• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blurred Vision in Closed Eye

Btwnbeats

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
When I shoot my rifle, and I've kept my off-eye closed for a few shots, my vision gets really blurry and even see double in that eye after several shots. It can sometimes be a matter of a couple of hours before it goes back to any semblance of normalcy. Anyone else deal with this?

How long has it been going on? What are you shooting and how much do you shoot. I would say go see your primary doc and go see an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) asap, you are describing a serious Eye problem. Does it only happen when you are shooting? what happens if you just close that eye for a couple of minutes, does it still get blurry/double vision when not shooting?

Last edited:
Pretty normal if you're up there in age. The lens loses elasticity as we get older. I hate it when I have to use my left eye for the spotting scope and all I see is a blurry image, and then back to the scope with my now-blurry right eye. It sure doesn't help in reading mirage! I really wish I could get used to keeping both eyes open.

Still, though, hours is a bit long, and if you're a yung'un then maybe you do have a problem with which to deal.

Keep both eyes open and cover your non-shooting eye with a blinder or scotch tape on the lens of your shooting glasses on that side.

Agree with both eyes open. I try to limit how much time I'm looking through any optic whether it be spotter or scope. Give your eyes a break periodically. My 53 year old peepers wear out pretty quick even looking through really nice glass.