• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bolt lube

I use Lucas gun oil on the bolt body and CherryBalmz bolt balm for the lugs and cam.
In my opinion, there is no best, just what works for you. Some people just use motor oil and EP2 or EP3 grease from the garage/shed.

Only dry lube I know of is called Militec. If I lived in a dusty sandy place like in a desert, I would probably run it. But I don't live in those conditions, so I use grease and oil.

I don't know if its the best but have been using TM Solutions Ultra Bolt
Grease for years. I also use it on the pivot points of my O/U shotguns.

Militec for me.
I see you're from Michigan. If you deer hunt, keep the bolt and firing pin/spring dry in cold weather. Missed a few chances due to light primer strikes. Most guys store their rifles butt down/muzzle up. Over time, lube and left over solvent collect in two places. The trigger and the firing pin/spring. In cold weather the firing pin and spring can gum up and cause a light primer strike.

Reactions: supercorndogs
OP, being a FNG, might I suggest also starting an MOA vs MIL thread.
And maybe a SFP v FFP, then hit the semis shoot just like bolt actions for the trifecta...

Oh, I use light weight grease on my bolt action, but I've been known to shoot it dry too. ? Whatever motor oil I have on hand (full synth) works for the semi autos.

Reactions: cornhusker86
I guess I don't know what is going on :confused:
Stick around and you will.

There are some threads topics that just seem to stay at the forefront of the new guy psyche. What's the best lube? What's the best reticle? Why is mrad better than moa? Or not? Should I FFP? What's the best zero range? Etc.

if you click around long enough youll see a few threads either get beat to shit
or some just make some people get bat shit crazy

every few weeks there is a thread:
what distance to sight in at
first vs second focal plane
my gun shoot .5 all day
my AR shoots as good as your custom bold gun

and it gets everyone's panties in a uproar

fun to sit and watch though

back to OP:

as long as your not in freeazing temps or super blown dusty conditions any grease on the lugs and light oil will work just fine

The way I see it... I was once a total noob. But knowledgeable patient people helped me immensely so I'm gonna be that too.

If I see a post where I can't be helpful and informative or am tempted to be a jerk… I just go right past it

Reactions: Jake the dog
most of the time its started by guys who want to spout BS get called out for some truth and they double down

many members actually spend time on answers and think things through when a question is asked (i do and the members that i pay attention to do as well, always something to learn)

a lot of the time its done as fun and it cuts a little to close to the bone

and yes there are dicks in these woods

I appreciate the ones that help, I joined this forum cause I had questions, before I made any posts I scanned back 12 pages and didn't see it....I've been an advocate against bullying for several years and if anyone thinks it is a necessary thing give me a call and we can discuss it

I appreciate the ones that help, I joined this forum cause I had questions, before I made any posts I scanned back 12 pages and didn't see it....I've been an advocate against bullying for several years and if anyone thinks it is a necessary thing give me a call and we can discuss it

I dont think you will have any issues here, honestly. Some people here are salty, some are salty AF, but you get that everywhere, and I dont recall ever seeing any instances of actual, textbook bullying, just instances of assholes in their natural environment (the internet). Overall, the vast majority of the cross section of people here are very friendly and helpful. Hell, I posted once asking if anyone knew a shop that could cut a new firing pin for my granddads old .22 rifle, and instead I had 2 guys offering to do it for me for free. And thats only one example of many, of the kindness Ive received from other members here. Its a good group.

Stick around a bit, I think you will like it here.

Oh and to answer your question, seeing as you are from SW Missouri, a light oil like slip 2000 or rem-oil would likely work great on the bolt body to keep the humidity from settling too much on the metal and causing oxidation, and a light coat of any grease (super light) on the bolt lugs will likely do the trick. No one magic bullet, but you definitely want to protect against that moisture.

Reactions: garandman
I appreciate the ones that help, I joined this forum cause I had questions, before I made any posts I scanned back 12 pages and didn't see it....

3QeZ.gif

Copy and paste these into google...

site: forums.snipershide.com lube
site: forums.snipershide.com moa and mrad
site: forums.snipershide.com ffp and sfp
site: forums.snipershide.com zero range distance

Go nuts!

Last edited:
Hobo oil on the bolt body and side of the lugs. Tetra grease in the cocking ramp and sides of the lugs that engage the action upon rotation.

I have tried some Lee case lube, just because I had some laying one the bench. It works good.
Mobile one is good as well.

Nothing on our bolt rifles necessitates a high end grease. Everything is low speed low pressure. The cocking ramp experiences the most consistent pressure. All of these gun lubes are designed to part money from your wallet. Any grease will suffice. Technically any oil will work, but my preference is for lighter weight oils. That is the extent of my pickiness over rifle lubes.

Reactions: AK_shooter
I just use automatic transmission fluid. It’s cheap and it works. Doesn’t take too much. If you can feel oil on the parts, it probably means you have too much on it.

And what’s the point of putting grease on the lugs? Serious question.

I just use automatic transmission fluid. It’s cheap and it works. Doesn’t take too much. If you can feel oil on the parts, it probably means you have too much on it.

And what’s the point of putting grease on the lugs? Serious question.

My understanding is that the grease helps to prevent the lug surfaces from galling over time from contact with the recesses during lock up

Reactions: Changed
I appreciate the ones that help, I joined this forum cause I had questions, before I made any posts I scanned back 12 pages and didn't see it

That's good. The forum has a pretty good search engine too. Although its big weakness is needs more than 3 characters in a search term to work. Out of luck if you're searching for ELD, M1A, SJC, or even PST Gen II (because there's no word in that search that's more than 3 characters). Other than that it's pretty helpful with answering questions.

Reactions: Dirtrider389
That's good. The forum has a pretty good search engine too. Although its big weakness is needs more than 3 characters in a search term to work. Out of luck if you're searching for ELD, M1A, SJC, or even PST Gen II (because there's no word in that search that's more than 3 characters). Other than that it's pretty helpful with answering questions.
Best search seems to be in #33 post.
1) google search engine
2) search “snipershide” and whatever you want to know.

Easier and fast than using the forum search engine.

I use Montana X-Treme Gun Grease.