• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt coatings.

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Looking to get a couple desert tech bolts coated to hopefully smooth them up. I see Robar is out of business now. Who’s the go to these days?

Have you Tried Hornandy one shot gun cleaner?
    I works wonders on my savage and makes my nuke run silky smooth!
    3B0B5DEA-44F7-420A-AA87-E7E5564A3EF8.png

Apparently this is a thing for @Fred @ Bison Tactical

Any feedback from desert tech SRS owners that have had bolt coatings done?

Hi,

Interested to see if Bison is doing themselves or sending out to one of the popular companies...Does anyone know?

DLC and Teflon S is just not typically something someone decides to "jump" into as an in-house service but the success Fred and his crew have had diving off into retail sector of the firearms industry they may have took the coating "jump" too.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: deersniper
    Looking to get a couple desert tech bolts coated to hopefully smooth them up. I see Robar is out of business now. Who’s the go to these days?

Find a shop that sends batches to I.H.I. IonBond in Greensboro, NC. for their DLC coating.
    Their TB41 and TB40 processes are what I specify.
    I send all bolt bodies, cocking pieces, extractors and firing pins there for processing. Perfect track record so far. No peeling/flaking that others have complained about when using unknown sources.

Once your parts arrive there, they are quick and efficient.
    Bolt on my main loaner and demo gun has over 4,600 rounds and probably 20K cycles on it since coating the new parts. Almost zero wear marks.

./

I see Robar is out of business now. Who’s the go to these days?
    Robar was never technically the ones doing NP3. Their sister company was. Coating Technologies, Inc.
    CTI is still in business and very busy.

They do good work. I have had them do 100s of bolts and other parts over the years. NP3 is quite slick but as certain other coatings that are popular, it will show wear quickly.

./

Hi,

IMO when we start talking about this coating vs that coating, etc etc......The main focus should shift from the type of coating to the WHAT is being coated; specifically to details such as manufacturer of the item in discussion.

Reason I say that is that there clearly are differences in tolerances, tolerance stacking, alloys, etc etc that play a HUGE role in the "outcome" of abc coating vs xyz coating.

Example:
    Cerakote "feels" horrible in some receivers yet unless I am mistaken AI utilizes it with no "feel" problems.

Second focus should be on "whom" does the coating.
    Example:
    Not all DLC jobs are equal.
    Not all Cerakote jobs are equal.

IMO it comes down to what you are wanting the coating to do:
    Smooth out the action?
    Provide better corrosion resistance?
    Provide better wear resistance?

Pick your preferred results and work your way back from there.

Sincerely,
    Theis

AI has spoiled me.

Want to smooth the action on a couple desert tech SRS rifles.

I also have a GAP Templar with cerakote I think. I hear that a different coating would make a big difference in that also.

Would hope corrosion resistance and wear resistance would come with all of these finishes

Robar was never technically the ones doing NP3. Their sister company was. Coating Technologies, Inc.
    CTI is still in business and very busy.

They do good work. I have had them do 100s of bolts and other parts over the years. NP3 is quite slick but as certain other coatings that are popular, it will show wear quickly.

./

Question for you Terry as I highly value your knowledge and opinion. In what way have you seen NP3 from Robar (CTI) show wear?

I have NP3 on several bolts and swear by the stuff. Some bolts with many thousands of rounds and no flaking, peeling, or anything like that. The only "wear" I've experienced is the NP3 getting a shiny appearance which doesn't affect the function or protection it provides. So maybe I've been really lucky? Surgeon, Rems, Defiance, even AR BCGs.

Thanks for any insight or clarification.

Question for you Terry as I highly value your knowledge and opinion. In what way have you seen NP3 from Robar (CTI) show wear?

I have NP3 on several bolts and swear by the stuff. Some bolts with many thousands of rounds and no flaking, peeling, or anything like that. The only "wear" I've experienced is the NP3 getting a shiny appearance which doesn't affect the function or protection it provides. So maybe I've been really lucky? Surgeon, Rems, Defiance, even AR BCGs.

Thanks for any insight or clarification.

I would have the bolt bodies and cocking piece done in a matte NP3 and the firing pins natural /shiney. The bolts would rapidly show wear via rub marks and loosing the "matte" look.

I give it credit that it seemingly kept the slickness and corrosion resistance on the worn contact areas long after the surface wear started to show. Similar to the Birdsong finishes when they show wear fairly quickly.

It would be interesting to figure out if the lack of corrosion on high wear areas is due to the residual properties of the NP3 or simply the fact that the part continues to bear on those surfaces and keeps any corrosion from starting.

Not poo pooing the NP3 at all. For me, the DLC/IonBond gives the darker look that seemingly has a much higher resistance to abrasion.

Edited to add ....Remember that my "opinion" is just that and is driven by the experiences I have personally and via other users. So my opinion is driven by an extremely small slice of the big picture out there.

./

Reactions: morganlamprecht
    Does anyone know what Cryptic Coatings' Mystic Black is? I have one of their BCGs, and it's slicker than greased owl shit. I have DLC on other parts, and this stuff isn't that. Unfortunately, Cryptic won't coat customer parts, but I figure that they aren't the only place on the planet doing this coating... so I'm wondering if any of y'all might recognize it and know how to get other parts coated.

You might try Evolution Armory in New Hampshire. They do ionbond coating for individuals. Looks like there mainly do 1911's, but their website says to call them about other gun parts. Looks like have really good reviews from what I have found.

Hey @deersniper you ever find someone to DLC coat your srs bolts? Worth it? Cost? Thinking about have a couple of mine done but don’t know if it’d be worth it

have a 40x bolt from a BlackOps repeater conversion thats been painted 7 shades of different spray paint. would like to get it coated, so ill follow this thread and see if anyone picks up the torch on sending something out right now

I’m having SAC do a full chassis and 2 conversion build for me on a A2 covert. I’ll ask them if it’s something they can do

My remington 700 bolt was not smooth. So i coated the bolt with DLC. Afterwards I did not notice any improvement. So finally I coated the bolt and inside of action with Cerakote Elite. Now it is super smooth. I cannot recommend Cerakote Elite enough for bolts and actions.

For my semi automatics I coat all the moving parts with ArmorLube (Coating Technologies LLC) which eliminates the need for any lubricants. No lubricants means less dirt. ArmorLube is also very affordable. It is flat black in color. I have coated bolts, bolt carriers, receiver covers, gas pistons, strikers, trigger components and other small parts with it.

Last edited: