• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BOG POD death grip tripod ?

DevinL

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2020
not sure if the right area but im looking for thoughts on BOG POD geath grip tripod thanks

what are you hoping to use it for? The head allows you to tilt and swivel but can not cant. so you would have to have the legs set perfectly level if you are trying to do long range and small targets. Coyotes and deer 300 or less it should work fine. 1 MOA targets at 6 hundred a slight cant will mess you up.

I have both a Bogpod Death Grip, original Bogpod with the rifle saddle and I have a Feisol 40plus pound professional video head, and I put it on a Manfrotto Bogen tripod (that is about 10 years old) with a Pig Saddle it is 10 times more stiff (not that I have a way to officially measure it other than through accuracy) the set up my original Bogpod Death Grip had.

It is a nice set up for a hide that would allow you to shoot to 200-300 yards on a deer. Beyond that it is pretty useless.

hunt deer/elk plus range time reaching out as far as get comfortable 300 + would be nice

I have a carbon fiber version of the Bogpod Death Grip. I like it and would recommend getting the carbon fiber version over the aluminum version. The aluminum versions have problems opening and closing if you get a dent in the legs. One more thing I wish they did have was a cant feature. You can still level it with the legs though and mine has a bubble level to help. If you are going to use it for target shooting it would be great since you can lock everything down so it's almost like shooting from a sled. If you are going to be hunting from a blind it does become hard to move around if a deer comes out where you are not expecting. Other than a few small things I love mine.

Reactions: DevinL
I bought the aluminum and carbon fiber version from cabelas when they were on sale to check them out. Took the aluminum back. It's pretty nice for what it is, but not going to compare to a high end tripod.

Reactions: DevinL
yea really dont want to ffork out 600$ if i dont have to up for suggestions

I was looking at tripods to mount a Labradar/spotting scope/possibly a rifle. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices of the Tier 1 tripods.

Most people said the best bang for the buck was the BOG Deathgrip with a ball head and adapter kit you can purchase off another Hide member here.

I bought the carbon fiber one and installed the adapter and ball head. Good comms and quick shipping from @STI_1911_Guy. It takes A LOT of weight off the unit. I mounted up the Labradar and my RPR. The Labradar weighs nothing. My RPR is 6.5 CM and it is heavy. It mounted up solid but I also was not shooting the gun.

For now this will work well for me but I can also understand the benefits the more expensive units have.

Two buddies and I went to NM to hunt antelope last week - guide carried a BOG Deathgrip and we used it standing to harvest antelope. It works - certainly not as nice as the tripods I see at PRS matches but it works.

The others are spot on. I bought the CF version for my son last year to hunt coyotes with, he's only 10 and the yote rifles are too heavy for him to work on the monopod. For a cheap alternative to the said high end pods, it's great. However it has a few things that could be better.
It holds my 12lb rifle tight, and I typically leave it in the grip over night so it's ready to go when there are yotes in my field. But the head isn't the smoothest operating. I love the positive locking mechanisms on the legs though. I've never been a fan of the twist lock style, just a matter of opinion... In the winter time with frozen fingers and hands, I want to know I'm locked in! Also, even in the CF configuration, it's still on the heavy side at over 7 lbs...
Weight means alot when I'm already carrying two rifles and my call bag.
Would I buy another if this one mysteriously breaks? Yes and no. I would see what a couple hundred more would get me, but if I couldn't find what I was looking for, I would definitely pick up another.
Great for the money, but there are better options at a price.
For the money in not really aware of anything else like it