• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt guns with a 60 degree throw or less.

Because they don’t have to be perfectly divisible even increments.
But then there would be no point, other than a gimmick, to use more than two lugs?

One lug would be worse, but load sharing wise, asymmetric lugs would be worse than two?

This is from the Archimedes page:
"75-degree bolt rotation provides excellent knob to scope clearance and shortens bolt cycle."

And this from the Nucleus
  • 80 degree bolt rotation
I believe Ted changed them in the latter versions to improve bolt lift :

"
80 degrees of bolt rotation

In order to improve the smoothness of the bolt cycle, maintain an appropriate level of cocking effort, and still provide adequate clearance between the shooter’s hand and the scope during bolt cycling, Nucleus G2.0 has 80 degrees of bolt rotation. The original Nucleus had 72 degrees."

If no can be a stupid answer, it’s because it was stupid question.
Nah, more like you don't have an answer...

You see, I don't mind not knowing, hence I ask questions to increase my knowledge. You, on the other hand, do not seem to know or have the capability to explain, even though you profess expertise in the area.

All rifles I have handled with more than three lugs (Sako, Sauer and Weatherby) have all had their lugs evenly distributed around the circumference of the bolt and I surmised that was practice (three legged stool and so on).

I was hoping you would provide me with an answer, or at least point me in the right direction, so that I could learn more about these asymetrical lug rifle actions.

Obviously I was mistaken.

The answers to all your questions were no. Do you want answers to different question? Ask them! Why should anyone read between the lines of a question with a very simple answer? Ask the questions you want answers to. Not different questions.
Evenly distributed lugs doesn’t mean 60° bolt throw. Many examples have already been provided to the contrary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
blaser
merkel
Sako just released a straight pull
Q fixes/minis

Nah, more like you don't have an answer...

You see, I don't mind not knowing, hence I ask questions to increase my knowledge. You, on the other hand, do not seem to know or have the capability to explain, even though you profess expertise in the area.

All rifles I have handled with more than three lugs (Sako, Sauer and Weatherby) have all had their lugs evenly distributed around the circumference of the bolt and I surmised that was practice (three legged stool and so on).

I was hoping you would provide me with an answer, or at least point me in the right direction, so that I could learn more about these asymetrical lug rifle actions.

Obviously I was mistaken.

Not wanting to waste time with someone who wants everything handed to him is not the same as not knowing or not knowing how to explain.

If you want to understand how axial thrust loads are shared through asymmetical arrangements, buy a book on engineering mechanics and study the sections on static loads.

Then spend your money on a CAD/FEA suite and get to work analyzing.

You're not owed a thing, particularly by those who spent time/money/efforts to learn on their own.

@Tokay444

Reactions: Tokay444
Correct. But I'm sure it was by choice. Idk of anyone that understands toroidal geometry better than Ted.
The lugs are equally spaced, but they doesn’t dictate the bolt throw.

Correct. But I'm sure it was by choice. Idk of anyone that understands toroidal geometry better than Ted.
Ted is a cool guy to talk to
He’s both normal guy and mad genius at the same time.
The toroidal lugs are a really cool feature of his actions.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Not wanting to waste time with someone who wants everything handed to him is not the same as not knowing or not knowing how to explain.

If you want to understand how axial thrust loads are shared through asymmetical arrangements, buy a book on engineering mechanics and study the sections on static loads.

Then spend your money on a CAD/FEA suite and get to work analyzing.

You're not owed a thing, particularly by those who spent time/money/efforts to learn on their own.

@Tokay444
Well, I do know. I just didn't know that some mfgs choose to produce asymmetrical lugs (And who they are. Or why).

Done that, though I must admit not on university level. I did my first static load calculations some thirty years ago.

Got that, though there might be better programmes than SolidWorks?

I'm not saying I am, other than maybe a bit of common politeness? "No" is not an adequate answer to any of my question and I guess having been given just a bit more information than that might have been enough to satisfy my curiosity?

Mostly I agree with you, which would be evident by the likes I've given you through the years. This time I do not. :)

Well, I do know. I just didn't know that some mfgs choose to produce asymmetrical lugs (And who they are. Or why).

Done that, though I must admit not on university level. I did my first static load calculations some thirty years ago.

Got that, though there might be better programmes than SolidWorks?

I'm not saying I am, other than maybe a bit of common politeness? "No" is not an adequate answer to any of my question and I guess having been given just a bit more information than that might have been enough to satisfy my curiosity?

Mostly I agree with you, which would be evident by the likes I've given you through the years. This time I do not. :)
The lugs are not asymmetrical. No one asked about lug symmetry.

Let's review then, my initial question:
Anything with three, or more, lugs?
With the extensive reply:
My clarification:
Sorry. Don't think I was clear enough.

3 or more interspaced lugs (am I using the correct term?).

Full rotation/Lugs/Throw
2 lugs - 90 (360/2/2) though Tikka has a 70? Degree bolt lift.
3 lugs - 60 (360/3/2)
4 lugs - 45 (360/4/2)
And so on...

The Weatherby would then by this definition be a "3 lug" system despite that it has six (or nine) individual physical protrusion.

Not trying to be right, just re(de)fining my question.
Further replies:
I’m telling you no, just because an action has 3 lugs, does not automatically mean it has a 60° bolt throw, as you’re stating. That simply is not the case.

Because they don’t have to be perfectly divisible even increments.

The lugs are not asymmetrical. No one asked about lug symmetry.

Well good luck with your endeavour.

I don’t have an endeavour.

So the point of the exercise is information. I have owned Sako TRG's, tikka, Terminus, Remington, AI, Seekins and several other actions.

After playing with the Q FIX I loved the throw on the bolt. The gun is a just a little to light for what I want it in. I am considering looking for a new action. I am looking for a 60 deg throw or less. I am making a medium weight gun. Needs to shoot out to 1k. caliber 260. Shoot 3-4 PRS matches a year. May use for a back up gun hunting. I will run a stock and chassis for the build. It was just important to get the throw under 60 deg.

What you think is important, isn’t. It’s actually a detriment. The more work the bolt needs to do in less rotation, the harder it is to lift. Less than 60° of bolt lift, unless you get some heavy cock on close, is going to feel like shit and you’ll be pulling your gun off target in unstable shooting positions. The 70°-75° of lift seem to be the perfect compromise. There’s no free lunch.

Reactions: iceng
I’m a low bolt throw lover and this thread is cool to read through. Tikka has been for me the best throw to bolt lift combo.

I’m waiting to try one of the new straight pull guns (beretta, or the black collar MBA) to see how they compare.

Reactions: DROWN
I’m a low bolt throw lover and this thread is cool to read through. Tikka has been for me the best throw to bolt lift combo.

I’m waiting to try one of the new straight pull guns (beretta, or the black collar MBA) to see how they compare.
There will be a 100% reduction in bolt throw.

There will be a 100% reduction in bolt throw.
Touché …… but how smooth will it be?

If it’s clunky or difficult to cycle slow (rumor about savage is it’s rough and heavy) then might as well stay with tried and true actions.

It’s been a while but my buddy had a Weatherby mark V action (~55-60* action I think) and the lift wasn’t too bad. He also had an A-bolt 2 browning that was smooth. Don’t remember how heavy the lift was on the browning.

If you try to rotate a non rotating bolt, it’s not going to be very smooth.

Yes the str is damned smooth and fast.

The Sauer 90 however, is a whole other league of smooth.

You can add Sauer 80+90 and RPA to the list also

Is there a way to get those actions to the US? They look really cool and the bolt design interests me.