• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt and Lug Lube?

Re: Bolt and Lug Lube?

Any decent quality grease will be just fine. I sometimes use shooters choice I grab at scheels. Sometimes mobil synthetic grease right out of the tube if I am shooting out at my farm and need a little dab.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the lugs I use a stick of silver anti-seize and have a stick in with my cleaning kit. </div></div>

I would be worried about the graphite in the anti-seize pitting the bolt and receiver lugs.. I have seen it happen in other high-pressure applications on cars, mainly in the brake components.

You probably know better than me, but I would take any quality grease in an NLGI rating between 2 and 4 over anti-seize anyday..

I personally use AMSOIL grease, Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2 to be exact..

Mobil 1 synthetic grease, a few drops of remoil on top of the grease, work bolt in action wipe excess off lightly. I coat the whole bolt heavily then wipe off after I work action a few times

Hi Hide,

Would FrogLube or one of the molybdenum-based "dry lubes" do it, or are those troublesome in this context? I ask because I've got a brand new .260 coming my way very soon here.

Yours,

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">find a gun shop that stocks frog lube</div></div>
Hi JWP6114,

So you mean it's not such a reliable lube? I did call my local gun shop (Trop Gun Shop), and they have all three FrogLube products, as does Brownell's/Midway, but I'm still nervous about it. I have a rather expensive action on my gun and I don't want to screw it up.

How about the molybdenum-based dry lubes like Sentry Solutions' BP2000? Would those be safe choices?

Yours,

David

Tri-flow oil or grease. The only issue is that grease or oil will attract grit...not a problem if you just wipe the gun down.

I've also used reloading dry lube...works well.

Moly dry lube...it would work fine, probably better than most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TM grease from Sinclair. Awesome stuff. Also the Hoppe's gun grease works extremely well too. </div></div>

I swear by TM for my bolt rifles

To the OP ... what you should take from this is that we are all anal about our rifles. Clean yours after each shoot, maintain it, and am sure that any/all products that folks have listed they use will work well for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP ... what you should take from this is that we are all anal about our rifles. Clean yours after each shoot, maintain it, and am sure that any/all products that folks have listed they use will work well for you. </div></div>

Many here would not advise you to clean after each use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil One Synthetic grease </div></div>

exactly

Automotive bearing grease is your friend for gun grease.

Lubriplate, mil-spec, even works when wet, proven to be great gun grease for 50 years, on can lasts almost forever.

Would Yamalube "grizzly grease" work? It's the grease used in Yamaha atv clutches.

You can get a small tube of Tetra Gun Grease from Amazon. Midway will rape you on shipping unless you get it with other items.

How about this - use something. Anything that prevents galling is better than nothing. Don't use too much. Leave the WD 40 away from guns and use something.

One time my neighbor bought a brand new .45 Kimber and asked me to out and watch him dump a few rounds - guess what he forgot,lube! and the gun was completely dry. Quick thinking pulled the dipstick on the truck and a few drops that were all that was needed anyway. I live in the desert and people always want to run guns dry, so as "not to attract dust.' But running any firearm too dry is worse then too wet, most of the time. Keep the lube out fo the chamber area!

+1 for CLP. I love that smell! If I need am actual grease (which is rare) I use slide gluide which came as a sample when I ordered my Dillon 650 from Brian Enos. Damn tiny tubs has lasted me years

AMSoil synthetic grease, just cause I have a bunch, otherwise a light coating if whatever automotive grease I have handy.

Joe

I found out too late that oil is not an adequate bolt locking lug lube. Now I use Mobil 1 synthetic on my bolt lugs. It's also tits for lubing up an M1 or M14.

Frog Lube as well. It is a great clp, and it smells delicious. I keep a 1oz tube in my pack too kit at all times.

I use the moly grease that comes in a can from John Deere.

Go with Frog Lube. It doesn't really matter if you use the paste or the liquid. I use the liquid right now only because it is easier to apply to springs. In the past, I have used the paste. I am telling you this stuff is amazing and it isn't nasty like petroleum products. For the last ten years I have used nothing but automotive bearing grease, fully synthetic ATF, and occasionally a bit of Remoil on my gear. Now I am going to Frog Lube for everything.

Nother vote for FROG lube. I use the paste on all surfaces that contact something, and the liquide for the bore after I clean it with Boretech.

+1 for FROG lube, it give you the smoothest action in your toys and carbon dose not build up as heavy, in most cases wipes right away.

I'll be another odd man out since it seems only one other person even mentioned what I like. Brian Enos Slide Glide. Great stuff so far and my go to for something thicker. Though I do have a few things in my kit. Weapon Shield CLP, Weapon Shield Grease and the emergency stuff that was given to me, Shooters choice grease.

I started with Tetra grease, but now I use Lucas Red N' Tacky as it seems to slick things up a bit better. Just a dab will do.

lithium or Automotive bearing grease, or i use this as well

F14588315.jpg

Specialty Lubricants : Permatex® Ultra Slick? Engine Assembly Lube