• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bolt squeaks when when I close it...need help

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
So when I close the bolt on my GAP rifle, the bolt squeaks... it kind of sounds like a spring is rubbing on the inside as I shut it. What can I do to get rid of this noise? I have never taken a bolt apart before.

thanks

Re: bolt squeaks when when I close it...need help

Lube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lube? </div></div>

giggity

Mouse living inside your bolt. Tie a piece of cheese to a string and feed it from the muzzle to the breech and wait for a tug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mouse living inside your bolt. Tie a piece of cheese to a string and feed it from the muzzle to the breech and wait for a tug. </div></div>

For the win!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The squeak is actually a dry firing pin spring rubbing on a dry firing pin. A little lube will clear it up quickly....</div></div>

what part of the bolt should i put the lube in?

My model 70 bolt started doing that this year when I I took it out is kinda a crunching noise would like to know what to do as well

If it is a rem 700 or clone action, the bolt is easily to take apart with a penny. Where the lube should go will be obvious.

just took it apart doing the same thing as in the SH video above. I put it in my shoe laces, pulled the firing pin back and unscrewed it. The inside was pretty gross for being a new GAP 338 with only 100 rounds through it.
The firing pin spring was pretty dry, it was rubbing on the inside of the bolt body, making the noise.... took some lube and rubbed it on the spring.....worked it in and out of the bolt body a few times and it was good to go.

Action is smooth as silk now!

Thanks guys!