• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Blaser R8 custom stock/stock retrofit?

chase723

Pew Pew Guy
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2017
I’m thinking about jumping into the Blaser R8 foray however I don’t like their stock options at all. I’d like to stick one of there receivers into something like a Manners EH1-A, T2A-Elite, or maybe even just their carbon fiber ultralight classic...Anyone ever done something like this/had anyone do it? I realize this is potentially expensive.

Thanks

Chase

I reached out to Chad. Long Rifles is setup to do it if it can be done. I think it’s looking like it’s possible. Just a matter of making the decision to take the plunge...I’m leaning real hard that way.

The more challenging task will be making barrels...there’s a couple solutions to the problem. Not sure if I want to go that far yet, but who knows.

Last edited:
I’ve wanted the same.
Hope to watch your build thread

what’s the deal with barrels?

There are a few non-Blaser companies that make barrels. JSIP is one in America but there is another with not such a good reputation. I believe there is one in NZ (Border?), and Bix N Andy makes them, but won't export to America as the cost is prohibitive.

There are several carbon fiber options for stocks, I had heard of one in America but I don't know who it is. FBT or the Austrian company Fine Ballistic Tools, and Raven Euro both make R8 stocks in carbon fiber. FBT has thumbhole styles, and Raven just makes copies of the Blaser R8 stocks.

I have two R8 complete rifles in 300 Win, 30-06 and an extra barrel in 280 ackley.

Reactions: majohnson2
Yeah, pickings for this stuff over here are extremely thin! I’ve tried getting ahold of JSIP several times without success. I also emailed Pale Horse Zero and again nothing. If I can swing a couple things then I’ll probably go down the road of having LRI make a couple. The first one will be a kick in the nuts, but the others shouldn’t be. LRI also picks up the phone, does top notch work, is a legit first class gunmaker, is a supporter of the Hide and I presume will be around for the long haul...I’m thinking I’d rather go that route regardless.

If I do it I’ll post a review of the outcome.

I had forgot about Pale Horse, the guy that taught PH about Blaser's built my 280 Ackley barrel. It is squared away. I do not know anything about Pale Horse.

JSIP is legit. I know several people who have bought from them. What is your timeline on contact from them? They answered my emails within a couple of days.

If you want Chad Dixon level customer service on Blaser's you are going to be in for a lot of dissapointments. Unless you can get Chad to do it.

I have a Manners T-5A that is in-letted for a 700 short. I might fill it full of Dev-con and inlet a Blaser into it. I had not thought about doing that, but it is an interesting idea.

I also have a Harry Lawson 98 Mauser thumbhole (the original designer of the McMillan Lazzeroni stock). I bought it with the intent of using it for a Blaser pattern.

What are your goals with switching to this system?

GRS makes stocks that are inlet for Blaser systems, but you need a donor action to make it work.

Euro Optic has 3 models in stock.

Goals are a fast and accurate rifle system, that allows for quick, field expedient, barrel swaps with repeatable return of accuracy, easily scalable in caliber, but can use better stocks (both look better and function better) than those manufactured by Blaser.

One off note, my 30-06 R8 Professional with a 30mm steel mount, and a 6-24x56 ZD Meopta is 10 pounds on the dot.

I’ve wanted the same.
Hope to watch your build thread

what’s the deal with barrels?

Blaser stuff that I'm familiar with basically uses a "blooming flower petal" for a bolt head to lock the "action" into battery. The bolt head expands into a ring located inside the actual barrel. When you flip the handle to extract the case, the "flower" collapses and this is what allows for the linear in/out motion of the bolt body.

Machining the female feature into the barrel isn't all that hard to do, but heat treating it properly is absolutely critical and that requires others to be involved. I'm 99% certain that Blaser uses magnetic induction to do this. The barrel may also be salt bath nitrided to increase the surface hardness as well. All very doable, but it has to be done outside of most any shop. I can't think of a single cottage custom shop that has that resource in house.

Solve those two problems and all of this stuff becomes pretty easy.

C.

Reactions: Bravo6
@LongRifles Inc.

What about making an adapter/barrel extension that a barrel threads into? That way you could use standard blanks and the adapter is the only thing that has to be heat treated.

You thinking on something like this?

The biggest problem is the expense of the receiver. Blaser doesn't sell stand alone R8 professional receivers. You can buy a R8 reciever for a wood stock for about $1000 from Euro Optic. But it isn't made to fit into a one piece stock, it is made for a two piece stock like the ULtimate and wood stocks have.

JSIP's barrels are about $1000, a Blaser barrel is about $1200 to $3500,

I just looked at my Elmer Laitala barrel and it appears to be a two piece barrel, where the chamber end of the barrel end is machined on it's own.

Reactions: chase723
The GRS models have the Blaser receiver built into the stock itself so just neee bolt carrier, bolt head, trigger/magazine group and barrel.

The GRS models have the Blaser receiver built into the stock itself so just neee bolt carrier, bolt head, trigger/magazine group and barrel.
This is not correct. You still need a donor R8 Professional receiver. Perhaps you‘re thinking of the AKILA chassis/receiver?

@LongRifles Inc.

What about making an adapter/barrel extension that a barrel threads into? That way you could use standard blanks and the adapter is the only thing that has to be heat treated.

Undoubtably, there's a number of ways to skin this cat. A barrel extension will certainly work, but there the issue becomes ensuring its safe and insurable. Product liability insurance is a very real and expensive cost that has to be factored into stuff.

If your a one-man shop with an LLC your assets are likely pretty small. Shops like mine will inspire you to err to caution.

I do not like the standard Professional stock. It is stiff, I would venture that it is as stiff as anything not put into a pure metal chassis. Ergnomically it is great for off hand shooting, but I think for snipery type functions it needs some adjustment.

GRS changed their adjustment system in the new Bifrost, Warg and Ragnarok to be plastic internals greatly increaseing the amounting of suck.

I would like to have my T-5A inletted for a Blaser, but the thought of eating a $1500 R8 professional stock, and a $850 T-5A if things went south is scary.

Reactions: chase723
Undoubtably, there's a number of ways to skin this cat. A barrel extension will certainly work, but there the issue becomes ensuring its safe and insurable. Product liability insurance is a very real and expensive cost that has to be factored into stuff.

If your a one-man shop with an LLC your assets are likely pretty small. Shops like mine will inspire you to err to caution.

I am with Chad!

Source barrels where you can, but asking a regular gunsmith dude to stick his financial neck out is pretty rough.

This is not correct. You still need a donor R8 Professional receiver. Perhaps you‘re thinking of the AKILA chassis/receiver?

My memory might be misleading me but when I was on the launch of the GRS Ragnarok model that was one of the benefits that it was pre installed; the other models (that are halfway the price) do not have the receiver.

I will double check with the sales guy just so I don’t spread any false rumors :)

My memory might be misleading me but when I was on the launch of the GRS Ragnarok model that was one of the benefits that it was pre installed; the other models (that are halfway the price) do not have the receiver.

I will double check with the sales guy just so I don’t spread any false rumors :)

No you need to buy a $1500 R8 pro and gut it to make it work.

Reactions: Pinch_NO
Ps sorry for Necro post! Just thought it would be of interest for some.
I have a r8 in a grs sporter stock, pried out the reciever block and modified a mcmillan tpr stock i had laying around. The biggest problem i encountered was, width the reciver block i 42mm wide. And the rear action screw. Would love to modify a mcmillan a3 or a5 type but the amount of epoxy you need to add to the rear of the tang to get the reciver far enough to the rear, is making it difficult to look good.

btw you can buy barrel extensions for r8 barrels, at least here in Norway! I have a lilja 6.5-06 and a Shilen 6br barrel on mine. 20220522_082937.jpgreceived_742935463540952.jpegreceived_389582256399055.jpeg

Reactions: Bravo6 and huntnh