• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bomb-proof Rem 700 trigger?

Re: Bomb-proof Rem 700 trigger?

Excellent question! Mauser triggers are great and have suvived the mud and dust of wars since those mausers were first made. But I don't think mauser triggers will work with a Remington 700.
I really want to hear the solution to this problem.

I would also like to know. I am in the process of deciding on an X-mark replacement. It will be going on a duty/competition gun so ultimate reliability is a requirement.

I have been looking at the Rifle Basix and Timney. It seems to be a toss-up between them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which trigger is giving you so much trouble? </div></div>
+1

I was all set to buy a Jewell until I read from many on this site, that they are a better choice for the bench and maybe not the field.

I like the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which trigger is giving you so much trouble? </div></div>

The X-Mark. Varying pull weight does not instill confidence on a hard use gun. I may have a line on a pre-Xmark stock trigger, but if that falls through I want to be able to just buy a reputable trigger and roll with it.

F the rifle basic it lasted less than 10 rounds in my windrunner and was toast.

Check out HUBER's triggers
Give John a call, you want be disappointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also like to know. I am in the process of deciding on an X-mark replacement. It will be going on a duty/competition gun so ultimate reliability is a requirement.

I have been looking at the Rifle Basix and Timney. It seems to be a toss-up between them. </div></div>

If I were in your shoes I would use a tuned remington trigger. They work fine. I have a rifle basix that has been less than reliable. Oil got in it I guess from cleaning and messed up the trigger good. GAP uses stock triggers in alot of their builds.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sylvan-Forge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What trigger laughs at dirt and abuse? The Timex of triggers?</div></div>

just why would you expose dirt and abuse on your stick......something on which your life may depend and or have a tremendous amount of money invested in in say a once in-a-lifetime hunting trip....?....

savvy what the Marines and other services do on their precision systems.....

I would imagine that making a trigger "bombproof" is not that hard, though you might need two fingers and your big toe to pull it.

tag on this thread because I want to know as well.

Wish Glock made a trigger for 700's
cry.gif

I am waiting on a friend to get back to me on if he can locate his old stock trigger. If not, I am going to start tracking down a stock unit. It's a known quantity. I have never had one fail.

Anyone know a good source for stock triggers at a reasonable price?

A Bomb-proof Rem 700 trigger? My recommendation comes with a Model 70 action.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ONESHOTONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out HUBER's triggers
Give John a call, you want be disappointed </div></div>

Who's Huber and where do I find him. You have any Huber contact info?

Oops! ok, got it!

http://www.huberconcepts.com/Remington700.htm

http://www.huberconcepts.com/

The Huber better not disappoint at $420!

It's hard to tell cause there is not much info on the site about the design of the trigger but it would appear they use ball bearings for the trigger movement, while I have no experience in them unless that trigger is very well sealed it may have reliability issues, tight tolerances and ball bearing surfaces do no like contamination. Their computer testing looks impressive, and I have no doubt it's accurate but it says nothing about how reliable they are especially when dirty.

The most proven trigger is the older pre-xmark stock trigger, set it as a reasonable weight, have a good smith smooth the interface surfaces, make sure you have ENOUGH sear contact to be reliable if dirty and they are bombproof. 99% of the reliability problems with stock triggers are because someone either messed with the springs trying to get them too light, messed with the adjustment screws without knowing what they were doing, or the interface surfaces have been damaged or their angles changed by improper stoning, or a combination of all 3. Superlight hair trigger and reliable in field conditions do not go together.

The 40x trigger is also a great option, and I would guess you can order them from remington (no idea on cost) as they still provide them on their custom rifles and the XCR tactical rifles. Finding a used factory trigger would no doubt be the cheapest option, but also keep in mind trigger variations, safety's have changed over the years, so that may require removal/modification.

I just pulled a Rifle Basic out of a rifle. If you want it make me an offer. I think the thing is a POS so it can be had cheap. I went with a 40x trigger from a '60s Heavy barrel 22. I've got several of them and can't say enough good about them. Like all Remington triggers though they work much better if you replace the springs with one out of a car tire valve stem. Also, triggers need a cleaning now and then. Oil will dry out and form a varnish like deposit and cause the trigger to gum up some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just pulled a Rifle Basic out of a rifle. If you want it make me an offer. I think the thing is a POS so it can be had cheap. I went with a 40x trigger from a '60s Heavy barrel 22. I've got several of them and can't say enough good about them. Like all Remington triggers though they work much better if you replace the springs with one out of a car tire valve stem. Also, triggers need a cleaning now and then. Oil will dry out and form a varnish like deposit and cause the trigger to gum up some. </div></div>

This is not meant to sound like I am questioning you, but I really would like to know how someone came up with the idea of taking the spring out of a valve stem and tossing it in their trigger? Hell, I have no clue....maybe it works awesome.....but who thinks of that?

Yeah.......spring from valve stem......huh....WFT. Who comes up w/ this stuff......What 2 old timers sitting round with all there junk cars with there guns and one says... huh wonder if that there valve spring off that there 46 study baker will work.

There was somebody on here who had a boatload of the pre-Xmark triggers for sale but I forgot who. I'd get one if it did not involve having to modify the stock to get it in. Not something I want to mess with yet. I am just going to roll with it and see how it shoots first then go from there.