• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt 223 ammo q

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
I just had a .223 built and the components are all their but it’s gonna ride around in the pickup and I’m sure I’m going to lose lots of brass and shoot it too often, I do reload but I don’t really want to for this one unless it comes to that. I’m wanting to find some factory ammo to try and then buy bulk of obviously what it prefers. If any of y’all have went this route or have been shooting factory match 223 ammo let me know what yours likes, barrel is a Brux 1:7 on an impact action.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
They group right around 3/8" to 3/4" - but, on a slow day - I checked the concentricity of every one of them, and tweeked them so they had no more than .002" TIR. They come in boxes of 50, and I believe I paid $26.95 per box. But, that was a while back. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Smokin7s
Bump any other brands I should try working well for y’all?

They group right around 3/8" to 3/4" - but, on a slow day - I checked the concentricity of every one of them, and tweeked them so they had no more than .002" TIR. They come in boxes of 50, and I believe I paid $26.95 per box. But, that was a while back. Hope this helps.
I think they are over $1 per round right now right?

Factory 223 ammo is all centered around AR mag length, you really need to load to take advantage of what that rifle is capable of. Otherwise you might as well have just bought a precision AR.

I have a Black Ops with a 1:8 Brux barrel, shooting both FGMM 69 & 77gr, I get a little better results with the 77gr, I tried Hornady Match 75gr with good results too.

Hornady BLACK 75 BTHP
Hornady Match 73 ELDM
Fiocchi Match 77 SMK
Hornady Superformance in any of their 70+ grain weight range.

I've also used Tulammo with a 77 grain bullet that shoots super accurate out of my gun.

I have a Black Ops with a 1:8 Brux barrel, shooting both FGMM 69 & 77gr, I get a little better results with the 77gr, I tried Hornady Match 75gr with good results too.
Just ordered both of those fgmm!

80 SMKs. Finding them is the hard part.

Attachments

• 7A93C334-E0C4-47F5-80EA-343EA8402807.jpeg
    7A93C334-E0C4-47F5-80EA-343EA8402807.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for your input Jimmy I wasn’t asking for advice on rifle selection
What he’s getting at is you won’t see the full potential of your rifle unless you load for it. Factory ammo won’t even come close.

What he’s getting at is you won’t see the full potential of your rifle unless you load for it. Factory ammo won’t even come close.
Yeah I know that for a fact as I said I hand load but I don’t want to mess with it.

You asked for ammo advice and I gave it to you by suggesting you load since there’s nothing on the market that’s ideal for a fast twist bolt gun. Sorry I said why you needed to hear and not you wanted to hear snowflake.
Dude don’t be a jackass I had it built to shoot a lot it’s not throated long and I don’t want to hand load 300 rds a month and lose brass out the door of my pickup constantly the fact that you’re still calling people snowflake tells me all I need to know about your brainpower, boomer.

1581905230890_0_target_image.jpg
shot_1581904670877.jpg
0_target_image.jpg
target_image1.jpg
shot_1581198878783.jpg

All this out of my bolt gun, all sub minute.
Make of it what you want, just sharing my results.

If it were me, I'd pick any of the 70+ grain hornady loads. Maybe even FGMM but the hornady stuff shoots good even out to distance with a much lower price tag.

Reactions: 308pirate
Now isn’t the time to be buying factory .223 ammo due to the insane cost at the moment, but if things ever normalize I have had really good luck with ppu 69gr otm ammo. I was getting sub moa out of a factory savage consistently.

Reactions: Islas82
Now isn’t the time to be buying factory .223 ammo due to the insane cost at the moment, but if things ever normalize I have had really good luck with ppu 69gr otm ammo. I was getting sub moa out of a factory savage consistently.
Yeah I posted this in June lol

I guess factory ammo really doesn't shoot that well. You haters will love this part, it is a factory savage barrel that I put on after swapping it from a 6.5 CM to a .223. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

223_Target.JPG

3 round groups used to be banned here for good reason.
Yeah I'm not a big fan either. But when I get a new rifle and different factory loads, I'll do 3 round groups first to kinda see what I can eliminate from the start if it wasn't shooting tight enough.

Edited for spellchecking

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
I guess factory ammo really doesn't shoot that well. You haters will love this part, it is a factory savage barrel that I put on after swapping it from a 6.5 CM to a .223. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 7425102
Savage has a good rep for making accurate barrels. My boy has a .308 Axis (in a Boyd's stock) that will shoot like that, (if he does his part) with FGMM and it's not even the heavy barrel version. Of course you have to take your time not to heat it up...

I’ve had good luck with 50-60 Gr vmax from black hills and Hornady. American Eagle tipped varmint is surprisingly accurate for the price also.

I have some black hills 77 smk and TMK but haven’t shot it yet.

My SAC DT conversion does this regularly with factory ammo for 5 shots. I’m a pretty terrible shot also

D6F5AE11-F5ED-4163-84B2-43ABCCCE1DD5.jpeg

Reactions: gchellin