• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blackeyed peas

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I had mine today with some greens and a dime in the pot. Damn, they tasted good.
Where the hell did this tradition come from?
I remembered this in the AM and went and got them. My Mother in Law,RIP, sent me out in the snow and blowing cold one New Year's Day years ago to get her some for New Years day and some greens to go with them. She was very concerned that we didn't have them and very insistant that I go get them. She even went out and turned the hubs on my pickup so I could get through the snow.
I really loved her and respected her and her wishes so through the blizzard I went.
She cooked it all up with a silver dime in the pot and all was well with her then.
I have continued this from that day forward and a can of greens had to suffice today but I don't know why other than a respect in her memory. She was from southern Kansas if that helps unravel this question Regards, FM
PS It was no secret that she was batshit crazy but I did love and respect her,and I was fuckin her daughter.

Last edited:
and, I was fuckin her daughter.

Hah, hah! but, she (MIL) was living in YOUR house at the time, right ? Similar situation @ the threadcutter308 abode. The MIL is a sweetheart, I could have done a lot worse. But, it is funny to think that I'm having my way, so to speak, and there's nothing she can really say about it. Now, if I could just find a way to get rid of her little yip yap Chinese chin dog (or, whatever the hell it is) without getting caught......I nicknamed it "shovelready"......Really, the dog has nothing to worry about as long as "Mom" is alive......That changes and justice will be swift (will probably give it away.......). Don't ask, don't tell.

Mom said eating greens would bring prosperity in the new year. Don't remember what black eyed peas did...except compliment the hamhock.

Just had mine at dinner this evening. Wife has been serving them every NYD since we were married 36 years ago.

Never heard of that tradition... despite living below the Mason-Dixon line for nearly a decade.

But here you go. Seems to have an origin in the Civil War!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I grew up in the south. A poor mans banquet was a pot of blackeyed peas, some collad's,a chunk of cornbread and a little fresh churned butter. Chop up some onions, and sheeeeeeeeeeiiit.

Having spent some time in Central America I learned to love black beans. They call them 'negritos'. Gotta cook them for ever but yummy.

DAMN! I like me some black eye peas or "purple hulls" as my Mother called 'em. Never knew it was a New Years tradition. Gonna have to work on that.

I believe the peas are supposed to be for health. Greens are for money and I don’t recall what the pork is supposed to be for. We had Mississippi purple hull that were grown here. Collards were cut today and were fine, despite not getting above freezing. Chow chow was eaten with both the peas and greens.

In this part of the country, when someone says peas, it’s assumed they mean Southern peas. Green peas are referred to as English or sweet peas. I used to work for a man from Michigan. Peas were brought up for some reason and he said that he didn’t like them and they tasted like dirt. I just smiled and said yea, but they taste like Southern dirt.

Edit: I believe the peas were for luck and the pork was for health.

Last edited:
Had ours yesterday. Wife is from Florida and makes Hoppin' John every New Years. 35 times so far. Didn't know about the silver dime. Now I have a quest before the year is out. Sounds like a Christmas gift idea.

Thank you,
MrSmith

I had leftover peas again last night. Heated them back up on the stove and added a can of rotel tomatoes to the pot. Highly recommended!

When I worked in the shipyards, there was a fellow who brought a thermos of the same thing for lunch every day. It looked nasty, but smelled wonderful, so eventually I asked him what it was. It was black eyed peas, and ham hocks, and it was nothing short of fabulous. Eventually, he had me over to his place and taught me how to make it. I still think it is great...simple to make, although time consuming. My wife won't eat it, but I still love it! I'll make a giant pot of it, and freeze 6-10 containers of it for later. It is always better the second day.

This has been rather entertaining as well as educational.
In my OP I told about making a special trip for my Mother in Law and her going out in the blizzard to turn the hubs on my 4X4 pickup, it was that important to her, and sending me on my way. That kind of makes me feel old as few realize that old trucks needed the hubs to be engaged unlike the more modern vehicles now where you just push a button but at the time all I could afford to drive was older junk that I rebuilt over and over again.
As I stated above, she was a bit eccentric and superstitious,, hell call it like it was, she was batshit crazy but I did love her and had the greatest of respect for her. and miss her to this day. My Father in Law, not so much, he was a Grade 1 ASSHOLE and I would not have even gone out on the porch and pissed downwind for him and don't miss him a bit, damn glad he is gone.
I think the silver dime, it had to be silver, was in hopes you would be blessed with not only green but silver as well.
At least I had one In Law that was cool. RIP Mom FM

FM, If you want to try to grow some up there, let me know and I can send some seed in the spring. They'll put out 2018 pea seed about late March here, even though you don't plant them till mid May (they'll germ in ~65* soil, but they're not planted till mid May due to bugs).

Let me think on that.
Maybe on the outside of a circle where they get some but not a lot of water, lots of sun? How drought tolerant are they? FM

They love hot and tollorate drought very well.

i don't know what's in the circle, but the peas will not like any roundup or broadleaf.

Last edited:
Hate that band.

Saw rthem in Greensboro NC before Fergie became known, pretty sure it was during her meth period.

Huh, what?