• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Knobs

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
I'm looking at Bolt knobs for my remmy 700 and I'd like input and suggestions. I'm really digging the Callahan tactical aluminum bolt knob that is knurled, I also really like the DD Ross tactical bolt knob. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks for any help or suggestions of like knobs that may be better

Re: Bolt Knobs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at Bolt knobs for my remmy 700 and I'd like input and suggestions. I'm really digging the Callahan tactical aluminum bolt knob that is knurled, I also really like the DD Ross tactical bolt knob. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks for any help or suggestions of like knobs that may be better </div></div>
The Callahan bolt knobs are nice, but I prefer the clearance you get between the bolt handle and stock, scope ocular bell, and the trigger finger / hand when using the Tac Ops Bolt Conversion. Typical bolt knob installations shorten the bolt handle (reducing clearance to the afore-mentioned areas).

Shortening the bolt handle (thereby decreasing clearance in the above-mentioned areas) is exactly what you don't want. Why would anyone want to <span style="font-style: italic">decrease</span> clearance, thereby <span style="font-style: italic">increasing</span> the possibility of bumping your fingers on the scope ocular while you work the bolt? This is a serious problem for shooters with large hands and/or when shooting with gloves on. Extra clearance also helps keep the shooter's hand from pressing up on the bolt handle, which is another issue which may or may not affect an individual shooter/rifle combination.

The Tac Ops Bolt Conversion <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> actually add a bit more clearance, allowing smoother bolt operation because the bolt can be operated without hitting one's fingers on the ocular bell. I say "<span style="font-style: italic">can</span>" because if you want a short bolt handle like you get with other bolt handle installs the bolt handle just needs to be cut a bit shorter before the "bung" is TIG welded on.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also note that the Tac Ops Bolt Conversion IS NOT a DIY "project". </span>I highly recommend that you have the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion done by <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">wnroscoe</span></span> (PM them here on the Hide'), or send the bolt to Tac Ops.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The photo in <span style="font-style: italic">TXBRASS</span>'s bolt knob montage that <span style="font-style: italic">SurgeonPredator</span> linked to shows what an incorrectly-installed, crappy job looks like on a Tac Ops Bolt Conversion.</span>

Below are some photos of the bolt from my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51</span></span>. The bolt is coated in Birdsong "Tac Ops" Green-T and Black-T. The first is a close up of the bolt knob on the rifle from the side, followed by a photo off of the rifle where you can see the seamless transition from the handle to the bolt knob.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Close up of the bolt knob on the rifle from the side:</span></span>
TacOpsBoltHandle8x6P.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Seamless, perfectly round transition from the (round) knob to bolt handle:</span></span>
TacOpsBoltKnobFlushFit8x6.jpg

For comparison below are a few photos' of a Tac Ops Bolt Knob installed on a RH SA M700 bolt and a competitor's bolt knob installed on a LH SA M700 bolt. Keep-in-mind that the competitor's bolt handle isn't even as short as most others, which are sometimes so short that the shooter can barely grasp the knob without fingers hitting the ocular bell.

I should point-out that, if for some strange reason someone actually wanted a shorter bolt handle this is easily accomplished by cutting the shank shorter before welding the threaded insert to the bolt handle. That said, compare the <span style="font-weight: bold">length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank</span> of the Tac Ops bolt to the length of the handle and the diameter of the threaded shank of the competitor's bolt:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops bolt handle:</span>
TacOpsBoltHandle8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's bolt handle:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandle18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's Bolt (on left) and Tac Ops Bolt (on right):</span>
TacOpsCompetitorsBolts8x6.jpg

Now on the rifles. Getting the angle the same for both guns was tricky, so it may be difficult to see the actual clearance difference in in the photos. However, in person the clearance delta is substantial.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Look at the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on this Tac Ops Bolt:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobClearance26x8-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the clearance between the bolt knob's "top" and the stock on the competitor's bolt:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandlleClearance6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, look at the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the Tac Ops rifle:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobCloseup6x8.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Compared to the distance between the bolt knob's "bottom corner" and the grip on the competitor's rifle:</span>
CompetitorsBoltKnobClearance6x8.jpg

Check out my post below this one - it shows some photos that I borrowed from <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span>'s "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">some bolt knob install pictures</span></span>". <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold">installs the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion correctly.</span>

Keith

<span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>'s photos of Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversions in progress:

100_0001.jpg

100_0010.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0006.jpg

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

100_0002.jpg

100_0014.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0016.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span> also posted some post grinding & sanding photos somewhere, but I don't know where the post is. The bolts ground smooth and ready for finishing before re-bluing / coating.

Keith

I got my bolt back from Monteboy84 last week. The work is excellent. I highly recommend him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I also really like the DD Ross tactical bolt knob. Anyone have experience with these? </div></div>

I was directed to the DD Ross Tactical Knob by my 'smith. I had gone with the Badger on all other bolt guns. The Ross is hands down my favorite. The longer knob contacts the back of my hand, when I release the trigger and rotate to cycle the bolt. The knurled surface inspires more confidence with me, while wearing gloves. The price tag is a little harsh, but worth the money.

That's the Ross on my 700 SPS 300 WSM.
PICT0019-1-1.jpg

Very nice work on the Tac Op's knobs posted above. Looks like I will be sending a bolt over there soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice work on the Tac Op's knobs posted above. Looks like I will be sending a bolt over there soon. </div></div>
Can't go wrong with Tac Ops, but if it were me I would send my bolt to <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">wnroscoe</span>, as I believe that you will get a faster turnaround time. As I mentioned earlier, they are both active here on the Hide', and both will do an excellent job.

Keith

I would get one installed through SAC by Mark Gordon. He has a technique that he keeps secret and that is sought after by many other gun smiths. Check out www.shortactioncustoms.com Not only will it be stronger than most but it will perfectly match the angle of the handle.

Awesome post! I may have a project to play with, lol.. very nice. I used Kampfeldcustom.com

My question is who makes a bolt knob that is also a wrench for Mark 4 rings?

something like this -

LargeHexmeda.jpg

That is specifically designed to work on these -

l_526492280_1.jpg

Yes, I know that bolt knob is from RDPrecision, but I'm looking for a Tac Ops version.

100_4247.jpg

100_4244.jpg

DDRossKnob1.jpg

DDRossKnob2.jpg

100_2840.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2849.jpg

100_2851.jpg

100_3586.jpg

All of my rifles wear the DD Ross knob.....my next build will be a light weight so I will have my local smith make a copy of it in Aluminum and try it out.

Have the smith mount it as close to the stock as possible....the last pic of my 270WSM was before I had him shorten it to match my other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade-19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my bolt back from Monteboy84 last week. The work is excellent. I highly recommend him. </div></div>

+1 Matt does a great job.