• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action pistol

Nodak

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2019
North Dakota
Not sure if this is the correct forum but have many here ever purchased a barreled action say like a Howa Mini 300bo and cut barrel down and used a brace to pistol it? Like a Pork Sword or Q Mini Fix. I see that Brownell featured one on a review. I called Brownells and they send the barreled actions as listed as "other"and as long as the ffl papers it as "other" your good to assemble as desired. Not sure why I want a 10" folding bolt gun but , heck, why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Howa mini BA should come to your FFL as a rifle receiver. Correct me if I’m wrong here!

You cannot legally go from rifle to pistol, only pistol to rifle. To shorten it, it’ll have to be SBR’d.

Its retarded, I know. The whole NFA should be repealed and the ATF dissolved.

Oh and bolt action pistols are cool as heck, go for it!

Brownells even did one in house. I've got too many irons in the fire already but maybe in a month or so. I'll get it done on paper 1st.

Reactions: Jeeper48
Howa mini BA should come to your FFL as a rifle receiver. Correct me if I’m wrong here!

You cannot legally go from rifle to pistol, only pistol to rifle. To shorten it, it’ll have to be SBR’d.

Its retarded, I know. The whole NFA should be repealed and the ATF dissolved.

Oh and bolt action pistols are cool as heck, go for it!

Should transfer as “other” since it has never had a stock on it or otherwise built into a fully functional rifle or pistol.

That is my understanding as well. Its transferred as "other". My only concern is accuracy of it with a 8-10 barrel cut. I see the prebuilt of these have something like a 1:5 twist. Howa is 1:10 I believe. Probably not a real issue and if it is I can rebarrel. . Need to do more research.

I'm in the process of building one right now. I am going with the pork sword chassis and a rem700 action. Brownells had them on sale for $275 last week. Waiting on my my barrel.and I'll be good to go. I'm going with 300 blk but black collar has ran a short .308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Supposedly took them to over 900 yards.

Reactions: Bender
I like the sounds of that. MDT makes a pistol version of the LSS also. I may upgrade my 6.5 Grendel chassis and butcher it to fit oh so right.

I just grabbed a Howa Mini 300 to build into a shorty. The Elf Owl looks awesome but is spendy. Haven't decided which way to go yet.

I like the sounds of that. MDT makes a pistol version of the LSS also. I may upgrade my 6.5 Grendel chassis and butcher it to fit oh so right.
Just about any chassis that doesn't have the stock built in could be used for a pistol build. Almost all of the MDT units I was looking at didn't come with the stock.

Reactions: cm1021
Can a bolt gun be an "other"? While living behind enemy lines, the "other" semi auto that is 26+ inches in OAL, using a brace, and vertical forgrip seems to get around feature bans since it is not a rifle (no stock) and is too long to be a pistol.

Therefore, could someone just take the MDT chasis, throw a brace on it and a 12 or so inch barrel to get it to 26.5 inches and then have an "other" just like the AR guys are doing?

If that was possible, that would still give someone a woods gun that was 13 inches shorter than the normal Howa Mini.

Pork-Sword-Pistol-Chalk.jpg

Reactions: cm1021
HOWA in 300BO came back in stock. Ordered it. Plan is to have barrel cut to somewhere between 8-10" and rethreaded. Likely will upgrade my 20'Grendel to a Brownells BRN chassis or LSS-XL and modify the MDT LSS it's in for the BO pistol and add a brace yet to be chosen. My ideas tend to stay rather fluid till complete so this all may change. We'll just have to see.

Of course we all know that it's necessary to use a reciever that has never had a +16 inch barrel installed in order to do a make a pistol.

Reactions: Baron85
I looked and didn't see the Howa receivers, only rifles. Tks Pho, was looking for specs. If I did one one these, it would be 6.5G or .223

Of course we all know that it's necessary to use a reciever that has never had a +16 inch barrel installed in order to do a make a pistol.
That's not a requirement at all. You can't make a pistol from a rifle. A barreled action is not a rifle. If there was never a stock attached it's not a rifle.

I ended up ordering a brn stock in fde to place on my rifle and will use my lss on the pistol. W
I've always kinda wanted a longer forearm on the Grendel rifle and the lss will make a great platform for a suppressed pistol.

That's not a requirement at all. You can't make a pistol from a rifle. A barreled action is not a rifle. If there was never a stock attached it's not a rifle.
You are correct, I'm mistaken. I realize that now thinking of the pistol gripped shotguns that can be shortened, as they were never designed to be fired from the shoulder. As long as the barreled action is new, it can be transferred as an "other". Thank you for the correction.

No longer in production, Savage Stryker.

Because it's a Savage, the bolt face/head, and barrel are pretty easy to replace with the length and chambering of your choice.

It's a simpler approach to your goal.

Greg

I'll share mine I just finished, "Brownells" MDT Pistol chassis, rem 700 action, KAK 12.5 308 barrel, PVA magnum break, and a zero degree pistol grip

Attachments

• 20200516_204107.jpg
    20200516_204107.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 122
Im a fan of specialty pistols. I've been watching off and on for a striker but they tend to command a generous price. I do like the grip position but ounce you set it up for a brace using a custom stock the price skyrockets.

I think I've chosen the correct path for me. The core pieces are in route and just need a pic rail, extra magsand have my smith cut and thread barrel. Still not chocen exact length yet. Most info I find on optimum barrel length refers to AR and cycling reliability. It has a 1:7 barrel, will always have a can and be shot with heavy subsonic ammo 95% of the time. Thinking about 8-11"