• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Fluting?

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Is there any advantage to having a bolt fluted other than shaving an ounce or so in weight or is it a cosmetic thing? Just curious.

It’s strictly cosmetic in a 2 lug action. I doubt it even saves an ounce of weight but I haven’t done the math. I personally feel there is more potential for problems with a fluted bolt body than a smooth bolt body.

Edit: I guess you can lose 1.75+ oz.

Last edited:
Helical flutes can make them run a little rattier. Straight flutes typically run about the same as a non-fluted bolt. But yeah, mostly for looks, a tiny bit of weight reduction.

iIRC...
A.I. started doing this (maybe they weren't the "first") on the Arctic Warfare to reduce surface area of the bolt contacting the receiver raceway to reduce the possibility of the bolt being rendered inop (frozen in place) in subzero harsh conditions....practical application.

iIRC...
A.I. started doing this (maybe they weren't the "first") on the Arctic Warfare to reduce surface area of the bolt contacting the receiver raceway to reduce the possibility of the bolt being rendered inop (frozen in place) in subzero harsh conditions....practical application.

The AI is a completely different animal than a 2 lug action with massive opening nearly all the way around the bolt body where most people flute.

The AI is a completely different animal than a 2 lug action with massive opening nearly all the way around the bolt body where most people flute.

I was not comparing the 6 lug action to anyone else's...but what do you mean when you say "massive opening all the way around the bolt body"?
The OP asked if there was a practical reason for fluting a bolt other than weight or looks, and the AW bolt is fluted for the reason I stated.

Last edited:
I was not comparing the 6 lug action to anyone else's...but what do you mean when you say "massive opening all the way around the bolt body"?
The OP asked if there was a practical reason for fluting a bolt other than weight or looks, and the AW bolt is fluted for the reason I stated.

Since the OP was asking about having a bolt fluted, it would be highly likely to be a factory two lug bolt. On a two lug action, where most people flute the bolt body, there is the ejection port, magazine port and raceway leaving minimal actual bolt body to receiver contact in that area. There is zero mechanical or functional benefit to fluting a two lug bolt body. People like to justify it somehow or another but when it comes down to it, they do it for looks.

Less surface area generally makes a bolt run much smoother and with much less drag. Generally about 1.5 oz weight savings. Plus they just plain look cool. Feel free to check out my site for some nice fluted bolt and barrel pics.:)

Regards, Paul

www.proprecisionrifles.com