• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BOLT Rifle 6.5x55-- 308 win-- 7mm08

Crowhawk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Have a Remington short action mint 25 years old.
Out of the three calibers 6.5x55--308Win--7mm08 what would you barrel it in and WHY.
Just having a problem making a choice.
All help is appreciated
Thanks crowhawk

Last edited:
It depends on what you can get in the reloading supplies. 308 you can find bullets, brass ect fairly easy. 6.5x55 would be nice high BC bullets and the same with 7mm08. Barrels are the same what ever you want as long as it is a quality barrel, I have a Krieger on my Surgeon and Broughtons on 2 others. I had a Shilen barrel that went 8220 rounds on a 308 this includes having it set back but you get the idea.

I'm a fan of 6.5x55. However, they are usually in a long action. I'm not as familiar with the 700's dimensions, so that's something I would check out, first, before deciding (there has to be guys here with 700s in 6.5x55 that would give you more info). Also, .260 Rem. or 6.5CM will get you to almost the same velocities with the same bullet, so long as you don't go with a short barrel.

Don't go with the 6.5x55 in a SA. You will not be able to get the OAL you need with the 140 class bullets. That round needs a LA for a proper home. If you want a 6.5mm on that platform then go with a 260 or a 6.5 Creedmoor.

IIRC, the 6.5x55 bolt face is slightly larger than .473 and it also needs a LA to be at its best. I would go 7MM-08 and not look back. It has great ballistics and easy to load accurately. Exceeds 308 performance (apples to apples).

For all the reasons mentioned above, I'd recommend the 7-08. Having said that, i will own a 6.5 Swede one if these days ;). Will this be a hunting, comp, or all-around type rifle?

So I assume you have a MINT bbl attached to that Mint action? What is it in?

If it was me seeing as I have 3 308's currently and I had to use that action I wouldn't do either. If I had to use that action I would do 6mm creedmoor because that's what I want. My next two choices for that action would be 6.5creed or 6.5x47. If it had to be one of those three choices and the action could go I would pick 6.5x55 and ditch that action for a long action.

That's what I'd do and probably not what you wanted to hear.

A short action 6.5x55 has nothing on a 260 or 6.5creed other than excellent relatively inexpensive brass.

While the 6.5x55 is a fabulous cartridge, I would only build one of the improved variants of it, personally.

The 708 and 260 are both very well balanced cartridges, and do everything well. The advantage goes decidedly to the 260 if less recoil is your fancy, while it goes to the 708 if a long lived barrel is more important.

While not asked about, the 243 or 6mm Creed deserves attention. Prolific bullet choices, flat shooting and....well....there's a reason most of the PRS shooters are going to the 6s.

7-08, definitely. As one of the posters already said "Everybody has a 308" Go with something different. My 2 rifles are 7-08 and 7mm mag. Next one may be a 7mm short mag. I like the 7mm's. News flash, there are other calibers out there beside 308, 6.5 something and 223 for tactical rifles. Use your imagination and have fun, but the short action does limit your options.