• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Bombproof handguns?

Re: Bombproof handguns?

I tested an M&P for Smith and Wesson when they first arrived on the scene. I am a 1911 man at heart but after 25k rounds thru the 9mm FS M&P. I was pretty sold on them.

I love my 3 sigs. They seem to run like champs and maintain better accuracy than any of my other pistols. I have p220 Elite, P229 SAS,and a 1911 tac ops.

How about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

1000 straight rounds, something broke on it and it kept running, been too long since i watched it to remember what broke....

As my gun smith told me once, glocks are great you can basically replace the parts that might break for about $30 or so. Which means there's less to go wrong. They won't win any beauty contests but they will work when you need them to no questions asked.

in the terms of the op question , theonly guns mentioned here that would survive a 30% powder overload would be the rugers and the FA. other than that the question is meaningless

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no love for SIGs?
Is there something I'm missing about SIGs?

Enlighten me... </div></div>

They tend to be more expensive than Glocks, which in part accounts for their relative lack of popularity within a certain market demographic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 17 19 need to change the sights.

revolvers are junk in really dirty enviornments or if they get wet and freeze. Glock will keep running. HK and Sig won't. Beretta does ok but not as well as glock.

Biggest thing is if your glock does get totally funked up you can take it apart in a few min down to all the parts and clean it. Others you need a bench, tools, and at least a good 45min++++ </div></div>

Don't see why you need a bench and 45 min. to tear down a Sig or Beretta....HK....Maybe....

I actually find it easier to tear down a Sig or Beretta, you don't have to worry about lining up 2 different spring loaded tabs perfectly, just one lever that's really easy to push....

Now if you're talking removing hammers, sears, triggers, etc. o.k., but just spray with some PowderBlast or something....

Why tear down your Glock? Just put it in the dishwasher...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bellycrawl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock at half the price of well built 1911. There is always the Ruger Super Redhawk in a .454 Casul? I would love to get my hands on an Alaskan!! It looks like a solid chunk. </div></div>

Very Solid! One of the most solid wheel guns alive! But I've heard the recoil makes the .44 mag seem mild...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Medicine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is amazing what glock will go through, too bad the erognomics on them suck imo. When I push out I am aiming high. </div></div>

Thus the M&P! Seriously, reliability of Glocks, with the pointability of a good 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gondy223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A springfield XD .40 </div></div>

My opinion and experience with the XD...shot one XD 9mm and jammed twice in one session. Shot another XD 9mm 5" tactical jammed once in another session. Shot two separate XDm in .40 and both jammed during the range visit. All 4 had horrible, shitty, spongy triggers. Not knocking the XD, I just think a Glock, M&P or CZ (my preference) would serve the user better. My CZ P01 is accurate and I've thrown it in the dirt and mud and it has never jammed on me. I did dump it in sand and it jammed on the first round but I did let sand get into the action. CZ top pick.

Have an XD and put thousands of rounds through it; never had one FTF or FTE. I have seen XD's at the range mostly being shot by women shooters that would stove pipe, but i believe this to be due to the lack of most women not holding the gun properly or having weaker wrist. If the XD is not held properly then the gun can not function properly. I have also never had the roll pin problem that most experience; Fingers crossed that my XD will keep making me proud.

Dude, grab yourself a Glock its simple, least amount of moving parts, field proven, spare mags and holsters are everywhere, its moron proof and about as "bomb proof" you can get. see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_53z4S5-Y4

there are LOTS of these videos on line for a reason.

The damn thing works.

I would also bet my life on my Glock, on and off duty. I love the damn thing. Don't know how many rounds I have put through mine but I have never had one FTF,FTE...nothing. I would guess some where around the 3,500 round mark and has gone bang every time. My last qualify was a ragged hole about the size of a baseball with a few flyers around it and that is a timed qualify out to 25 yards.

There are more expensive and pretty guns out there, and I own them. But my Glock goes with me everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no love for SIGs?

I think they are awesome, but like VeerG was mentioning the price point of the Glock will seal that deal.
The Sig trigger and reset is much preferred by me.

For just pure use, Glocks in 9mm.

HK USP or Mark23 .45.

I have a USP .40 fullsize (first pistol I bought actually). It's fired over 500,000 rounds and it still goes bang when the trigger is pulled. Only thing replaced at this point is the recoil spring (although the accuracy is a bit decreased from what it was new). I'm probably going to put a new barrel in it pretty soon. I've had the gun x-ray'd, each individual component separately, to check for stress cracking, possible failure points, etc... There are none. To me, a half a million rounds+ through a handgun and it's still heading to the range with me...well, that's a testament to bombproof.

--Wintermute

There is a reason all custom smiths use Rugers to build 5 shot guns in 500 Linebaugh.

Glock for sure but my FNP Tactical 45 is pretty bomb proof too!

Glock is a truck, P226 is a truck with leather seats. They will all fail under the right (wrong?) circumstances, but the sig is much nicer to shoot IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corbon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In terms of durability and reliability, which handgun/s would be comparable to an AIAW/AIAX, which are known for these features? Glock 17, HK USP .45ACP, etc? </div></div>

Ed Brown 1911 45 acp

CZ 75 P01/SP01

"The P-01 is the only NATO spec pistol on the market that is available to the public. After 3 years of the most aggressive small arms testing ever by any manufacturer for any pistol, the CZ P-01 won the honor of replacing the CZ 75's previously used by the Czech National Police.

Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no love for SIGs?

They tend to be more expensive than Glocks, which in part accounts for their relative lack of popularity within a certain market demographic. </div></div>
They also tend to be less robust and QC has gone south.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juice5610</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ 75 P01/SP01

"The P-01 is the only NATO spec pistol on the market that is available to the public. </div></div>
Damn, I didn't know Glock wasn't available to the public!
grin.gif
Beretta MRBF 35000!

S&W 625.
Big bullet, big frame, low pressure. It will last many moons.