• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Knob Suggestion and Pic Request

5280EM!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm in the process of deciding which tactical bolt knob to go with for my Rem. 700. With so many Tactical Bolt Knobs out there, please provide your suggestions and pictures if available.

BoltFluter for sure. He fluted my Rem700 LA bolt and made/installed a custom bolt knob

7416775878_5c37e46930_c.jpg

Did mine my self,then had a friend of mine with a lathe turn some aluminum stock down. he made 4 different knobs for me while he was on the lathe,and depending on my mood or how I am shooting,I just screw a different one on there.

Did my own. Similar to the Phoenix custom rifle varmint knob. For the effort and time i took to make this, just having someone else do it for $50-100 makes more sense. Give pcr a call. They do nice work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365785638996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365785638996.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 59
KRG Bolt Lift. You can remove it whenver you want, no mods to your bolt so no worries about voids or reducing integrity etc. Plus it's polymer so you can stipple it!!!!!

Another fan of the KRG Bolt Lift here. The only time I like knobs is when I am using a chassis with a pistol grip. With standard stocks and prone/tactical stocks, they always seem to get in the way of my trigger finger because of the added length to the bolt handle. The KRG Bolt Lift can be removed when I make a stock switch... and knobs are a serious and literal pain in the back when slung the traditional way, muzzle up. Plus (and I am sure I am in the minority here) should you decide to sell your rifle later, you’ll have a wider audience… there have been quite a few rifles for sale here that I passed on just due to the knob.

Last edited:
Just got APAs knob on mine and it is by far my favorite for feel & size. Tried and like the badger, tried and liked the trg round knob but I think Jered got it right

Just got APAs knob on mine and it is by far my favorite for feel & size. Tried and like the badger, tried and liked the trg round knob but I think Jered got it right

Good to know... I plan to send my bolt off to APA next week. I like the look, and knurl and size seemed right.

And I like to use local shops.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have one and will have them on all my rifles from now on. I don't know how to describe it, it just feels right

Eddie

For $80 to $100 bucks. there are a lot of places that do really nice work. I read up on the DIY bolt knob, bought a nice simple solid steel tear drop knob off of eBay for $20, and hacked my existing knob square, filed it round while carefully measuring the diameter, and then ran a die down it. I put a little JB Weld on the threads, threaded it on, and it came out pretty nicely.

Here is my homemade bolt knob. I made it out of a portion of the leftover stub from my Obermeyer 5r .260.

Attachments

• DSC_0555_zpsb1171ca6.jpg
    DSC_0555_zpsb1171ca6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0556_zps928f1da8.jpg
    DSC_0556_zps928f1da8.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 97
I like the factory Surgeon "Sniper" knob:

<http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/bolt-knobs-prod29331.aspx>

I like the Badger(s) on my bolt guns but once saw a rather large spherical one on a bolt gun in what I think was an old Chuck Norris movie----could have been a factory rifle
but it didn't look like anything I had seen before, but I was much younger then----any ideas on large round bolts or is there a reason I have not seen another?

Any knob that interferes with your trigger finger is incorrectly installed. If you simply turn threads onto the material from your existing knob, it will be too short every time. You need to install in a way similar to El Gordo's above, extending it from the bolt body in order to improve stock clearance.

-matt

Any knob that interferes with your trigger finger is incorrectly installed. If you simply turn threads onto the material from your existing knob, it will be too short every time.
-matt

Everytime, hmmm, seems like quite a generalization ignoring many factors like type of stock, size of shooters hand, bolt knob used,...etc. Mine works just fine and doesn't interfere with my trigger finger, even though I just turned the material from my existing bolt knob.

Any knob that interferes with your trigger finger is incorrectly installed. If you simply turn threads onto the material from your existing knob, it will be too short every time. You need to install in a way similar to El Gordo's above, extending it from the bolt body in order to improve stock clearance.

-matt
Mine also has plenty of clearance and that is exactly how I did mine...

My bolt knob

I made this at work on the lathe and mill at work (yes, I was getting paid too) out of a piece of aluminum then painted it with krylon. Threaded the bolt handle at home. I have since done 3 and are looking better each time.

Attachments

• 2012-08-15 11.40.26.jpg
    2012-08-15 11.40.26.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 71
I'm not a fan of the Badger style. It gets in the way of my trigger finger knuckle AND the shape channels my fingers in toward the scope bell when cycling it with an under hand motion. I felt like I needed a longer, more cylindrical shape that just extended the handle rather than simply make it bigger with a funnel shape in the wrong direction. I'm getting Mark at SAC to use an APA on my Bighorn - hoping that it will work better with it's longer handle and different shape.

I like the Precision Armament knobs. I have them on both of my rifles.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards the APA knob, just due to size and feedback here from the hide.

I'm interested too - thanks for starting the thread.

Well I just found the one I want (I SO don't like those mammoth Badger knobs)! Anyone know of any forum vendors that stock and install that Anderson knob from PTG? I mean I know I can order the knob itself from PTG, but I was hoping for a shop that already had them and did the bolt handle cut & threaded insert correctly for a single stop shop.

I had a Badger Ordinance knob installed. As a lefty shooting a right handed bolt gun, it makes it much easier to manipulate the bolt.

Attachments

• download-4.jpg
    download-4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
the bolt knob CAN be rounded to a cylindical shape, allowing to be threaded_ in this way you can avoid to sacrifice some handle's lenght, and a savvy shaped custom knob WON'T give you any clearance issue_ (I've done that on my factory stock 700) _my main suggestion is to avoid anything knurled,anyway: the factory knurling has been the main reason, for me,to modify the factory 700 bolt knob_ I understand that aestethically some knurling solutions can be very attractive, but the collateral rash can be disturbing, on my experience_

Do you or anyone else have his business number or contact info? (Bolt Fluter) I'm looking to do a couple bolts & knobs. Thx!

Brian
Email: [email protected]
(915) 449-0004

Brian,

Nice rig by the way! I just received my AICS 2.0 & Nightforce. Looking forward to getting back out there soon!

Brian,
Here you go. 1-208-871-7429. You can also click on my logo below.

Thanks,
Boltfluter

I had PCR do a custom size for me of their Phoenix Knob
Dia 1.125" (normally .850) adds leverage to the bolt lift of my M2008....smoooth

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg