• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Black and Tan?

Slab74

Bullets, BBQ, and Bourbon Connoisseur
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2019
I am a big fan of Black and Tans. I believe that the traditional is made with Guinness and Bass ale. Bass seems to be rarer that varget these days. I’m always interested in new mixes. Might go to right now is Guinness and sierra Nevada pale ale. Tried this tonight and I was not impressed, but it was drinkable. Any suggestions?
4AB5A9F7-EF86-46FF-84D4-BF95F37E1292.jpeg

Not a cider fan. Never seen machine in my area. Harp is rare too.

Mendocino brewing company used to have what they called a black eye that was really good, eye of the hawk and black hawk stout, but it’s gone too.

Not a cider fan. Never seen machine in my area. Harp is rare too.
a machine is a single malt whiskey with Coke served like a black and tan. A black and tan is an Irish drink, find an Irish bar.

Try #2 tonight. This is what happens when you have a shelter in place order state wide. But to be fair, this is what I’d be doing anyways. Review shortly
47DC534A-4AF4-4261-9336-60351B749C97.jpeg
47DC534A-4AF4-4261-9336-60351B749C97.jpeg

I did look it up and there is a machine English style ale. Haha

I have beer nights and bourbon nights. Never the twine shall meet.
F3413635-1BA3-4FA8-A5A3-E199593C313E.jpeg

The eel River pale ale has hope. It’s also brewed about 3 miles away from my house.

Anything made with an IPA is going to taste like shit. Just sayin.
I’ve had a few that worked. It’s kinda my hobby. Also I may have a problem. I’ve never seen a gun or an ipa that I didn’t want to try.

Reactions: lash
In my opinion the op was spot on, sierra pale mixes perfectly with Guiness (as does a nice dry cider). If you use Murphy's, I prefer a red/amber ale such as alaska or a sweeter cider.

Not sure if anyone cares, but i believe both breweries are still independent, which is hard to do.

Boddington’s will work as well.

Old Speckled Hen remains my favorite Uk beer though...

I second AJV35XX, but with Strongbow cider. That, or Rock Creek cider from Big Rock (when I feel homesick). I always called the cider versions "Snakebite". An attractive Irish barmaid at a pub somewhere in NY called it a Black Velvet; the way she pronounced it...all I could do was say "yes please".

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Certain beers pair VERY well together, and some not so much. IBU, hops, etc all play in to it.

I worked at a brewery for two years and we had a few “off the list” brews that the locals would order from playing mad scientist.

Mixing a real half-and-half should involve a spoon to get the layers just right. But to each their own.

The wife seems to be a big fan of Black and Blue, which is Guinness and Blue Moon.

She likes it for what that's worth

In Ireland it’s actually called a pint of mixed. Asking for a Black and Tan will get you removed in an abrupt manner in many pubs.
Searched all over for Harp before St Patrick’s day and it was unubtanium. Just had to have a Red Breast 12 with a Guinness side ? ?

I love the slow roll of a black and tan in the coon woods.....otherwise I prefer my Guinness unmolested:D I expect N Ireland is fine with a black and tan but my people are from around Athenry so I prefer to stick with single pot stills and the plain back stuff.

Years ago, I went over to a friend's house for a beer after a pistol match. He asked me if I wanted a half and half and I accepted. When he made the drink I called it a blank and tan. Holy shit did I get a lecture from him. His last name is Cavanaugh.

Guinness over champagne=Black Velvet. Great with oysters!