• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action build guidance

All you have to do is remove the OEM barrel. After that, it's like swapping out a shouldered barrel on any other action.
Yep, but getting that barrel off can be quite a trick. So, OP was thinking to buy a new Tikka with one of the calibers he wants and buy a second barrel (or more) for the other caliber.

But I’ve seen too many stories, incl from my very good friend, that very often relief cuts needed to be made to get the suckers off so there goes that barrel.

I just think, as many here have pointed out to him, that there are better options for what he wants to do, right?

Yep, but getting that barrel off can be quite a trick. So, OP was thinking to buy a new Tikka with one of the calibers he wants and buy a second barrel (or more) for the other caliber.

But I’ve seen too many stories, incl from my very good friend, that very often relief cuts needed to be made to get the suckers off so there goes that barrel.

I just think, as many here have pointed out to him, that there are better options for what he wants to do, right?
Haven't removed mine yet. One thing that I have noticed is that the people that seem to have troubles removing only mention trying to torque it off not whack it. It seems like those that get them off take a hammer/ deadblow to the handle.

Recently saw this. Talks about some people's experiences. @MarinePMI says newer ones seem easier.

Reactions: Baron23
just my personal feelings I love my 6.5 creedmoor after haveing gone through 3 barrels I can't deny my 308 win is lasting longer and my first cm barrel made it to 7k rounds before the last 250 rounds it fell apart . the barrel is the replace able part but cost effective is pretty darn nice as well . the 308 has far more of a bullet selection than my cm does and it does it just as well as my cm does . best of luck with what ever you do .

JA outdoors is a source for tikka actions and parts. Also getting barrels off the newer actions is a breeze.
I really hope this is the case! I am starting a switch barrel build on my 300WM Tikka T3X (bought two years ago) to shoot 6.5mm & 7mm PRC. I'll create a post of my factory barrel removal experiences.