• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Action Rifle Silencer: QD vs Direct Thread

Yellowhammer

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2018
North Alabama
Had a bit of a drive today so tried out the Everyday Sniper Podcast for something new. There was a topic about silencers & I picked up on a couple things in the discussion:

1. Almost all 2nd-time students will bring suppressors.

2. In general, with a few brands being the exception, it sounds like direct thread has less moving parts & tolerance stacking than direct thread.

I've got several Silencerco silencers with plenty of ASR attachments. I'm pretty new to the precision stuff & have never done much shooting for groups with silencers. What are the opinions re: direct thread vs QD when it comes to the ASR system? FWIW, I'm not a competitor, but I'd like to try out a precision oriented class sometime. All those 2nd time students must be buying silencers for a reason, I've already got the hardware just need to figure out if I should ASR or direct thread.

I've got no imminent plans of buying another silencer so I'm going to have to pick either my Omega 300 or the Hybrid 46. Rifle is a 6.5CM.

Opinions?

The omega can be adapted to use a number of mount options, including direct thread. Im not an ASR fan but it works ok. I also wouldn't consider that QD by any stretch, its just thread to taper with a locking mechanism. I dont think it matters much really.

Reactions: pineoak
I ditched asr and use the 419 system so I can use my multiple omegas in my multiple rifles. It’s basically a direct thread but more refined.

I sold my asr stuff and got the 419 for the same amount so it was a straight swap. And now it’s only 40 bucks to add a new rifle to the scuderia.

I ditched asr and use the 419 system so I can use my multiple omegas in my multiple rifles. It’s basically a direct thread but more refined.

I sold my asr stuff and got the 419 for the same amount so it was a straight swap. And now it’s only 40 bucks to add a new rifle to the scuderia.

That looks pretty good

I freaking despise direct thread....it's not 1980 anymore.

I use tbacs sr mounts or dead air on everything.

With a quality brake/mount design, there is no change in accuracy

Reactions: 308pirate
I have a Thunderbeast ultra 7 direct threat (apparently to the chagrin of Huskydriver) and an ASR mount for my silencerco. I’ve noticed no difference in repeatability or overall accuracy when using them.
My buddy runs an AEM 5 with the collar and break mount and he’s never had a repeatability problem. His mk12 mod1 is a lazer.

I emailed in my stuff for their mil discount and maybe going to order the 419 kit with adapters for my bolt guns & keep ASR for gas guns

Last edited:
On Frank and Marcs suggestion I’m going to start direct thread. I have almost no need to move the can so that ought to work fine for my needs. If I start swapping it around might add the QD

Reactions: kthomas
On Frank and Marcs suggestion I’m going to start direct thread. I have almost no need to move the can so that ought to work fine for my needs. If I start swapping it around might add the QD

As a side note, an option that’s not real clear is they did mention liking how TBAC does their brake set up. There is others too.

Known as T.O.M.B or thread over muzzle brake, not exactly what first comes to mind when thinking direct thread but TBAC claims it’s like direct thread but better with the larger surface area of the taper to lock on and center up with.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I have the Area 419 hellfire mount for my Omega. I have not had it come loose on me. I like it very much. One nice thing about a system like this is that it is cheaper for use on rifles with different barrel threads, like an AR with 1/2" threads and bolt guns with 5/8 threads. Then the end cap on the suppressor stays the same.

@spife7980 does the the 419 keep the silencer from loosening? I'm trying to figure out what advantage it has over the OEM direct thread.
I’ve never had it loosen.
I’ve typed up several different revisions of why I like it but each one isn’t really an advantage, nor a disadvantage. I’ll just say that it’s nicer to use on everything I have.

Reactions: Supersubes
I run a TBAC Ultra 9 direct thread on bolt guns

SilencerCo Saker 556 with ASR

I planned to convert the TBAC to the tomb system. Just for the fact that if I screwed up the threads I could swap it out and not jack up my barrel threads. Only reason I haven’t is I’m scared ship my TBAC out in fear it would get lost and I’d never recover it as Biden would shut my replacement down

I’ve read several threads where the tomb style muzzle device came off with the suppressor etc. I believe if your use rockset or red loctite you’d be fine. Pending you don’t heat the loctite up.

All this said. My TBAC would loosen up on my AR10. Had to pay attention to it and retighten. My Saker ASR hasn’t loosened up ever. I had a buddy dump a Magpul D60 through it just to see what it did. Lots of smoke but the suppressor never loosened and could be removed by hand after it cooled

I will most likely stick with the DT for the bolt guns as I won’t need to purchase $100+ brakes for each gun. And utilize the ASR for the AR15’s where the rate of fire is more likely to loosen the can

Last edited:
I have gone direct thread. I started out using CBA's for my Thunderbeasts but after getting several cans stuck on brakes over and over, I just left a brake in my ultra 7. I used antisieze for a while and it helped but didn't prevent it. And I got silverery paste everywhere, all the time. My Ultra 5 and 9 are DT now. The TBAC TOMB is a rock solid suppressor attachment and lock up for sure. It's the unlocking that becomes a pain. Direct thread is truly the simplest and most universal system. Not to mention, with as many barrels as I have, I had probably $2K in brakes...

Funny that you posted here as your the person I remember having issues with the tomb on the TBAC

I definitely agree with your post!

If your not doing Mag dumps and only firing a few rounds then it’s an absolute no brainer to go direct thread imho.

As far as accuracy is concerned I doubt my TBAC could get anymore accurate with the tomb system than the DI.

I've got ~ 11k rounds through 2 Q Cherry Bomb/taper systems one a Thunder Chicken and the other an F1 with Cherry Bomb tapered adapter. Threads clean as a whistle, no way those come loose with that system. Could't be more pleased. I'd spent enough time around people with problematic QD systems to make it a big focus in my can selection. That mount has somewhere b/t 9-9,500 rounds through it and I've never touched those threads once
IMG_2623.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 OpsInc cans a 12th Model and a 3rd Model (the original versions of Ron Allen's AEM5 and AEM30) They are hybrid of direct & QD. The 12th threads on a muzzle brake but butts into a taper on a collar a few inches back on the barrel. The 3rd threads onto muzzle threads but also butts onto a taper machined on the barrel. When properly tightened on well-built rifles, these are superb devices that neither come loose nor detract from accuracy.
My Wells Tango can uses AAC 51T mounting. I have had that come loose before and am thinking of reverting it to a Hellfire mount.
I have a TBAC Ultra 7 with QD and run the A419 Hellfire system with it. It has gone between 2 uppers on my Mega Maten and 2 barrels on my AIAX. Again, rifles properly set up for running these systems will not suffer in the accuracy or reliability department.
I also have a TacOps can in ATF jail. It's direct thread for my Lima51 and I got that because ... cmon, it's a TacOps and there is no denying their reputation.

Both of mine are YHM QD, they use a toothed ring with spring to keep the can from turing. I like it. Plus if one ever did seize to the QD, I can unscrew the qd and have a working firearm.

I have recently converted a AAC7.62SD to the Area 419 system, Ecco Machine did the work, and I could not be happier. I just could not get any consistency with the 51T mount system, if I took the suppressor off the gun, I would have to rezero it every time. Not so with the Area 419 system. I have experienced a vertical shift on some platforms, but it is exactly the same every time I put the suppressor on and I can easily note that shift and make a scope adjustment and be right on with the first shot. 51T shifted erratically and was not repeatable. It also would shift left and right, not just vertical.

If I remember correctly, when you buy a Thunder Beast Ultra that is direct thread, it just removed the taper/muzzle brake from on the rifle to in the can. So there is no real difference to the system, its just whether the taper/muzzle brake is attached to the rifle, or stuck in the can.

Per the podcast mentioned before, I gathered the real concern was disconnecting some of the systems when the can is hot, with the TB Ultra series it unscrews the same as a direct thread.

With that being said, I went with the TB Ultra 9 with T.O.M.B. so I could use the brake when I shoot in Illinois.

I've got ~ 11k rounds through 2 Q Cherry Bomb/taper systems one a Thunder Chicken and the other an F1 with Cherry Bomb tapered adapter. Threads clean as a whistle, no way those come loose with that system. Could't be more pleased. I'd spent enough time around people with problematic QD systems to make it a big focus in my can selection. That mount has somewhere b/t 9-9,500 rounds through it and I've never touched those threads onceView attachment 7567305

My wife wanted to use her SiCo Omega on both her bolt gun and her ar15. For that system, I decided to use the Q Cherry Bomb. It's the most elegant system out there, IMO, to perform this role.

The bolt gun was never going to be shot unsuppressed, so the lackluster muzzle brake (cherry bomb) was never a concern. The system is elegant and simple, it just works. Say what you want about Q (I'm not a Q fanboi), but putting the taper before the threads is a pretty smart design move. I love the fact that it's a simple screw on and off - I didn't want to get a system that could potentially launch a can if you mix up steps #4 and #5 during attachment, that would really turn my wife off of the whole process.

Personally, I'm not a fan of adding complexities and more failure points into our rifles. Ratchets, springs, set screws, etc - I avoid any additional ones when I can, but those that are familiar with me probably gather that on my posts in regards to "switch barrel" rifles and tuners. I don't get why some want a "QD" attachment system for suppressors on their bolt guns. IMO, you are not gaining anything with a QD system over direct thread, not from a perspective of speed or convenience. More potential problems with no real upsides.

For what it is, the Q Cherry Bomb is a great system. For a precision rifle only system, I would go straight direct thread, but it's perfect for swapping back and forth between ar15's and bolt guns.

Reactions: atepointer
My wife wanted to use her SiCo Omega on both her bolt gun and her ar15. For that system, I decided to use the Q Cherry Bomb. It's the most elegant system out there, IMO, to perform this role.

The bolt gun was never going to be shot unsuppressed, so the lackluster muzzle brake (cherry bomb) was never a concern. The system is elegant and simple, it just works. Say what you want about Q (I'm not a Q fanboi), but putting the taper before the threads is a pretty smart design move. I love the fact that it's a simple screw on and off - I didn't want to get a system that could potentially launch a can if you mix up steps #4 and #5 during attachment, that would really turn my wife off of the whole process.

Personally, I'm not a fan of adding complexities and more failure points into our rifles. Ratchets, springs, set screws, etc - I avoid any additional ones when I can, but those that are familiar with me probably gather that on my posts in regards to "switch barrel" rifles and tuners. I don't get why some want a "QD" attachment system for suppressors on their bolt guns. IMO, you are not gaining anything with a QD system over direct thread, not from a perspective of speed or convenience. More potential problems with no real upsides.

For what it is, the Q Cherry Bomb is a great system. For a precision rifle only system, I would go straight direct thread, but it's perfect for swapping back and forth between ar15's and bolt guns.
I do enjoy having the CB on various rifles just so easy to swap around mine bounce from 2 gassers and 1 bolt flawlessly. And for that matter I don't shoot any rifles unsuppressed...ever!

I do enjoy having the CB on various rifles just so easy to swap around mine bounce from 2 gassers and 1 bolt flawlessly. And for that matter I don't shoot any rifles unsuppressed...ever!

I'm with you, there isn't much point in shooting unsuppressed if you don't have to :p

Reactions: atepointer
Im a fan of dedicating the can to the bolt gun. I had an old generation OSS helix 762, the one that comes apart into 3 different pieces, and I dedicated it to my tikka CTR. Its not a "precision can" but the rifle shoots well and doesnt sound half bad either. That can doesnt leave that gun.

I do have a newer OSS 762 QD that jumps around from gun to gun for my semi autos but 9/10 its on my 16" 6.5CM AR10 build.

The more I shoot suppressors, the more I hate switching them between guns and think dedicated cans are the way to go. Where I see the utility of direct thread is being able to quickly remove the can to condense the size of the gun, assuming its not carbon locked

I’m sick at home today so I’ve gone back & forth on this several times. Going to try it direct thread for a while and change to 419 later if I want.

Dare I ask about suppressor covers? High heat Armageddon? Don’t really need the high heat on a bolt gun but can’t hurt

I’m sick at home today so I’ve gone back & forth on this several times. Going to try it direct thread for a while and change to 419 later if I want.

Dare I ask about suppressor covers? High heat Armageddon? Don’t really need the high heat on a bolt gun but can’t hurt
Mirage off a suppressor is a bitch and a half in the scope if you shoot enough. I can usually shoot 20 rounds before it starts getting too bad but the farther the target, the faster it becomes a problem for me. not a bad investment IMO

I will say a cover is nice b/c the suppressor mirage on top of Florida insane mirage......well if I can kill one of em that's a win.

Lot's of good options out there. Precision Underground is one, a member on here makes nice ones (@hunter-steve I think?) Rifles Only, etc.

Yeah, mirage sucks for sure. Gonna get a good cover. I’ve never done a competition and not likely to so I don’t ever see myself shooting without the silencer. I just want to shoot groups and smack steel way out there.

I do want to take lowlights class in TN though, assuming ammo can be found

I'm with you, there isn't much point in shooting unsuppressed if you don't have to :p
My dad is on my trust for the Form1 and he has gone from 'meh' to going shooting to 'hey I'm going to cancel a tennis match next week if we can go shoot'. He is shooting subs out of a 16" gasser the smile on his face is priceless.

Last edited: