• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt action suppressor wrap needed w/retention cord/loop

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
I tired to do a search but thing got mixed up with the search terms - so Im posting for some help guys.

Im looking for a suppressor cover that wont move much or at all - hopefully. Its a 308 bolt action so rate of fire isnt that high, but Id prefer to not send it down range either. you guys know a lot more than me with this stuff and whats new etc. Rauch looks like its too good to be true but might be a good deal for the cost alone.

So if you guys know of a cover that retains behind the QD or something similar - or hell doenst even come off w/o the retention strap, please let me know!

thanks!

I use the rifles only skinny on my TBAC Ultra-30. If you follow their how to install you tube video, it stays on.

I have their HAD on my work AR w dead air sandman. Same thing, follow directions and it stays on.

Excellent people making great products.

Reactions: MrOneEyedBoh
I’ve been using the Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover for 3+ years. As @jackinfl mentioned, if you follow directions it absolutely will not move.

I’m not telling you other suppressor covers don’t work, but I am saying the RO can covers work exceptionally well. I’d buy another tomorrow if I were in the market for another can.

I've found Armageddon Gear covers to be my fav. They tighten around the back of the can and don't move. I never had any luck with the brands that have straps and prefer not to have to lash the tail on the barrel when screwing on the can. As long as your can doesn't have any locking rings check out the AG covers.

Reactions: 30338 and Holliday
Burn proof gear is my new favorite. Pricey but i really like the way they cinch down.

Last edited:
I've found Armageddon Gear covers to be my fav. They tighten around the back of the can and don't move. I never had any luck with the brands that have straps and prefer not to have to lash the tail on the barrel when screwing on the can. As long as your can doesn't have any locking rings check out the AG covers.
The Armageddons work awesome! The nice thing about them as they can be run loose then slid back over the barrel during install/removal, for cooling your can or for attaching a magnetospeed .

I have a Rauch, and have had zero troubles with it. Had it for several years now. Buy with confidence, its a great deal.

With mine, I can run the barrel through between the retention cords on the end (2 cords bound together at the end with a plastic cap). That way if it slid off it would dangle from the barrel. I did that routinely for awhile because I was afraid it would slide off and I'd lose it somewhere while hunting. Now, I don't bother, because I'm satisfied that its not going anywhere. But that's an option for you also if you are worried about it.

I use Armageddon. Direct thread TBAC Ultra 9. Tightens behind the suppressor. My cover has never slid on my can
FF073E8B-C6B3-4701-997A-B0805402B1EC.jpeg

Why use one at all?
If you don’t use a mirage shield the heat from the can after about 3 shots washes the target out. It’s a must have in my opinion for long range shooting with optics. If your hunting and only plan to fire a shot or two then I say not needed

I don’t use one on my AR’s with my Saker. Red dots/close range

Lol, 3 shots. I call bull shit. 3 shots and the can isn’t even warm to the touch.

I bought one based on internet lore. Haven’t used it in 5 years.
I just stuff my wrenches in it to keep em together in the bottom of my bag so it has some usefulness. Complete waste of time and money.

• Haha
Reactions: Holliday
Lol, 3 shots. I call bull shit. 3 shots and the can isn’t even warm to the touch.

I just stuff my wrenches in it to keep em together in the bottom of my bag so it has some usefulness. Complete waste of time and money.
6D99A791-C56C-48A6-A475-CD22539ADE04.jpeg

Reactions: tnc

I don’t ever think I have seen a post of yours I strongly disagree with or scratch my head and say WTF? 😀

I have ton of hours shooting bolt actions suppressed. WTF are you talking about??

Thats what Im wondering lol, wtf are yall talking about!
Im in south central texas where its always hot and I shoot with cans exclusively for the last 5 years and the number of times Ive had my can get hot enough to need a wrap to obscure mirage I could count on one hand. And that number is 2 and it was against a wall in the sun with zero air circulation.

I dont shot semis much, if at all, other than thermal so I dont have any mag dumps etc to worry about but I can run 10 rounds through the bolts in a minute and a half and not notice my cross hairs jumping around.

I saw someone said to get fuel line sleeve from spruce aircraft parts and the HAD cover from R.O. and you have a HAD for 70$ versus 95$ish

Im in south central texas where its always hot and I shoot with cans exclusively for the last 5 years and the number of times Ive had my can get hot enough to need a wrap to obscure mirage I could count on one hand. And that number is 2 and it was against a wall in the sun with zero air circulation.

I dont shot semis much, if at all, other than thermal so I dont have any mag dumps etc to worry about but I can run 10 rounds through the bolts in a minute and a half and not notice my cross hairs jumping around.
Well it certainly is vexing that my experience behind a suppressed bolt action, shooting moderately, would be so much different than yours. I have gone so far as to use a piece of cardboard as a field expedient mirage deflector in a pinch.

This year I have seen it for the first time. Its totally dependent on wind. I was testing a new load at distance, which consisted of shooting 5 shots, driving 4-wheeler to the target and back, repeat at a longer range. When I started the third or fourth (can't remember) string of fire, at the furthest distance of 925, I noticed that all the sudden after the first shot the view was very murky. I just couldn't see the steel as clearly as before, everything looked hazy. I chalked it up to sudden change in moisture in the air or dew point or whatever and moved on.

It wasn't until after I was done that it hit me that it was mirage coming off my can, I didn't have the cover on it. But I don't think it was the shot count that made it suddenly noticeable. It was because I was shooting at dusk, and the wind suddenly died to absolute zero. I was shooting down a valley and at the last yard line protected on both sides by woods about 10 yards in each direction. Earlier out in the middle of the field, there was enough wind to blow the mirage off. But not at the last spot at the end of the day. So I think you are right, you can get away without the cover for a long time...in a 2+ mph wind.

Reactions: spife7980

Gotta agree with that guy who said he’s never disagreed with your posts before. Neither have I until this one.

I thought it was BS too until I shot my 204 and couldn’t see shit after 5 or so shots. At 100 yds my paper target suddenly seemed like I was in a b-movie looking at a far away oasis in the desert. Heat waves baby! (This was sans wrap)

Note I own an all-titanium can. Heats up quick-like. Now I own a Precision Underground lace cover, but I have other gear from RO, AG, & Coletac so they probably make good covers too. I have read that lace ones are handier than Velcro because with the latter you need to fuss with the Velcro fit each time vs the lace pull-tab.

Last edited:
Shot without a cover for the first time the other day. Same experience with not being able to see crap through the mirage.
Cole Tac is what I have on my cans and it works.

I was visiting with my Griffen Bushwhacker 46 at the shop the other day and got to try it on my .338 LM. After just 2 shots it was hot to the touch. I was surprised how quickly it heated up. I ordered a Cole Tac cover for it that will be in hand before I take possession of the suppressor.

I was visiting with my Griffen Bushwhacker 46 at the shop the other day and got to try it on my .338 LM. After just 2 shots it was hot to the touch. I was surprised how quickly it heated up. I ordered a Cole Tac cover for it that will be in hand before I take possession of the suppressor.
Big magnums will do that. Burning a lot of powder seems to heat up barrels and cans faster. IME, 300nm heats up about twice as fast as Creedmoors. And I agree with other that after a minimal amount of rounds mirage becomes extreme without a suppressor cover.