• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt binding on TL3

BuckeyeRifleman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
Ohio
Finally got my TL3 together, built on a MPA BA Lite chassis. I noticed that the bolt will bind if I exert any upward or right pressure on the bolt handle when the action is fully to the rear. This causes issues when trying to work the action quickly. It’s almost like there is too much clearance between the bolt body and the action. At first I thought it might be a break in issue but the problem has persisted despite working the action hundreds of times.

Can anyone else with a TL3 tell me if this is normal or not? I’ll be honest I’m a bit disappointed... I’d expect a $1300 action not to bind whatsoever.

This is normal with a TL-3 and many other actions as well. It was the first thing I observed when I got my TL-3. I was instantly surprised running the bolt of how slick the TL-3 wasn't after hearing everyone gush over how smooth their TL-3s are. They really oversold them. I had a Stiller Spectre/ PT&G B-17 action that was much smoother once the cerakote wore in. Two things about it though:

1. Learn to drive the bolt forward with a downward pressure. I know it seems obvious and like a shitty answer but most people take for granted how to run a bolt. There's a few techniques out there that we should all spend the time to learn.

2. Action smoothness, clean and empty, is different and frankly kind of un-important compared to full mag, dusty, windy, shitty conditions. The TL-3 does run dirty and that's what matters most to me. It also runs wierdo cartridges well. You can get a slicked up action that runs smooth in the shop that grinds up in dusty wind.

I wish it was a little smoother, but that is my only wish with the TL-3. It does everything else really well. Mags are the real bitch you'll have to worry about, depending on what cartridge you run.

Thanks for the reply. That’s sort of a relief to hear it’s normal. The action is super smooth if you run it with downward pressure like you describe. Guess it’s just a technique thing.

I also had issues with my magpul AICS mags not feeding. When the case angled up on the feedramp the bolt would skip over the case head.

What mags do you find run the best? I have the AW cut and am running 6.5 CM btw.

I can get just about any bolt to bind with pressure exerted in wrong direction. Only action I could not get to do that was an AI AT.
I have a TL3, it will do that if I try. But it just doesn't with some practice. It is definitely not unique to the TL3.

I've got a couple TL3's, both DLC coated. One is good, and one is OMG butter smooth (the one with more rounds on it). Like you said if you have the bolt at full rear and push at the completely wrong angle the bolt will not go forward. Where the action is smooth is in the low effort for the bolt to slide back/forth when run properly. Just spend some time behind the gun getting familiar with the way the action moves and it will feel natural. I've never had the bolt bind on me in actual shooting.

Any action will bind if pushing directions she is against...find which direction she prefer and practice/threat it like eye relief or cheekweld...(same way all the time)

They all do it. You need to learn to run the bolt with very slight downward pressure when pushing forward and its smooth as glass as others have mentioned.

The TL3 with an AW cut does not work with the Magpul PMags. You can run any of the metal bodied mags in an AW cut action but the plastic ones only work in the AICS cut actions.

The TL3 with an AW cut does not work with the Magpul PMags. You can run any of the metal bodied mags in an AW cut action but the plastic ones only work in the AICS cut actions.

Thanks, guess I will be purchasing some metal mags. Anyone want some magpul mags?:D

As for the bolt bind, I messed with a few of my other bolt guns (m77 and 03A3) and they do it too. I guess I never really noticed it. My RPR didn’t due to the bolt design, but it was a heavy bitch and didn’t offer near the features of the TL3.

The magpul mags feed fine in my TL3 when loaded with 6creedmoor. In fact, they feed twice as smooth as my over priced finicky ARC mags.

Yup the TL3 biting in the back is normal. Got a DLCd one, same thing. Just had to start running it differently. It was akward for me though, because my Tikka never had that problem, unless i REALLY tried to make it bite back there.

What mag cut do you have? I like most can not get Magpul to run but the ARCs have been very reliable.
The actions in a MPA BA chassis. The magpul mags have ran great and never needed maintenance. The ARCs do feed but not nearly as smooth. I have the plastic upgraded followers but haven’t had a chance to install them yet to see if they help.

Off topic but I also ran the magpul mags in a Tikka/XLR action and it fed smoothly.