• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Issue

kmc0929

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
North Carolina
Rem 700 SA, seems like the bolts comes back too far, and sometimes when I am pushing it back forward, if I am not 100% parallel to the bore it gets hung up. Any ideas or is this normal and I am just now noticing it?

Re: Bolt Issue

I gave up my factory bolt. I sent in the rifle to Mark at SAC and he reamed the action out for a PTG bolt. Its the best upgrade I did to it, well beside an aftermarket barrel.

I would check the bolt stop and make sure it is working properly. If the bolt stop isn't damaged and is working properly then it may be something you're just starting to notice. I don't know how old your action is or how long you've been shooting that action but if you will notcie the Surgeon action wrench for the 700 they will have a I or II stamped on them the II has the cut out for the newer model actions with the anti-bind rail in them. My point is the 700 especially the older ones have been known to bind thus the reason for the newer ones with the anti-bind rail.

Here's a trick.

When I used to shoot NRA highpower I learned to place my thumb right on the cocking piece when cycling during rapid fire strings.

Problem solved.

C.

just a standard bolt, and i think it might just be manufacturing the problem but pushing up while pushing the bolt in. but still a good excuse to upgrade...