• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bog Death Grip Gun Tripod is it good value ?

NDAR15MAN

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2011
ND, IL, IA,
I have the OLDER style Bog Pod Tripod. It has a YOKE I place my coyote guns in ( both AR15 and Bolt guns ).
I have used it at night with my D760 night vision scope. It has worked well for me at night because i have a little more freedom at night if i want to take it out of the yoke and make a fast shot if coyote sneaks up behind me while calling. I am looking at the buying a tripod that will support my guns completely with out holding them.
I would use this tripod for day time hunting , target shooting long range , maybe night hunting if it out performs the yoke option on my BOG POD that i own now .
I have 5 or 6 guns I would be shooting off of this type of free standing TRIPOD. A Big heavy AR10 6.5 Creedmoore with big Sightron 10-50x60 scope , I would say loaded would be in the 15 pound range. My other AR15 and Bolt guns our in the 8 to 10 pounds. Some time in the next few years I would like to retire because of both knees being replaced.
QUESTION..... Any one here own or used the BOG POD DEATH GRIP MODEL on the market ? I would like a review and your thoughts on this tripod. They are on sale for 179.99 at MIDWAY USA this week. I was wondering if i would be disappointing in buying one or bight the bullet and go with one of the higher dollar brands talked about here on Sniper Hide ? With the environment we are in now with not knowing if we all have a job from one day to the next I want to make the right buy . look forward to your thoughts. thanks. Marty

I have one I keep next to my back door for quick deployment when i see something going after the chickens. It is def a cheap tripod which I abuse. It holds my rifle fine, and keeps it steady just enough for me to make a good clean shot, but it’s def not field worthy in my mind. Just simply not sturdy enough.

I’ve dropped it and broken the mount tightening handle. Also the motion of the head is very eh, and it’s either really right or too loose.

it works for my application but definitely not one I’d use for a surgical shot.

Last edited:
For the money, they’re a good option. I sell them for $150 shipped.

Are their better tripods and clamps? You bet. But for starting out and on a budget, the Bog pod is pretty slick.

I would pass. There are a lot of great options in tripods, that is the area I think we will see the most advancements coming in the next year.

I would pass. There are a lot of great options in tripods, that is the area I think we will see the most advancements coming in the next year.

out of curiosity what are some advancements you think will be happening compared to what a company like what RRS puts out currently? just an interesting topic really

out of curiosity what are some advancements you think will be happening compared to what a company like what RRS puts out currently? just an interesting topic really
Tripod shooting is gaining in popularity so more companies like Colorado Tripod Co. will be adding products to the market. I'm not saying anybody is going to be making a better product the RRS but maybe an American Made product at a better price might be coming along.

It wasn't that long ago a Hog Saddle and a Manfrotto tripod was the top of the food chain. Look at bipods. 3-4 years ago you had Atlas and Harris, now you have multiple reputable companies making bipods, who know what will be coming out next.

I'm not sure it is even possible but think if you had a tripod that had some kind of notched leg to allow you to change heights quickly and accurately, you trying to tell me competition shooters and hunters would be throwing cash at something like that, just an idea, who knows?

Reactions: 1moaoff
Tripod shooting is gaining in popularity so more companies like Colorado Tripod Co. will be adding products to the market. I'm not saying anybody is going to be making a better product the RRS but maybe an American Made product at a better price might be coming along.

It wasn't that long ago a Hog Saddle and a Manfrotto tripod was the top of the food chain. Look at bipods. 3-4 years ago you had Atlas and Harris, now you have multiple reputable companies making bipods, who know what will be coming out next.

I'm not sure it is even possible but think if you had a tripod that had some kind of notched leg to allow you to change heights quickly and accurately, you trying to tell me competition shooters and hunters would be throwing cash at something like that, just an idea, who knows?
Please be lightly spring loaded or drop free!!!

Reactions: FN-Whitney
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Bog Pod Death Grip is marginal. I think I better go with a better quality. My rifles are 8 to 15 pounds each loaded. MD

Been looking at these also and for someone that never competes and just gopher/varmint hunts I thought it'd be good but what is the other options for under $200?

Been looking at these also and for someone that never competes and just gopher/varmint hunts I thought it'd be good but what is the other options for under $200?

Neewer 2-in-1 Carbon Fiber Camera... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V47TZXW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I went with this one and have been happy with it for field use. It’s light and sturdy enough for the money. For reference, I recently took a skunk at a little less than 200 yards standing. It comes with a cheap ball head and arca clamp, even if you add an arca plate adapter you’re all in for $150.

I’ve recently added a hog saddle so I can use my hunting bolt guns as well, not just my AR with the arca adapter.

I used a big death grip not to long ago. Seem to work decent. I don’t shoot much prs so don’t see the reason to spend 500+ on a tripod. My 300 win is 13 pound and sat in it pretty stable. The Barrett m107 was a bit of a challenge for it but I works.
E5FA102B-6A71-40D1-9D1F-BED195BB8CA5.jpeg

I bought one thinking it would work for p-dogs and big game. I even packed it on short stalks for elk. The head it not adjustable for cant, so you need to dick around getting the gun level by adjusting the legs, or leave it loose in the saddle. I'll be upgrading soon.

I bought a carbon fiber one tonight and if needed I can add the ball head later. Saw pics of a guy who did it on a Midway USA review. Seems easy enough.

The carbon one isn't bad.

My biggest gripe is the lack of adjustability in the saddle, and if your forend isn't flat clamping it flat is a nightmare.

I picked up a new one on ebay for 129. I love it. Ive tried an AR10, rem 700 and my wifes crossbow. all held firm and stable. Yeah, its not as fancy as some but i also wont be heart broken if i break it or lose it.

So how does Bog compare to shadow tech/ hog tripod setups?
I really need something for squirrel shooting, and eventually competing. I don’t know if I could justify a RRS setup when I haven’t taken a dedicated long range class yet.