• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BLC/2 in AR 15

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
This has probably been beat to death here some time or another and I did try the search function but am no computer guru.
I have some BLC/2 that works good in my bolt rifle but was wondering about using it for an AR 15.
Can one of you enlighten me?
I would be using it for plinking/practice rounds with 55-70 grain bullets. I have 1-8 twist bbl.
I have other powders to use that I know work well but thought this might be worth a try as I have several lbs. of it.
Thank you for your input. Regards, FM

I use BL-C2 for my .223 and I have had no problems what so ever in my rounds. I run 55 grain bullets and I run about middle of the road charges on my rounds so whatever the max and the minimum are that the book recommends I just divide it in half and run that and it works pretty good for me. I think as long as you follow the recommended powder charges for whatever particular grain that you are using I think it will suffice especially if you are only using it for plinking rounds. I have also used them in my .308 as a trial run and they seem to work pretty good for that as well. Another type of powder that is fairly new to the market is by Hodgdon and it is called CFE 223 and they also make one for the pistol called CFE PISTOL. It is suppose to keep carbon from building up in your rifle and cutting down your cleaning time. From what I have been hearing it is a really good powder. It is specifically designed for the 223 but I have talked to several people who have ran it for there 308 and have put some pretty impressive groups on paper not exactly sure what yards they were testing at but they were pretty impressed with it. I have a jug of it that I just got and as soon as I can get some free time I plan on running some performance tests with my AR and my 308. I hope this helps you out. I am by no means an expert so it doesn't hurt get other peoples opinions as well.

I loaded up 70 rds. 55 gr BULLET and stayed around 25.5 -26.7.
It shoots 26.5 like a dream.
I kept everything in the black for 20 rds. except for two "fliers" that you know you did it, not the rifle, not the round.
I am sure I will be loading that again .
Thanks for your input. Regards, FM

An in-law of mine uses BL-C(2) exclusively for 223/556. His pet load for 55 grain projectiles is 26.2gr, LC brass, CCI primers. Reduce by 10% and work your way up of course

BL-c(2) comes from the military powder called WC846. That powder has a patent allowing a Max level of CaCO of 0.5%. After 3 years of testing, and several hundred thousands of rounds fired, Frankford arsenal found SOME lots that were near Max; COULD cause some M16's gas tubes an issue. So Olin narrowed the allowable CaCO to .25%, THAT lower spec for an acid neutralizer was called WC844 for inventory purposes. WC844 you know as H335.

Darkker, thank you, that is interesting.
Unfortunately, in my area powder is hard to come by without a long drive.
I have BLc and 4895 so thought I would give it a go. I don't plan to shoot a lot of it.
How many rounds would you need to fire for a gas tube problem to come up? Regards, FM

Took Frankford a few years of testing.
Moral of the story is it's irrelevant if you just look at the gas tube. The endurance testing was focused on NOT cleaning it.

Have shot a few thousand SS109 bullets loaded over BL-C(2) suprising accuracy was my only issue. Noticed no particular increase in fouling.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I get great accuracy out of my ar15 with the following:
Win brass
7.5 rem primer
25g of blc2
55g montana gold projectile

Powder meters well.