• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt vs gas

Interesting you should ask.

Just yesterday I decided to give myself some purpose on my range trips Id compare my gas guns to my bolt guns.

Yesterday I started with an LMT MWS at 300 yards.

Today Ill shoot my bolt at 300 yards same style target.

Ill probably try a couple other guns with irons or scopes maybe different ranges.

Here is the first range trip.

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/general/community/29873-semi-auto-or-bolt-action

I think I know what the results will show but you decide.

I prefer 6.5x47 Lapua in a bolt gun here is why.
6.5x47 Lapua gets same velocity with less powder in a cartridge that uses small rifle primers and last over twice as long as the 6.5 creed more. The Lapua brass is cheaper and the 6.5x47 fits the mags better with long bullets. As far as gun chiose most matches give you plenty of time to cycle a bolt and you do lots of barrier shooting. If you have a nice trigger around 2-3lbs in a gas gun you will have to train yourself not to bump fire it on accident. Doing that at a match would be bad.
with a bolt gun you can neck size your brass if you want and it is easier to clear a hang up or feeding issue. If your gas gun jams you most likely are out of time by the time you fix it. Shooting a good group is one thing but consistency is another and it is my opinion that a bolt gun gives you the highest chance to consistently repeat accurate shooting. A solid trued, free floted,smooth manual operation with fire formed brass. That's my opinion.

Handling a single recoil vs three recoils of a gas gun is significant. Granted I think mastering a gas gun makes you follow thru on a bolt gun so it makes u a better shooter. I have match grade ar16 in a 6mm wildcat and match ar10 in 260 rem. They collect dust. I shoot my TL3 bolt in 6mm Comp match and 223 trainer barrel.

The nearly unanimous consensus will be to use a bolt gun. They're a lot more forgiving to shoot as they don't exploit weaknesses in your fundamentals as much as gas guns.