• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blaser tac 2 or rem 700 target/tactical

Johnj218

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Hey all! I need your help. Here's the deal... I've been saving my pennies for a sig blaser tactical 2 in 338. I shot one about a year ago and loved it!! However; the other day I stumbled across a Remington 700 target/tactical in 338 (bell and Carlson stock). Now I'm torn mainly due to price. The rem is for sale for $1250. That seems like a great deal! So, do I go for the rem at a good price or hold out for tac 2?? Help!!

John

Re: Blaser tac 2 or rem 700 target/tactical

what previous shooting experience do you have? if u are a beginner, 338 is not the way to go.

I'd ditch the Blaser no matter what- a friend of mine had one and it would not hold MOA with several types of factory ammo. He talked to Sig (the American Distributor for the Blaser Tactical rifles, BlaserUSA handles all the other models) and they said there was no guarantee and they'd charge him for ammo & time to take a look at it.

Honestly, the best bang for you buck in 338 right now is probably a TRG42. Check them out at Euro Optic.

I have been a competitive shooter in 3 gun and idpa and recently (1 1/2 year) started shooting f class matches. Beyond that, I have a law enforcement background. I'm not the most experienced precision shooter, but I won't disgrace the rifle I'm behind either. The cost is not my ultimate factor, just seemed like the rem might be a great deal for the money!

I have to agree the TRG is as gooad as any out there and better than most (proably the best IMO). However you first need to be honest with your self and determine if you really need the 338. If you are shooting under 1500 yds I dont think you need the LM. You could get a 243, one of the 6.5 calibers, or even better a 7mm like the 284 (long action required) and do very well at that distance and at the same time make yourself a better shooter b/c they require you to understand wind more than the LM. You will save a good bit of change just in ammo, probably enough for a second barrel (or damn close) over the life of a barrel if you go with a 243 or 6.5 cal. Just food for thought. I too think the large magnums are cool but I would much rather take a slightly less capable caliber to distance, its just more satisfying to me.

looks like there is a new chassis coming our for the Tac 2:

SigTac2.png

Buy the Blaser, you will not loose money on it like the Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Dave Funk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the Blaser, you will not loose money on it like the Remington. </div></div>

This isn't true at all. My buddy had a Tactical 2 and could not sell it used (absolutely no used market for a Blaser Tactical rifle), ended up taking a $1500 loss on a $4k rifle just to rid himself of it. Saw an R93 tactical (precursor to the Tactical and LRS 2) in a shop for $1500; it sat there for about six months on consignment before the owner gave up on it.

Hmmmm, I recently sold my LRS-1 (308Win) for a reasonable price on GunBroker in 3 weeks. Since they are not as popular as a Remington 700, you have to provide lots of information about the LRS before the sale. If you allow a gun shop to sell it on consignment without the information, it won't sell because they don't know squat.