions: pfl338
Depends. First question is what range is your steel at? Second would be what is the rest of the set up? Factory rifle out to 200m is a different animal than a custom build past 1,000m.

Harris is one of two bipods I would be looking at for entry level/general purpose use. The other is MagPul's bipods. Back in the 90s/early 2000s Harris was the go to. But by todays standards they are lagging a bit. Still solid and works, but there are other options now. Atlas is top tier, and if you are really going to stretch the legs of you rifle, then it would be worth it.
I hsve been using GG&G bipod.
Also not cheap but solid.

Reactions: Old_Longhair

Not at all a direct reply. I started off shooting several different bipods, different prices, not much success with any of them. Too much wobble and such. So gravitated towards bags and ended up happy for a few years with heavy bullbags, even if a chore to tote around (I'm 70).

Later, started looking at bipods again since one local range required their use for a competition. Tried some split M-Lok bipods and I was hooked.
Each side attaches to handguard rather than jointly beneath the handguard. Sturdier, no side wobble, they fold and angle just like any bipod. Not real pricy at all, either.

Got more for my other rifles.

Want to buy some used one-piece bipods???

No " Hop" of any kind, even with ski feet, Its a fantastic bipod. That being said the only instances I have had with Hop an any bipod has been when I have let my fundamentals "relax" or get sloppy with recoil management. With proper alignment and pressure ( I personaly subscribe to the" pressure in the shoulder pocket" and not" loading up the bipod") With your choice of discipline, and practice bipod hop should be eliminated. I also prefer the Elite Iron for the fact that the rifle hangs from the apex instead of sit on top of it. And yes they are somewhat industrial looking, but its a tool so I don't mind

In a similar vein I’ve been pleased with my Fortmeier for the same mechanical reasons.

AA0FCE28-E661-4AD8-A5F4-D3D3EEF313DC.jpeg

9B64B926-23D2-43CF-AA99-A4F3DA03A08D.jpeg

Back to the question at hand, you can use both fine. I have both a Harris and an Atlas on two different rifles. The Harris is faster to deploy as some said but not as versatile. Being able to run the legs at a 45 degree angle sometimes is nice on the Atlas. Also, with the way the legs are made between the two the Harris seems to get grit in the system if its a sandy firing position. I started with a Harris and didn't feel it held me back at all. I bought the Atlas to try it out and i wanted more adjustment.