• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blackwater Precision Rifle Class

Re: Blackwater Precision Rifle Class

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about going this spring. Anybody got a review?

BW has good courses, I worked for them in the past and their facility is top notch! Depending on your skill level is what will make the class. They like to fit the class to the bell curve.

Ok, it's official. I have signed up and will be going to the May class. Now, I have to start stockpiling 200 rounds of .338 Lapua ammo. $$$$

Took the LE classes up the (BLE and ALE) once upon a time. Took em both in NC. Classes were good. Instructors were great. (Had some guys that needed to be brought up to speed in BLE, and the instructors kinda split the class for the first day and a half to get those guys squared away.) Facility is GTG as well. Couldnt tell you about the money part of it. Agency paid.

That said, no clue about the civilian classes. Would expect much of the same as what we had, just with a bit of a different tilt.

I haven't heard that they have civilian classes.

I wouldn't shoot .338 in the Basic class: there's much more shooting in basic than the advanced. I would take a .308. Ranges are only to 800 yards.

Instructors are excellent (now). Class curriculum is excellent (now). There's a participant guide (coursebook) now. When I was there they also had standards: pass/fail qual for the basic class. Both are good things to have.

Sometimes they over-sell the class in which case you will get a wide variety of students and equipment, some of both will lag behind the rest.

Worth it? Yes. And the new bunkhouse in NC is very, very nice.

I took precision rifle 1, in Dec 09. Great class, with knowledgeable instructors. Civilian class, no stalking skills. Our Class was full. Brought 200 rd 308, would consider 300 wm or 338 lapua for PR2 when it happens.

I took it back around 2002 when Chandler was running it and it was a good course. Good basics and shot to 600 yards. Not sure about now though.

Went last May and it was worth every penny. Billy was an excellent instuctor and the facility is a shooters disney land

Semper Fi

Yes, took the class. Basic LE sniper. It was good.

Lead instructor "Billy" was absolutely first rate. Ex Canadian Army and an outstanding teacher. The two other instructors were more concerned with impressing students with their SOF backgrounds than really teaching. One of them made us feel like if we weren't ex-1SFOD, we were mere insects he had to put up with between deployments.

But overall, the course was well done. I learned new stuff. The students were all highly motivated and great to work with and I made some friends. I got to shoot on a 1000 yd. range. And, again, I can't speak highly enough about our lead instructor who was BTDT and a fantastic teacher w.out ego or pretentions. He had our instant respect.

Cost was a bit steep, but not out of line w. industry. And just to see the BW facility, interact with operators from around the world and do workups on their ranges is worth a bit of a premium.

FYI, just got back from another training run by York County, SC (near Charlotte) SWAT. LEO M/O course. That class was better, the people were world class and the cost was minimal. But I wouldn't have got the invite if I hadn't met some of their instructors at BW. So another plus.

IMHO, do BW once. It's worth it just to say you have been there. And you will learn.

Cheers, SIRHR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Code_11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, it's official. I have signed up and will be going to the May class. Now, I have to start stockpiling 200 rounds of .338 Lapua ammo. $$$$</div></div>
Cool deal. I may jump in on it as well. I need to start stockpiling 600 dollars lol

Change in plans; opted out of the precision rifle to take the 5 day carbine operator's course. Couldn't resist 2500 rounds of .223 in dynamic shooting drills. Anybody take this course in the past? Any feedback?

Just finished the Carbine Operator course last week. Still stiff from the class and
drive home. Very good in my opinion. Excellent instruction from Joe S. and Tom
A. Encouraged to use irons mostly but red dot use allowed. PM for any questions.