• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blasted Thunderstorm

All that crap passed me by. Mostly got some wet streets. We have tornados in my town. Last one several years ago passed a mile north of me and twisted the RT A/C units at the new-ish high school and then hit some houses on that the same road. We still have T-shirts that people sold to raise money for relief.

It was a shitty night for sure. Two tornados hit Jackson Parish. No deaths (reported yet) but lots of damage. Got the generator running but those fine Lineman at Entergy got the power restored fairly early. Nice little wicked storm at 3:AM. Forget sleeping late, tornado warning at 5:30. Fortunately for me but not for others it was well north of our parish. No damage here excepting one large branch that missed our home. (And a lot of missed sleep)

Addendum, we just made FOX national news. One of our Tornados Pictured.

Last edited:
Arctic front on Christmas weekend, with average temps in the 0 range, and then a sudden warmup with a temp difference of 70-80 degrees in some places. THAT will create some really, really impressive supercells, and I mean storms so epic that they will seem like they belong more on the shadow zone of a tidally locked terran planet around a M class star than our own Earth. Glad yall safe out there. The feeds from Youtube showed that all of the active storm chasing channels, including Pecos Hank, Basehunters, Reed Timmer, etc., were all out and about this week looking for action and they found plenty of it. Impressive for December and January.

I had no idea how loud lightning could be until a tree 20 feet from my house got struck. Shook my whole house, splintered the shit out of the tree. I was picking up stuff off the front lawn for days.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
I had no idea how loud lightning could be until a tree 20 feet from my house got struck. Shook my whole house, splintered the shit out of the tree. I was picking up stuff off the front lawn for days.
You'll like this story.
Storm came out of nowhere....
I was 14 delivering newspapers when a bolt of lightning hit the tree I was near.

Not even sure I really heard it, just a big flash that shook me - I instantly shit my pants. complete loss of body control..

just as finished typing the post above, we got a tornado warning. Talk about ruining my evening. First no power and then a tornado. Fortunately so far no damage and the warning has been cancelled. But, boy is the rain falling.

Yep, I was a little nervous yesterday. Several tornados around, with lots of rain and wind.
Our bad storm hit at 3:30 this morning. I was a little skeered laying in the bed, listening to the wind, rain and hail. The wife slept through it. 😄

Lighting hit a tree 100 yard from the house. Loudest noise I ever heard. Traveled to the house, blew the sprinkler control box off the wall, damaged some computers and cracked my foundation. I had to show the adjuster internet articles about lightning cracking foundations for it to get covered. He didn't believe it was possible from 100 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 04JRB
You'll like this story.
Storm came out of nowhere....
I was 14 delivering newspapers when a bolt of lightning hit the tree I was near.

Not even sure I really heard it, just a big flash that shook me - I instantly shit my pants. complete loss of body control..

It definitely made me freeze in place for a second. It struck a branch off a huge tree, the trunk was about 5 foot diameter. It flung bark and wedges of wood 50+ feet. some of the chucks were like fresh split fire wood in size, and bark everywhere. It ended up killing the tree, sombitch was so big it cost 15k to have it taken down. It would have been 20k if they hauled the wood away. If that tree fell, it was a house killer and it was very close to the house.

Ends up it was a cotton wood and I cant freaking give it away, lol.
Lighting hit a tree 100 yard from the house. Loudest noise I ever heard. Traveled to the house, blew the sprinkler control box off the wall, damaged some computers and cracked my foundation. I had to show the adjuster internet articles about lightning cracking foundations for it to get covered. He didn't believe it was possible from 100 yards.

Dang, the strike at my place was much closer to my house than yours but I dint have any other issues other than cleaning up the splinters and bark all over the lawn (and eventually removing the tree). Oh, and changing my shorts, lol. I cant lie and say it didn't scare the shit out of me. It may have been the most sudden and loud / bright (it was night) thing I ever experienced.

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG
It definitely made me freeze in place for a second. It struck a branch off a huge tree, the trunk was about 5 foot diameter. It flung bark and wedges of wood 50+ feet. some of the chucks were like fresh split fire wood in size, and bark everywhere. It ended up killing the tree, sombitch was so big it cost 15k to have it taken down. It would have been 20k if they hauled the wood away. If that tree fell, it was a house killer and it was very close to the house.

Ends up it was a cotton wood and I cant freaking give it away, lol.

Dang, the strike at my place was much closer to my house than yours but I dint have any other issues other than cleaning up the splinters and bark all over the lawn (and eventually removing the tree). Oh, and changing my shorts, lol. I cant lie and say it didn't scare the shit out of me. It may have been the most sudden and loud / bright (it was night) thing I ever experienced.

Only good thing for cottonwood is to mix it in with pine or fir in the outside fire pit. It's hard to get it hot enough to burn well, and burns dirty when it's too cold. Stretches the good wood supply.

Passed some of the storm damage this morning. A half mile above and below the damage, one could never tell there ever was a storm.

At the damage area, on a road i have driven literally thousand’s of times, it was so bad, I could not make out what was there, it was like, an area roughly a quarter to half mile wide and been leveled flat and replaced with total destruction. Literally, I could not recognize where i was on that road.

A mobile home was not just destroyed, it was smashed to pieces. Seen more storm damage than I care to remember (rode out Typhoon Hester as she made landfall in Vietnam. As well as working and visiting other Hurricanes and a tornado or two)

C869489C-32C8-48A3-959D-5C0EB4F8F2AE.jpeg

Only good thing for cottonwood is to mix it in with pine or fir in the outside fire pit. It's hard to get it hot enough to burn well, and burns dirty when it's too cold. Stretches the good wood supply.

That is what I have been doing with it, small campfires at the house. I literally couldnt get any of the 5 people I know that burn wood to heat their homes to take it. Being in Michigan, with our winters, I normally have people scramble to come get the walnut, oak, etc.,

I have about 3 cords of that cotton wood, and about 10 slabs 18-24 inches thick and about 5 foot diameter that I cant even move without equipment, lol.