• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolting a safe to the floor. Need advise

Charliehorse794

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Tallahassee, Fl USA
I will be bolting my Liberty safe to my concrete foundation and just had some questions. I plan on using a hammer drill but I want to know what kind of hardware you would recommend that would give me a good firm anchor and not be too intrusive into the safe with the remaining end of the bolt. I am looking for a nice flush fit and finish inside the safe. Thanks.

Re: Bolting a safe to the floor. Need advise

Your bolting it down, but you want a flush fit? Bolts and nuts stick up by nature how else would they hold something down?

I would use expaneding bolts If you plan on never moving the safe drill extra deep with longer bolts so it goes little bit threw the floor. pump in some epoxy then jam bolts in tighten bolts let dry.

The bolts should sit flush with the drywall liner in the safe and be covered by the carpet on the safe floor. I then cover the bolts with silcone to make it a waterproof seal cause my basement floods a little

BMG50 is right.

Drill through the concrete floor and hammer in 3/8" (or thicker) expanding bolts. You will then tighten them all the way up and cut off the excess bolts.

Since you will be bolting it to the steel floor, there will be a recess in the firewall so the nuts can be covered by a plastic cap that should have come with the safe.

Good luck!

Check your local hardware or building supply store. They may carry a product line called "Red Head" anchors. If you follow the directions they will work fine and the only thing visible will be the hex head of the bolt. But your Liberty safe should have come with plastic covers for those. If it didn't contact Liberty.

A hammer drill is the only way to drill concrete without breaking your arm and taking all day.

Use epoxy with whatever anchor you chose. It is cheap and easy to use and will seal the anchor to the concrete.

Expansion type anchors. There are two types I have used. If using a 3/8 bolt you would use a 7/16 mason/hammer drill bit, drill to depth, drop the anchor in and using a center punch drive the piston inside all the way down untill it stops. Its a permanent install. They are made of steel, and have a smooth chrome finish. The other, using a 3/8 bolt again doesnt have to be hammered in to expand. It takes a much larger hole, like 5/8 IIRC, and it has an expanding wedge that gets pushed doen as the bolt is threaded in. Not as permanent, you can get em out if you fight with it a lil. Made of soft aluminum and dull grey. Both will give you threads to anchor your desired bolt into, keeping them as flush as you can. There are also diffrent sizes to accomodate diffrent bolts. I cant find the first one I mentioned, but here is the other one.
2nd mentioned

In addition, if you are using a simple plastic shield and it only takes a 1/4 inch hole, a good mason bit and a battery drill will get it done. But for larger, a hammer drill helps a lot.

Go to your local Fastenal Store or online there selection is endless. Drop in achors are flush with the floor and then just measure for the right size bolt. The only protrusion will be the bolt head.

Yes they are raised and come with a floor top to conceal the hardware used to anchor it to the floor

I would use a "Hilti type drop in anchor", use a 3/8" or bigger.

1)Mark your drill bit with tape or a marker for your required depth. Then drill, don't worry if go too deep, you'll just need a longer bolt.

2)Blow the loose concrete dust out of the hole.

3)Insert drop in anchor and using a center punch drive the center pin down.

4)Use the appropriate size 3/8" x ? hex bolt to complete your installation.

I think the "Hilti type drop in anchor" would be the best anchor for your application...it is flush setting and the safe can be unbolted and removed if need be. Don't worry about the anchor pulling out, there pretty strong and I believe the 3/8" is rated at about 4000 lbs. I wouldn't use them in "green" concrete, but as long as your concrete is cured...they should be good to go!

Here is an example of the anchor in my suggestion... www.drop-in-anchor.com/

Kind regards,

i would use an explosive powered nail gun just nail the bastard there and to remove it later just gring the heads off the naild and then flush with the concrete afterwards. Well that is what i did and you cant notice the nails i do have the nail gun so it helps.

I anchor all sorts of equipment, and find the best to be the Wej-It brand stud anchors. Red-head makes a competing variety which is also very good (called Stud anchors). No need for epoxy, but it never hurts. They are the best because you just drill all the way through the slab (or sufficiently deep so it won't bottom out) and then put the nut on and pound it in. Tighten the nut and you're GTG.

Fastenal or Grainger carries them, and they're worth getting. Stay away from lead anchors or toggle bolts or anything like that.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5HY48?Pid=search

+1000, I've set more equipment than I care to remember and they have worked great time after time.

The Wej-it/Redhead work great. You can always grind off the excess inside the safe. Redhead also makes "Chemical Anchors" that are top notch. You just drill in, drop a glass tube containing both halves of some kind of hard core epoxy, then jam the stud in breaking the glass. They might lend themselves to your application better since there's a very limited amount of tightening needed after they set up. They wind up much closer to flush.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTripper says.......glue it to the floor </div></div>

LOL! I'd use PL400 - that stuff won't come off no matter what you scrub with. My bathroom remodel will be around long after we're all gone due to the liberal use of PL400.

I'd use a Hilti Drop in Anchor. 3/8" are pretty strong, we use em a lot for work. Though if you want something even more solid the 1/2" anchors work really good as well. The sell both short and deep anchors, the latter having more strength obviously. Drill to depth, use their setting tool to flare it, then buy bolts and washers accordingly, and you're GTG.

There's another type of Hilti anchor commonly referred to as "quick bolts". You drill these extra deep, however no setting tool is required. Just pound it straight into the ground. As you pound it in, it flares on it's own. However, you'll have to lift the safe up and over onto the anchor, as there's already a threaded end built into it. This is also very solid, but may be a lot more troublesome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTripper says.......glue it to the floor</div></div>

Bolt, I wanna hire you for a remodel.

Another "Agree with JBomb". Go with the flush anchors, not expanding bolt. As Deviant said, you will have to lift the safe/vault over the bolt tops. Also, using flush anchors, only a bolt head will be exposed. If you ever do have to move the safe, the studs are a pain to mitigate. IMPO, Hilti makes the best fasteners.

Tips:
* Hammer-drill: If you don't have one, buy one or rent it.
* Vacuum as you are drilling - compressed air blows dust everywhere.

Bolt it to the wall, higher up, it will be impossible to pull the safe over. I have mine on blocks,cause the basement does get water in it when conditions are right

Use minimum of 3/8" Wedge Anchors, 3" long. 1/2" is preferred and as long as you can get depending on slab thickness. Be very careful not to drill into plumbing. Darposte is spot on for his recommendation.