• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bolt Action Valkyrie

That's good marketing.

Just like when Gap says 2500+ on the 6.5 gap 4s and user end up with less than 1800

So say you, since you appear to have an axe to grind. So explain to me why this round shouldn’t get the same amount of good barrel life as a .223. This isn’t one of your barrel burner over bore cartridges that are used for p-dogs. It’s actually fairly sedate, running most of the heavies in the 2650-2800 range.

And yet it really does reach out to distance better than a .223 can do in a small frame AR. Those of us actually shooting the round are seeing this. You call it hype, I call it great fun.

As I’m sure you know, not pushing a round to its limits increases barrel life considerably. I shoot 136g in my .260 at a relatively medium speed of 2750-2770. Doing so has netted me well over 4000 accurate rounds in one barrel and I’m over 3000 rounds on the current barrel. No loss of speed or accuracy.

Others push their .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor to 3000 FPS and are lucky to get 2000-2500 good rounds before it’s toast.

Depends on the barrel. I rarely hear of a 6
Creed over 1500. Typically in the 12-1500. My current barrel is at 900, so I’m already ordering a new one to have ready. I’m putting about 3-400 a month on it.

I may be switching to 6x47 on my third barrel. Have heard some pretty good life out of those here locally.

Nope

I just used up my 5th barrel in 6x47l, it's best to replace at 1200 rounds in this cartridge if you plan on going to a big 2 day match, I found out the hard way twice. All these barrels were stretched as far as barrel life goes and the worst was done at 1500 rounds. Current barrel could go "maybe" a couple hundred rounds more at the 1600 mark but it's pulled off as of a few days ago.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
The allure is barrel life and low recoil with 223, 223AI, 224V, 22 Grendel and 22 BR.

My 223AI is at 2813 fps with 88's (24.8gr Varget), in the low node, in a 28" 7 twist, at 2.614" OACL. I expect 5000 rounds barrel life which would be awesome. I just wish there were mags that would provide that length!!! As an example I cleaned our course on our smaller steel for the first time with this combo out to 981Y, so it does better than I thought it would in light winds. If you think about it the ballistics are close to the same as a 6.5 Creed with 130's. I was perfectly happy with those bullets, at that speed.

I'm guessing the next node up would be near to 2900 fps and might be able to reach that velocity with 26 grains of powder.

Point being getting the appropriate work done with as little powder as possible. Of course this is speculation but I can see a 224V, like I described in my earlier post, getting very good barrel life in a longer barrel??!!

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
So, Impact says they have or can do a Valkyrie bolt. These are the pros I was considering:

No fireforming
Easily use 90gr bullets
223 like recoil
2-3x the barrel life of 6creed
Can keep a few hundred factory ammo around if needed in a pinch

The barrel life + no fireforming + heavies is the most appealing part to me.

What option am I missing that I should consider chambering in over .224 that has these advantages?

I know there are better cartridges ballistically speaking, but the pros listed above appeal to me.

I’m picking up an Origin action tomorrow with a 224 bolt face. Most of your points are what I considered when looking for a caliber. A huge thing to me is being able to buy decent factory ammo. I’m hoping to do a lighter hunter/backup PRS style rifle. Either way, I think it’s gonna be a blast to shoot!

22 BR sounds like it might be a winner

I have two 1-7" Bartleins coming along wiith a 22BR reamer for my son and I. We are planning on running the 88 ELDM at 3000 fps for match rifles. I would be happy with 2200-2500 rounds out of a barrel that shoots $.19 bullets with less than 30 grains of powder.

I really don’t see why this is so hard.

Reload: Go 223AI or whatever floats your boat.

Don’t reload: 224 valkyrie is a great option at this time for cheap/accurate over the counter ammo.