• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BOHICA, MidWest: Officer Acquitted in Philando Castile Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked to be parallel to the door and stuck his face right in there. I don't mean to overstep my bounds, but that looked pretty fucked.

At 1:30 Castille hands Yanez his license. So the prosecution's argument that he was reaching for his wallet is clearly debunked...he was reaching for his gun.

At 1:30 Castille hands Yanez his license. So the prosecution's argument that he was reaching for his wallet is clearly debunked...he was reaching for his gun.

It's been said that that was registration and insurance.

It's been said that that was registration and insurance.

I'll have to assume that by registration you mean permit to carry card which is what we have in MN. Which is kept with your id in your wallet. So the argument was made that he was reaching for his wallet, that's not true if he already produced his id and handed it over. Also, you can see Castille's gun in the girlfriend's video. It's pretty obvious Yanez saw that he was reaching for it after seeing this video.

Let me be clear. I'm not advocating that Yanez should have shot him. But the prosecution had to prove the charges "beyond reasonable doubt". After this video being released, it's clear that they could not do that because it's obvious that Yanez thought a gun was coming out. That's not even debatable, it's right there on video.

I'll have to assume that by registration you mean permit to carry card which is what we have in MN. Which is kept with your id in your wallet. So the argument was made that he was reaching for his wallet, that's not true if he already produced his id and handed it over. Also, you can see Castille's gun in the girlfriend's video. It's pretty obvious Yanez saw that he was reaching for it after seeing this video.

Let me be clear. I'm not advocating that Yanez should have shot him. But the prosecution had to prove the charges "beyond reasonable doubt". After this video being released, it's clear that they could not do that because it's obvious that Yanez thought a gun was coming out. That's not even debatable, it's right there on video.

Vehicle registration and insurance card are not normally kept in ones wallet.

And yes in the video she posted originally it seemed like the gun was a zit he couldn't keep his fingers off of.

Last edited:
Vehicle registration and insurance card are nit normally kept in ones wallet.

And yes in the video she posted originally it seemed like the gun was a zit he couldn't keep his fingers off of.

There is no vehicle registration to carry in MN. As far as proof of insurance, where would you keep it? If you say in the glovebox or some other storage space that makes sense but he wasn't reaching for those places, he was reaching in his pants pocket that had a gun in it.

Wtf no vehicle registration. How does that work. The vehicle/plates are registered to a owner. Also no yearly tax/fee?

When i get pulled over. I normally have my registration and insurance along with wallet in my hand before they get to the window.

I can not say for sure the perp was going to pull his gun on the officer but it obvious he couldn't keeps his fingers away from it or follow orders.

The officer did not follow a couple procedures that i know the LEO around here always follow.

Wtf no vehicle registration. How does that work. The vehicle/plates are registered to a owner. Also no yearly tax/fee?

When i get pulled over. I normally have my registration and insurance along with wallet in my hand before they get to the window.

I can not say for sure the perp was going to pull his gun on the officer but it obvious he couldn't keeps his fingers away from it or follow orders.

The officer did not follow a couple procedures that i know the LEO around here always follow.

In MN the plates are registered to the car, not the driver. That's why hardly anyone here gets personalized plates because when you sell the car, the plates stay with the car. But your name is tied to them through the DMV so your name does show up when the plates are ran. Yes there is a yearly tax paid, and you get a new sticker each year for your plate that shows the tax was paid. But there is no kind of registration paper that is carried. When you are stopped in MN you are asked to produce license and proof of insurance.

Agreed, he was stoned so it's likely he was so high he couldn't process what was happening. Maybe he was digging for his permit to carry card, who knows. But the video clearly shows that officer Yanez saw him digging around where the gun was and thought he was drawing a gun. This is not even debatable, it's right there. That's why the jury had to acquit. The burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt lies on the prosecution and this video makes that impossible.

Also agreed, Castille matched the description (perfectly) of an armed robber. This stop should have been a high risk stop where backup is called, then the occupants are removed by verbal commands (under gunpoint) without approaching vehicle, then told to get on pavement face down while one officer walks in to cuff them. That was the first mistake.

Holy shit, I will not interact with the police anymore, they are too fkn jumpy, no upside to interacting with the police, at all. Thanks for that Video.

Last edited:
WTF your going to ignore some one who stated that the LEO seemed jittery, and also come out and say this is another LEO bashing thread. What a hypocrite, seriously did the words you just put forth not go through your brain as you let them loose.

You state valid reasons as to why the situation may have happened given current policing polices and standards, your last 2 paragraphs support Veer's point.

We are not (most of us anyway) bashing LEO as a whole group in this thread. We are talking about one officer and a situation involving that officer. I actually take a huge amount of offense to the idea that just because someone puts a uniform on they are some how superior in every way to me and everyone else. I know quite a few LEO and you know what they are human beings, and cover the whole facet of society. Some are the "salt of the earth" and some are douche bags. If you remove the badge and uniform they would be the same people.

I would not and do not support any group being covered with a blanket statement. All LEO suck, all teachers suck, all mechanics are crooks etc... but one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch and the bad apples need to be sent packing.

If a Doctor had botched a dozen back surgeries and left 10 paralyzed (local story few years ago) should he keep his license? Should the medical board defend him? Then why should a LEO get a free pass in life?

I pushed my daughter hard in school and when she wanted to give up at times she would ask me, why does it matter. My answer, no one wants a C doctor, no one wants a C engineer, no one wants a C mechanic. Well I don't want a C officer. I want officers who are actually what you believe them to be and that is A+ people.

How am I a hypocrite?

I'm not putting them on ignore for saying he looked jumpy. It's the "Murder committed by a guy in blue" comments that show me what braindead idiots they are. That's why they're on ignore. Comments like that are fucking absurd. No cop suits up for the day thinking, "hmm...think I'll cap me a minority today for the fun of an IA investigation, possible firing, possible criminal charges and jail time."

Does shit happen, you bet. Are there jumpy snowflakes in uniform these days, I'm sure of it. So I'd be cool as a frozen cucumber if I get contacted. Do what you're told, even if the cop is in the wrong. Court is where you right an injustice, not the side of a road.

As for cops getting a free pass, again...get real. There's more scrutiny and consequences to doing the job CORRECTLY, let alone fucking up, than there's ever been before. If you screw up as a cop, you can go to jail. You can lose your job. Best case scenario you take a hefty internal punishment...60 days no pay is pretty common in my department these days.

For Fucks sake look at Ferguson. That kid did nothing wrong. He shot a GIANT "kid" trying to disarm him who'd already broken the bones in his face using his bare hands. After committing a strong arm robbery. Did nothing wrong and still got forced out of a job and no department will ever rehire him because of the controversy. What other job on planet Earth do you see that happening in?

How many insurance agents you know who screw up and lose 25% of their salary for a year? How many electricians do a shitty job and have the district attorney filing charges against them? How many lawyers do you know who get themselves a DUI a lose their job and license/certification over it?

You guys see a handful of cases a year where something goes bad, maybe the cops fault, maybe not. If the cop isn't imprisoned it's some kind of conspiracy to cover for them. I see cops getting slammed on a regular basis for doing nothing wrong. I see criminals skate completely on felony assaults against cops. All because of how it will look in a courtroom.

Which brings me full circle to my prior point. Armchair quarterbacks plain don't know wtf they're talking about. They haven't been there, haven't seen it, experienced it, lived with the dangers and consequences of being thrust into rapidly evolving scenarios and forced to make split second decisions to create a solution. You can watch all the videos you want... doesn't make you an expert or buy you experience or credibility.

It's not a pretty job. It doesn't look good even when it's done 100% correctly, legally, and by the book. These retards watch a video ten times and then criticize the guy who watched it unfold before him once, full speed, no replay, no slow motion. At the end of the day, I'm coming home to my wife. If you think I'm going to risk my life beyond necessity to give you the benefit of the doubt, think again. Everybody has a different mental line in the sand. Cross mine and you take your life in your own hands.

Or... you could just do wtf you're told and complain/sue/whatever later. If your life is worth standing on your principles have at it. But don't bitch if it doesn't pan out the way you wanted.

How many insurance agents you know who screw up and lose 25% of their salary for a year? How many electricians do a shitty job and have the district attorney filing charges against them? How many lawyers do you know who get themselves a DUI a lose their job and license/certification over it?

You're off the rails on this one Lawn, that's some serious nonsense.

A comparison between anyone granted police powers, and attorneys, insurance agents or electricians is beyond silly.

The vast number differences are so numerous, and so obvious, that it doesn't require anything else to be said.

You're off the rails on this one Lawn, that's some serious nonsense.

A comparison between anyone granted police powers, and attorneys, insurance agents or electricians is beyond silly.

The vast number differences are so numerous, and so obvious, that it doesn't require anything else to be said.

Maybe you missed the point? Several people are suggesting cops constantly get a pass for mistakes, fatal or otherwise to the citizen involved. In my experience, there's more scrutiny, not less. The penalties are also stiffer. I have seen people whomped to the tune of about 10k in lost wages for off duty traffic violations violations never proven in court.

As an example, one guy wound up with a huge suspension and his only violation was a careless driving ticket. Do you know any dentists that lose 25% of their yearly wages for a traffic violation? One not related to their profession in any way?

You say it's a poor analogy, I say it highlights the lack of these "passes" cops everywhere are apparently getting. If anything they're hammered harder BECAUSE they're cops. Even a whiff of something never proven brings a hefty smack on the beak.

Last edited:
Several people are suggesting cops constantly get a pass for mistakes, fatal or otherwise to the citizen involved.

Lawn, I understand the sensitivity of those of you who're on the job to being second guessed every damn step of the way by the public when things go bad, but none of that is news to anyone in LE. You will be second guessed when so much authority and power is vested in you, and it's NEVER going to change.

The details matter, and this MN shooting ought to piss EVERY one of us off, regardless if you're in LE or not. In NY State, if you shot someone in the same manner that the officer in MN did, you most certainly not be afforded such a minor charge. Most DAs in NY would BBQ your ass and not think a second about it. "Passes" are reality, we all know it, so I'm not sure why you're trying to suggest otherwise.

Chief of Police local to me covered up his addict son's criminal activity on more than one occasion with multiple get out of jail free cards, until an injured party wouldn't look the other way. Did I mention that his wife also worked for the Dept. That kind of crap happens everywhere all over America, regardless of where you live.

Lawn, I understand the sensitivity of those of you who're on the job to being second guessed every damn step of the way by the public when things go bad, but none of that is news to anyone in LE. You will be second guessed when so much authority and power is vested in you, and it's NEVER going to change.

The details matter, and this MN shooting ought to piss EVERY one of us off, regardless if you're in LE or not. In NY State, if you shot someone in the same manner that the officer in MN did, you most certainly not be afforded such a minor charge. Most DAs in NY would BBQ your ass and not think a second about it. "Passes" are reality, we all know it, so I'm not sure why you're trying to suggest otherwise.

Chief of Police local to me covered up his addict son's criminal activity on more than one occasion with multiple get out of jail free cards, until an injured party wouldn't look the other way. Did I mention that his wife also worked for the Dept. That kind of crap happens everywhere all over America, regardless of where you live.

That's a great point and highlights another misconception. People think corruption in LE is the guy writing tickets or the cop who doesn't get criminally charged after a shooting. In reality it's not a high bar to clear. Especially with the nervous snowflake generation of cops we're starting to see.

Proving he wasn't actually scared out of his mind and using force appropriately is difficult. If you really want to stamp out some LE corruption start looking at management. Nepotism and favors among command are where you see the dirt moving around...like your example of the chief covering for his dirtbag kid.

The simple fact is, that's typically the only time you'll see it... I promise if I step on my dick and get sued or charged, no command/chief/whatever is going to be pulling strings for me. I'm nobody and don't have the pull. Same as most cops, it's not the little guy. You want to go after the big fish...be my guest I'll hold the door. The little guy could use some slack these days.

"The BCA case file includes a conversation caught on a squad microphone which took place between Yanez and St. Anthony Police Officer Tressa Sunde within minutes of the shooting. That interview can be heard at the 8:10 mark of the dashcam video below. (Warning: Graphic video.)

Yanez was recorded saying to Sunde: “[Castile] was sitting in the car, seat belted. I told him, can I see your license. And then, he told me he had a firearm. I told him not to reach for it and (sigh) when he went down to grab, I told him not to reach for it (clears throat) and then he kept it right there, and I told him to take his hands off of it, and then he (sigh) he had his, his grip a lot wider than a wallet.”

Later in the same conversation, Yanez went on to say, “And I don’t know where the gun was, he didn’t tell me where the fucking gun was, and then it was just getting hinky, he gave, he was just staring ahead, and then I was getting fucking nervous, and then I told him, I know I fucking told him to get his fucking hand off his gun.""

https://youtu.be/z1ac7Zblqyk?t=8m10s

"if he has the, the guts and audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five-year-old girl and risk her lungs and her life by giving her secondhand smoke . . . what care does he give about me.”

Yes, Yanez actually said, “if he has the, the guts and audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five-year-old girl and risk her lungs and her life by giving her secondhand smoke . . . what care does he give about me.” While it’s an explanation for his fear, it’s not remotely reasonable.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...easonable-fear

Status
Not open for further replies.