• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blew Primer out on a starter load...

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Was developing some loads for my 300 BLK & blew a primer out and this was on a starter load (17.8 gr. of AA1680 under a 155 gr. BTHP). Gun functioned. Noticed blown primer when I pulled brass out of the catcher. Case is carboned up on the back face but otherwise looks OK. I am guessing a loose primer pocket? The rest of the loads shot fine. Not to say I could have not made a mistake on that cartridge, but I fairly careful and weigh all charges.

Comments?

Is a good reason to pay attention to the feel when seating primers. Something that felt abnormally easy or hard to seat needs to be set aside and examined.

Don't know. As I said, I'm fairly careful in my reloading. If primer is easy or tight, I inspect. Obviously I missed something. Do not believe that it was a dangerous situation, but still a little concerned.