• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Black Hills 175gr Match Ammo

TxShooter63

Sergeant
Banned !
Sep 25, 2007
Dallas/Fort Worth
As we all know, finding a company that produces a quality product isn't as easy as it once was. This past week I had a student come in for a private long range precision rifle class. He brought a brand new FN SPR and about 30 boxes of Black Hills 175 match ammo. As part of the class we chonographed his ammo to create the initial ballistic profile for his rifle. I had told him to expect a velocity spread of 30fps. What we ended up with was a velocity spread of 9 fps! I have been handloading along time and I am thrilled with 15fps when I get it.

Jeff Hoffman and crew are definitely getting the job done at Black Hills. I am in no way associated with them. I just thought it was nice to see a company who obviously cares about their product.

The FN shot pretty well also with an average of 3/8"-1/2" moa. It suffers from barrel heating issues after 5 shots or so but the first two shots from a cold barrel were always one hole.

Re: Black Hills 175gr Match Ammo

I have been using Black Hills 175 grn for the past year and the results are outstanding. I too have had the same results, In fact last weekend i used my chrono and my new GA 308 and out of 5 shoots 2 were the same FPS.

The largest spread was 6 fps.

I too would like to give a HUGE thumbs up to Jeff and his crew, They have stepped it up.

What did it chrono?

Lots were a bit slow there for a while, but I have seen recent improvements.

No doubt that Black Hills makes some great ammo. I use it in my CCW with complete confidence. Their ammo isn't cheap, however.

I used a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph.... Not the best but its always worked for me.

Results were as follows. GA M40A3

Shot 1 - 2682
Shot 2 - 2679
Shot 3 - 2676
Shot 4 - 2679
Shot 5 - 2680

Not sure if it was luck, But this is what I got

Avg - 2679